Why the hate for Dave Matthews Band?

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Really, I've seen it quite a bit on this forum. Friends of mine with similar taste in music also tend to frown on them, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I realize some of their stuff is top-40ish, but for the most part they are an original band that incorporates a lot of styles to put out great songs. Crash is my favorite album of theirs. I saw all you naysayers listen to the entire album. If you still can't stand them so be it, I just still wouldn't understand how. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Ignorance. Haters hear some of the radio songs and think that's it. Everyone should see them live. I saw them Friday night and it was amazing. I was groovin' just as much as I was at the Forum for PJ. DMB put in as much energy in their shows as PJ and tour every year. My love for PJ and DMB is equal and I was suprised when I joined this little cult that there are so many DMB haters here. Now I have to get ready to see DMB at the Hollywood Bowl tonight.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    cutback wrote:
    Ignorance. Haters hear some of the radio songs and think that's it. Everyone should see them live. I saw them Friday night and it was amazing. I was groovin' just as much as I was at the Forum for PJ. DMB put in as much energy in their shows as PJ and tour every year. My love for PJ and DMB is equal and I was suprised when I joined this little cult that there are so many DMB haters here. Now I have to get ready to see DMB at the Hollywood Bowl tonight.

My little brother is a huge fan - he has spent years trying to get me into their stuff (made me numerous DMB mix CDs) and I just can't stand him/them....boring/wanky college frat boy music
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • sorry, this doesn't apply to everyone. i've seen them live about 7 times now, and my hatred grows each time. i just don't like the guy's voice or the band's music.

having said that, i have tremendous respect for dave and his work with farm aid etc. i think he's a pretty cool guy, and i'm sure the band members are too. i just don't like their music.

WTF you can't avoid going to see them? my ex goes posts on a DMB board and i'm pretty sure that there is a whole lot less haters there. people here just hate on everything, i think it is their therapy.

i saw DMB live a year ago and it was an excellent show. they are a hell of a live band and dave matthews was excellent. best DMB album: before these crowed streets. it seems like their darkest album and it has so many of their best songs. crUsh is one of the best songs ever recorded. 2nd fav album: the lilly white sessions (that i'm pretty sure is unreleased)
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • 3 farms aids, once opening up for neil young and crazy horse, and 3 bridge school benefits.

good for a piss break. i'll give them that.

well, those sound like some overall excellent concerts. i would love to see neil. i think that is the next ultimate concert for me.
  • Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    best DMB album: before these crowed streets. it seems like their darkest album and it has so many of their best songs. crUsh is one of the best songs ever recorded. 2nd fav album: the lilly white sessions (that i'm pretty sure is unreleased)
    Completely agree with that, BTCS is by far one of the best albums I've ever heard. Not a bad song on there, and I get chills listening to Spoon each time.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Todd76 wrote:
    My little brother is a huge fan - he has spent years trying to get me into their stuff (made me numerous DMB mix CDs) and I just can't stand him/them....boring/wanky college frat boy music

I have seen my fair share of frat guys at Pearl Jam concerts, like it or not, Pearl Jam is high on the frat guy list
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Honestly, I don't like Dave's singing voice and I find the music to be quite boring. And that is why I don't like Dave Matthews Band.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I dislike them for some of the same reasons that I dislike RCHP.
    1) The vocals.....just don't like them....either band.
    2) Their groove or sound or whatever you want to call it.........just don't catch it.
    3) Both are bands that the media likes to push down our throats.

I don't like them, Sam I am.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I have seen my fair share of frat guys at Pearl Jam concerts, like it or not, Pearl Jam is high on the frat guy list

no doubt - it was always one of my issues/problems with being a Pearl Jam fan when I was young....their fanbase always embaressed me to the point where I didnt admit to being a PJ fan....I have outgrown that now and realize that its not the bands fault, and besides most of those fans have gotten lost along the way

"Its not the band I hate, Its their fans" - Coax Me by Sloan
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • I used to be a fan of DMB until I recently went to see them live. It was the seccond time I had seen them. The first concert was really great, but I must say this last time was a waste of 2 hours. I didn't even stay for the whole show. I mean, when you open a concert with a 25 minute jam that just goes no where (trust me, it didn't go anywhere, no solos, no vocals, nothing. It just sounded like evryone was standing around waiting for some one to solo and no one ever did). After that, it all went down hill. I couldn't beleive it, but that first song was not the worst part of the concert.
    Show me potato salald!!!
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I've seen them at two Farm Aids and multiple Bridge School Benefits. I also saw them at a benefit in NYC. I also attended the show at Scott Stadium in Charlottesville in 2001 when Neil Young & Crazy Horse opened for the DMB. I know it's Dave's hometown but that is just not right. I can't stand Dave's music, lyrics, or singing. The band jams aimlessly to no apparent purpose. That said, I admire their dedication to playing charity shows.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • I dunno why but i've never really got into them. The tunes and the live jams are just uninteresting to me. The Drummer (Carter i think his name is) is really good though and yeah they do seem to do a lot for good causes.

