Lost in the shuffle

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited February 2008 in Other Music
This thread is dedicated to bands that you like, but really nobody else you know gets in to. For me, it's the Hooters. I've always liked them - remember them? They played at Live Aid! They had some minor hits (And We Danced, Day by Day, Satellite). But they quickly faded away I almost never meet anyone that calls themselves a fan. Truth be told, I actually got my wife into appreciating them. But other than that, they've mostly been written off as an 80's flash in the pan band. That's fine with me, I just disagree. I'd imagine I'd get the same response from this lot. But do you like similar bands?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    two bands I've always loved very much, that don't exist anymore and that aren't loved enough:
    Pulp
    Reef
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I have the 2 Hooters CD's (they may have more, don't know) and I enjoy them. I imagine they didn't do themselves any favors by naming themselves the Hooters.

I love All You Zombies and Johnny B plus those you mentioned. I'd lump bands like Hootie and the Blowfish into that category.

Sometimes I don't want my music to try to save the world.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    transplant wrote:

I may have to steal that quote - it's a good one.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    transplant wrote:
    I have the 2 Hooters CD's (they may have more, don't know) and I enjoy them. I imagine they didn't do themselves any favors by naming themselves the Hooters.

I love All You Zombies and Johnny B plus those you mentioned. I'd lump bands like Hootie and the Blowfish into that category.

They have four major label albums (I own them all). One of the band members wrote "One of Us" for Joan Osborne and co-wrote "Time After Time" for Cyndi Lauper. So they've got that going for them. Apparently they're big in Germany. Their official website has a German address.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I love that song "And We Danced".
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    'All You Zombies' was a cool song for it's time.

For me it is The Freddie Jones Band. Enjoyed North Avenue Wake Up Call while boozing in Milwaukee one night at The Harp, and went out and bought that cd.
    I love to turn you on
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I got one Reef cd and thought it was pretty good

And I also liked the quote about listening to music that isn't trying to save the world - hence my appreciation of Def Leppard and Van Halen

On topic, I really like Steve Hackett, former guitarist for Genesis. Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel cast really big shadows, but Hackett is top notch

In terms of recent bands, I think that Seven Mary Three kind of got lost in the shuffle in the midst of the late 90's proto grunge bands - they were pretty good. Son Volt and the Jayhawks never get the credit they deserve, either.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    wcsmith wrote:
    And I also liked the quote about listening to music that isn't trying to save the world - hence my appreciation of Def Leppard and Van Halen

Yeah that was a good quote. I listen to a lot of 80s pop. Sometimes it fun just to listen to a song with a great hook and beat.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • T C HT C H Posts: 85
    Pearl Jam
    I've got a Gibson without a case, but I can't get that even tanned look on my face...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i have The Hooters Nervous Night on vinyl and i have to say it has a very very strong Side A:
    And We Danced
    Day By Day
    All You Zombies
    Don't Take My Car Out Tonight (this song is amazing)

Side B is very shitty though..... Blood From A Stone is horrible.

the record after this one was good too including Johnny B, Satellite, Gaveyard Waltz, Karla With A K... etc. Philly represent!!!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    gabers wrote:
    I may have to steal that quote - it's a good one.
    thank you. steal it.

too bad you can't edit the title of this thread to be The Official Hooters Appreciation Thread :D

I find this thread...oddly...refreshing.