Options

The Cranberries

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited June 2006 in Other Music
So do we have any Cranberries fans on the board? I always wanted to see them live but never got a chance before they split up. I've got my music on shuffle here at the office and just listened to "Daffodil Lament". Not to get too girly or anything but that is just one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. "Ode to my Family" is another that gets me feeling all mushy inside. They also have great rock songs too. Oh how do I miss them. Does anyone know if they've talked about getting back together at all?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Cant stand them myself but my gf loves them.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    their first record everybody else is doing it so why can't we? is one of my very favorites. i never liked anything else they did.
  • Options
    i Fucking Love the Cranberries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they have always been one of my favorite bands, i fell in love with them when i was like 12, with their first album and have been loving every album since. i had tix to see them when i was a freshamn in highschool in 96, but they cancel because dolores was sick, it was probably the most devastating thing in my life, and i never got to see them afterwards!!

i really wish they got back together and started touring agagin or a new album
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    We saw them at the Gorge in the late 90's. Pretty good concert. It's the only time we've been to the Gorge, so I'm excited to be going again. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    I tried to get into them in 1994 or 1995 based on the strength of Zombie, but it just wasn't my thing.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    ugh, that voice just kills me to hear it. makes me wish i didn't have a sense of hearing whenever it hits my ears.
  • Options
    Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    I like the Cranberries....I have all their albums...saw them twice live....they put on a good show....their last 2 albums are very lacklustre....I always enjoy listening to them
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i kinda say them...they played 1 1/2 songs at a free show in DC that got shut down :( i liked the 1 1/2 songs, tho :D
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    I like them, I saw them live a few years ago when I was living in Ontario at Massey Hall which is a tiny place so it was a great show, I was only a couple of rows back. Their older stuff is better, "No Need to Argue" is my favourite. Not really comparable to Pearl Jam live (now that I've finally seen them!) but with a venue that size you can't go wrong - they got me hooked on their opening band as well (Flickerstick) - I actually didn't know they had broken up though, I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything new lately!
    walk the bridges before you burn them down...
  • Options
    imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    Love love...the Cranberries!!! I would play them allll the time!!!!
    I've started listening to flyleaf...they kinda remind me of the harder side of Cranberries like "Zombie". Give them a listen, as soon as you log onto their site "I'm So Sick" starts playing...just give it a few seconds, it starts slow them rocks out!!! http://www.flyleafmusic.com
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Options
    absolute love for the cranberries! saw them only once in toronto at the molson ampitheatre...front row centre...delores sang a cover of patsy cline's "crazy" and sang the last few lines while looking directly at me...:) excellent show!

delores is supposed to have a solo album coming out in early summer, but i haven't heard a release date yet. i'm anxious to hear it.
  • Options
    U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    Yeah The Cranberries were a great band,....did they ever release a Greatest Hits or Singles collection?
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    zombie zombie zombie yodeliayho
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    gabers wrote:
    So do we have any Cranberries fans on the board? I always wanted to see them live but never got a chance before they split up. I've got my music on shuffle here at the office and just listened to "Daffodil Lament". Not to get too girly or anything but that is just one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. "Ode to my Family" is another that gets me feeling all mushy inside. They also have great rock songs too. Oh how do I miss them. Does anyone know if they've talked about getting back together at all?

Zombie was the shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
  • Options
    U2rocks wrote:
    Yeah The Cranberries were a great band,....did they ever release a Greatest Hits or Singles collection?

"stars" was the greatest hits 92-02 collection. i'm trying to think now if there was ever a rarities collection...because they had some great tunes not on albums...cordell, so cold in ireland, god be with you ireland (delores solo...)...
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I love them, but i never saw them live. Daffodil Lament is a very pretty song. :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    Great, thanks for the info
  • Options
    treasure box! that's what i was trying to think of...has pretty much everything they recorded for each of the first four albums in a box set...even has delores' duet with Pavarotti, Ave Maria... and yeah, songs like cordell, their cover of "go your own way", liar (from the empire records soundtrack)...all very good tunes...and the ones i mentioned before...

anyway...treasure box...that's the one...:)
  • Options
    LMMFAO!!! Those songs used to make me laugh so much! See below why...

ZOMBIE:
    "With their tanks and their bums, and they're bums, and their guns"

YEAT'S GRAVE:
    "Why do I sit here in the grave?"

I JUST SHOT JOHN LENNON:
    "It was the fearful night of Dec. 8th/he was returning home from the studio late" (fake gunshots and all... a bit much I think)

ANIMAL INSTINCT:
    "Something happened to me/While I was having a cup of tea"

DESPERATE ANDY:
    "Isn't it dandy/ralralalallala/tralalalalla/you're so randy/andy"

...the most uninspiring songwriting ever!
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Saw them in the Woodlands in 1996 with Toad the wet sprocket as the opening act. Cranberries put on a great live show- I was impressed. Although I quit listening to them after "to the Faithful departed" record. I really enjoyed their love show, and just figured that their time in the limelight as far as catering to an American audience had faded. Dolorace (sp) has a beautiful voice though- too bad they split up.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options

ZOMBIE:

YEAT'S GRAVE:
    "Why do I sit here in the grave?"

I JUST SHOT JOHN LENNON:
    "It was the fearful night of Dec. 8th/he was returning home from the studio late" (fake gunshots and all... a bit much I think)

ANIMAL INSTINCT:
    "Something happened to me/While I was having a cup of tea"

DESPERATE ANDY:
    "Isn't it dandy/ralralalallala/tralalalalla/you're so randy/andy"

maybe you were laughing because you got the lyrics wrong? :)

not really a fan of desparate andy myself, either.
  • Options
    bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    my fav is "Promises"-that fucker is a rocker
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Used to enjoy them, but the voice eventually wore on me.'

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    my fav is "Promises"-that fucker is a rocker

That is a good one. :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757

ZOMBIE:

bombs...not bums
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    her voice allways annoyed me!!! Its like nails on a chalkboard, even worse than the wolfmother lead singer and that says something!!
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    Saw them in the Woodlands in 1996 with Toad the wet sprocket as the opening act. Cranberries put on a great live show- I was impressed. Although I quit listening to them after "to the Faithful departed" record. I really enjoyed their love show, and just figured that their time in the limelight as far as catering to an American audience had faded. Dolorace (sp) has a beautiful voice though- too bad they split up.

No way! My girlfriend had won front row tickets to that show but I couldn't it make it. I was so bummed. That was my biggest missed concert opportunity ever!
  • Options
    ***repost***
  • Options
    ***repost***
  • Options
    imspinnin wrote:
    Love love...the Cranberries!!! I would play them allll the time!!!!
    I've started listening to flyleaf...they kinda remind me of the harder side of Cranberries like "Zombie". Give them a listen, as soon as you log onto their site "I'm So Sick" starts playing...just give it a few seconds, it starts slow them rocks out!!! http://www.flyleafmusic.com

I liked it until it sounded like she got sick on herself. ;)