In summation good ethics, good morals, good drummer but no good tunes. Cant see why people would hate them though
    www.myspace.com/dhmarks - Me

www.myspace.com/jackietreehornmusic - The Band
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    excuse me while I create a seperate thread about how bad DMB is.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    sorry, this doesn't apply to everyone. i've seen them live about 7 times now, and my hatred grows each time. i just don't like the guy's voice or the band's music.

Sounds like you really dislike them...seeing them 7 times and all. I'm not saying this in support of DMB but why do you continue to see them if you hate them so much? Usually you avoid the bands you hate IMO. I don't even think that I've seen my favourite bands 7 times.
  • funkymonk wrote:
    Sounds like you really dislike them...seeing them 7 times and all. I'm not saying this in support of DMB but why do you continue to see them if you hate them so much? Usually you avoid the bands you hate IMO. I don't even think that I've seen my favourite bands 7 times.

He/She already answered this. Why do you post without reading the thread?
    www.myspace.com/dhmarks - Me

www.myspace.com/jackietreehornmusic - The Band
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I love them. I hate how everyone in high school thinks it's cool to "love" Dave, but his music is creative and fun, and he puts on one hell of a show. Stand Up is utter shit, and one of the worst albums I've ever heard, but you can't deny that Dancing Nancies, What Would You Say, Don't Drink The Water, Two Step, Jimi Thing, and such songs are really, really good.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    I don't know ... I can get into much jam band music, but DMB still eludes me. Maybe if these guys WERE more of a jam band, I'd start to dig them. Talented musicians, but much of the music bores me. There's no edge. I am also more of a guitar-keys only kind of guy. The extra instrumentation is lost on me, I think.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    It doesn't help that the best studio album they've released in the past 8 years was one they were forced to release by bootleggers and the internet. They have proven again and again they can screw up the best live songs when taking them into the studio, their last two albums they wanted to make(Everyday & Stand Up) are both horrible.

They are still a good band, their pre-Everyday stuff is great, mainly BTCS and UTT&D. Their live shows are great.

I understand and agree with all hate that comes at them about their past 6-7 years, but they did put out two great albums which is two more than most bands ever do.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I like DMB. I think their last few albums have been on the crappy side however.

I don't care if other PJ fans don't like DMB, not every type of music if for everyone, but it really pisses me off when they say he and the band "sucks".

"Oh Dave sucks!"
    "Oh DMB blows!!"

That really shows the ignorance of some on this board. There are a lot of bands I don't like, but can still see the musical talent within the group.

I've seen DMB twice. One show was really good, the other quite bad.
    I missed out on seeing them in Phoenix recently...doh!
  • Yeah the last couple of cd's have been pretty average (a kind summation) but they still can bring it in the live format. A 25 minute Seek Up opener is great IMO but maybe boring to others...to each their own. I didn't take to them very much at first but I guess it's an acquired taste, the generalzations about them are quite humorous though.
    hate was just a legend
  • I love the Dave Matthews Band. Some of my best memories from the past few summers involve travelling to various cities for Dave Matthews Band shows (D.C., Buffalo, Hershey, State College). I have never cared about who I am associated with if I like a band. That is a sad way to go through life.

That being said, I have to say something from experience. I always laugh when someone picks the fans as an argument as to why PJ is better than DMB.I have seen DMB and Pearl Jam each over 10 times and I can say without a doubt that the fans at Dave Matthews shows are SSOOOOOOO much better than Pearl Jam fans. Pearl Jam is the greatest band in the world, but fans at their shows are hands down the rudest, most completely oblivious people I have ever seen. And I have sat everywhere, from 10 club seats to the back of the lawn, and there is little to no variance. I remember pulling into the lot at this years Pittsburgh show and after seeing the people I was totally convinced it was going to be another Altamont.

