Options

bee girl

BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
edited May 2008 in The Porch
my girlfriend just called and on her way to work they played "bee girl" on the radio. she was pretty sure it was the song but was shocked by it being on the radio. afterwards the dj said that was eddie vedder with a tribute to shannon hoon from bind melon. he didn't die in may though, it was october. not sure why it was played. especially since our radio stations suck in lexington and usually only play metallica, acdc, and kid rock. rarely do they even play the usual pearl jam radio songs.
Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    :eek:

The DJ must like that song...
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    ?
    that song was written before Hoon died i'm pretty sure. i don't think the DJ knows what the hell he's talking about.
  • Options
    Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    Wtf? How dare you compare AC/DC to those other two! If I knew a station that played AC/DC regularly I'd be delighted. :cool:
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    i used to like ac/dc but i am sick of them. maybe you should move to lexington so you can hear them all the time. you will be sick of them too.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Fuck ACDC. So overrated.

That's interesting about Bee Girl being on the radio. Very unusual. The most obscure PJ song I've heard on the radio is Yellow Ledbetter. Other than that it's usually stuff from Ten or Vs with something from a newer album every once in a while.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    ?
    that song was written before Hoon died i'm pretty sure. i don't think the DJ knows what the hell he's talking about.

its not about hoon, in any way shape or form.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Fuck ACDC. So overrated.

I agree...except I think the Bon Scott stuff was pretty good.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    its not about hoon, in any way shape or form.

Well. . . it is about the bee girl in their video

sorta of related i suppose
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    Monkey WrenchMonkey Wrench Posts: 104
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Fuck ACDC. So overrated.

That's interesting about Bee Girl being on the radio. Very unusual. The most obscure PJ song I've heard on the radio is Yellow Ledbetter.

Yellow Ledbetter Obscure? This song is a staple on most toronto area stations!
    Monkey Wrench

Molson Park, Barrie - Aug 92
    CNE, Toronto - Aug 93
    Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto - Sep 96
    Molson Park, Barrie - Aug 98
    Air Canada Center, Toronto - Oct 00
    Copps Collesium, Hamilton - Sep 05
    ACC, Toronto - Sep 05
    ACC - Toronto - Tour Launch - Show I - May 06
    Chicago, IL - August 2009
    East Troy WI - Sept 3 & 4 2011 - PJ TWENTY
    Toronto, Ontario - Sept 11, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland - June 2010
    Belfast, Ireland - June 2010
    Buffalo, NY - Oct 2013
    Toronto, Canada - May 2016
  • Options
    How good is that tune !! it's the perfect accompanyment to any situation,
    formerly the artist known as MASSIVEOZPJFAN
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Fuck ACDC. So overrated.

That's interesting about Bee Girl being on the radio. Very unusual. The most obscure PJ song I've heard on the radio is Yellow Ledbetter.

Yellow Ledbetter Obscure? This song is a staple on most toronto area stations!

Yea, I hear YL constantly on the radio. You probably meant 'obscure' because it was a b-side but it's definitely played a lot.

In fact I used to get into trouble at work because as soon as the radio started playing it I would get up and leave. Get it? Like at PJ shows? How everyone leaves? Hahahaha.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    crazyindigo82crazyindigo82 Posts: 133
    I coulda swore ed wrote bee girl in the bad radio days... anyone know this for sure??
    Up here so high I start to shake...
    Up here so high the sky I scrape...
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest...
    Just like my innocence...
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Bee Girl has no link to Blind Melon whatsoever, look here:

http://www.korat.co.il/pearljam/Ibook/Other/beegirl.html

Ed dedicated Bob Dylan's song "Forever Young" to Shannon in 2004:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TYzPwceEa1Y
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I coulda swore ed wrote bee girl in the bad radio days... anyone know this for sure??

Nah ... Ed and Jeff improvised it on Rockline. Couldn't have been a holdover from Bad Radio. No Rain came out in 1993 ... meaning there was no "Bee Girl" to sing about until at least then
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    elmer wrote:
    Bee Girl has no link to Blind Melon whatsoever, look here:

http://www.korat.co.il/pearljam/Ibook/Other/beegirl.html

Ed dedicated Bob Dylan's song "Forever Young" to Shannon in 2004:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TYzPwceEa1Y

Yipes. You're wrong twice.

The "9 year old girl in the video" Ed mentions was in the Blind Melon video for No Rain.

And that version of Forever Young was not dedicated to Shannon Hoon. That is a You Tube myth.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Yipes. You're wrong twice.

The "9 year old girl in the video" Ed mentions was in the Blind Melon video for No Rain.

And that version of Forever Young was not dedicated to Shannon Hoon. That is a You Tube myth.
    Fuck! :)

If the quote is true, then why'd he think her obnoxious? Doesn't seem to be playing up in the video, or is that the moniker he's given her having viewed her in something else?

I was a lil dubious about the Dylan song seeing that it was in 2004, found it mentioned on giventowail and although the page wouldn't open I just thought fuck it, this'll do!
  • Options
    Don't care who's wrong and who's right but I found this on YouTube and being a HUUUUGE Shannon fan, felt the need to share...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYzPwceEa1Y

Peace ya'll
    Up here so high I start to shake...
    Up here so high the sky I scrape...
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest...
    Just like my innocence...
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    elmer wrote:
    Fuck! :)

If the quote is true, then why'd he think her obnoxious? Doesn't seem to be playing up in the video, or is that the moniker he's given her having viewed her in something else?

I was a lil dubious about the Dylan song seeing that it was in 2004, found it mentioned on giventowail and although the page wouldn't open I just thought fuck it, this'll do!

In the liner notes for Lost Dogs Ed said he met her somewhere with her mother, and he was chatting to her, and she was rude / swept up in her own hype, and that he was concerned about a kid forgetting to enjoy childhood.
    he said the song was about "hoping that she was ok" or something to that effect
  • Options
    DazzlerDazzler Grimsby, UK Posts: 109
    As I recall, she was the final 'Act' at the MTV Music Awards 93, just prancing around on-stage in her Bee outfit, along to No Rain, as the closing credits came up.
    And that was after the Pearl Jam/Neil Young highlight of the evening!
    I guess that was why Ed was worried about her 'celebrity,' and "Bee Girl," the radio improv, was recorded the following month in Oct 93