Queensryche - Empire

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I got the urge to give it a spin and am listening to it right now. They unfairly got lumped into the whole hair metal genre, but these guys had a totally different sound than those other bands. I'd say that and Shake Your Money Maker by the Black Crowes were the best rock albums of 1990. Discuss.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    gabers wrote:
    I got the urge to give it a spin and am listening to it right now. They unfairly got lumped into the whole hair metal genre, but these guys had a totally different sound than those other bands. I'd say that and Shake Your Money Maker by the Black Crowes were the best rock albums of 1990. Discuss.
    what a great band.....they were seattle before seattle. and the tour was great for empire.

operation mindcrime is still played frequently with me.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    One of my favorite bands growing up.
    I still listen to them a lot.

I saw thwm last summer with Heaven And Hell.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    mindcrime is STILL in my top 5...ever.

my first car had EMPIRE vanity plates :D . hey, I was young. Great CD, awesome band. they will always remain one of my favorites.

Anybody here have the Anybody Listening? CD single with their version of Scarborough Fair on it? Not that you need another example on how powerful his voice is...but DAMN.
  • Very underated album
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Mindcrime was a great album too, I think now I prefer Empire though. Didn't they release a Mindcrime II or something like that?
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    gabers wrote:
    Mindcrime was a great album too, I think now I prefer Empire though. Didn't they release a Mindcrime II or something like that?
    they did. VERY respectable also. I can't say the same for their 3 releases before it.

I don't think there was a bad note to be found on anywhere up to and including Promised Land.
  • I remember seeing them open for Metallica.....it was practically a doubleheadliner as they were awesome.

I still break out Mindcrime and Empire once in a while
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I bought this album, on tape, back in '90 when I first heard the song Empire, love that tune. I never was a huge fan of Silent Lucidity but just looking at the tracklist again reminds me of many great songs, Best I can, Jet City Woman, Another Rainy Night. Now I want to hear this again, I'll have to download from itunes.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I love this album!

When I was in eighth grade, I rode to school with a junior and he would play mix tapes all the time. I wasn't into rock music at all and I remember he had a tape with "Love in an Elevator" and "Empire" on it. I remember not being sure if the beginning of "Empire" (ie "next message, it's starting to hit me like a two ton....") was from "Empire" or "Elevator" since "Elevator" has that talking part in the beginning.

I also had the tape. I don't listen to it often, but I always love when any song off "Empire" comes on shuffle on my ipod.

I have always meant to give "Mindcrime" a try but never got around to it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Operation Mindcrime is a masterpiece.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Caught them last week in NJ. They played 4 tracks off of Empire. Tate still has his pipes. Only one Mindcrime song though, which was a bit disappointing.
  • Empire is a great album, though Mindcrime is superior. Promised Land is right up there too.

They're still worth seeing if you get the chance, since Tate still has his voice. I think there's been a lot of turnover in the rest of the band though.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Mindcrime was and is simply an INCREDIBLE album!!!!!!
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    i dont really care for them....
  • Agree with those that said Mindcrime is phenomenal. From start to finish. Love Empire but not from start to finish.
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I once owned the Empire tape..and yes it was a great album..it stand above most of the glam metal stuff that was sounding around those years. As a matter of fact i could manage to download it just to give it a hear (maybe after 10 years or so). Queensryche delivered some good music with it.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    I'm still a fan. They keep on touring and as mentioned put out a sequel to their Mindcrime album. I'll be seeing them in Seattle in a couple of weeks. They're playing some rarities and most of their hits this tour, so it should be a great show.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08