I can tolerate it for 2 1/2 hours of Pearl Jam, but it is really annoying..
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    tybird wrote:
    I dislike them for some of the same reasons that I dislike RCHP.
    1) The vocals.....just don't like them....either band.
    2) Their groove or sound or whatever you want to call it.........just don't catch it.
    3) Both are bands that the media likes to push down our throats.

I don't like them, Sam I am.

Hilarious....

I don't like them in a boat...

I don't like them with a goat...

:-) I think Dave and the band are great musicians, but I never really took a liking to them either.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    THE DMB are great at what they do...they are skilled musicians who offer a great background for a festive night. I have never really understood why they are so huge, but they are sort of a Jimmy Buffet for the young kids.

PJ is more about the songs and the intensity, while DMB is more about the party.

Each band has built a nice franchise, but I will take PJ any day of the week!
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Todd76 wrote:
    "Its not the band I hate, Its their fans" - Coax Me by Sloan

This is me. I liked Crash, but the first time I went to a DMB show, I was pissed at the fans that they attract. I'm not going to generalize that the fans are like this at every venue, but Dave Matthews comes to an amphitheatre every summer here, for two nights in a row every time. The fans at his show (here, in upstate NY anyway) are the rudest mofos I've ever encountered. They destroy the park, litter everywhere and harass each and every person in sight. Multiple fights are started. It certainly isn't safe to bring a minor to the show. Luckily, we didn't even make it inside the show when we decided to scalp our tickets, we were that fed up. The guy who bought them mistakenly gave us a $100 bill when he thought he gave us a $20. So, we made out in the end. :)
    I know that the fans here are the same way every year, because I drive through the park the next morning, and it's practically destroyed. No other act to come here causes that much cleanup.
  • EnigmaEnigma Posts: 59
    For the most part, I like the band. UTT&D, Crash, and Before These Crowded Streets all contain a consistent quality throughout. They are all very skilled musicians and would love to experience their live act. I own the Central Park album and must say that they trump a lot of other live acts out there (Beauford...wow).

However, there are some songs that bug the hell out of me. I get that adult-soft-rock vibe that feels way too cheesy for my liking. And that's when I simply press the button to skip it.
  • I was offered a ride to the Gorge this weekend as well as tickets to the DMB shows.

I happily declined :)
    NERDS!
  • I love the Dave Matthews Band. Some of my best memories from the past few summers involve travelling to various cities for Dave Matthews Band shows (D.C., Buffalo, Hershey, State College). I have never cared about who I am associated with if I like a band. That is a sad way to go through life.

That being said, I have to say something from experience. I always laugh when someone picks the fans as an argument as to why PJ is better than DMB.I have seen DMB and Pearl Jam each over 10 times and I can say without a doubt that the fans at Dave Matthews shows are SSOOOOOOO much better than Pearl Jam fans. Pearl Jam is the greatest band in the world, but fans at their shows are hands down the rudest, most completely oblivious people I have ever seen. And I have sat everywhere, from 10 club seats to the back of the lawn, and there is little to no variance. I remember pulling into the lot at this years Pittsburgh show and after seeing the people I was totally convinced it was going to be another Altamont.

I can tolerate it for 2 1/2 hours of Pearl Jam, but it is really annoying..

lmao. i don't know if your generalization is true. people are very nice at every show i've been to, PJ and DMB included. but hey, i'm a nice guy. actually, the PJ and DMB fans may be the best relatively best groomed. two dedicated groups of people for sure. but i think your generalization may be true for the fans that post on the bulliten boards; of those fans, definately the PJ variety win the rudeness award.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,133
    I think that the members of DMB are talented musicians and do a lot of good with the charity concerts that they put on. I just don't like their music. For me, it's just a personal taste. I don't particularly care for his vocals and I'm not a big jam band fan, so there's two negatives right there for me. Do I care if you like them? No, to each their own and if someone finds inspiration or meaning in their music like I have found from some of my favorite bands, then more power to them.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    wasn't it dave matthews that used the lyrics to ring around the rosie in the bridge of one of his songs?
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    gabers wrote:
    Really, I've seen it quite a bit on this forum. Friends of mine with similar taste in music also tend to frown on them, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I realize some of their stuff is top-40ish, but for the most part they are an original band that incorporates a lot of styles to put out great songs. Crash is my favorite album of theirs. I saw all you naysayers listen to the entire album. If you still can't stand them so be it, I just still wouldn't understand how. :)

i like jimi thing, and two step. i can't listen to a whole album or more than one song at a time. his voice is annoying and the music is campy.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan