Coldplay finally did it

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited December 2007 in Other Music
I've decided they finally made their epic U2 anthem with "Fix You". I really didn't care for the new album, but this one song might have made up for the rest of the boring material.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hmm.. I don't get excited about 'epic U2 anthems' sorry.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    not a coldplay fan really but they have a few great songs....Politik is their one i think stands out. Blast that one up loud and it certainly feels anthemy.

as for the U2 connection, i assume you mean the whole "stadium full of people waving lighters" type of anthem? can see how fix you fits that bill alright. Everythings not lost is another one
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    This song is no different than the rest of their music........by the way, the album has already been out for a few years
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    one day they will release a best of compilation that will have all their mildly worthwhile songs on it on one disc. and i will buy that and never need any more coldplay again.
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    how could anyone not love the history coldplay have put together

if anyone here says i dont love coldplay i wont believe them

look at the grace involved with them
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    This song is no different than the rest of their music........by the way, the album has already been out for a few years

Yeah, I realize that. I suppose I worded it wrong. My point is, they made the epic song they'd been trying to find. Not to say everyone likes it, just like not everyone likes U2, even the Joshua Tree, although I find it hard to believe that someone who likes rock music can actually say they don't like the Joshua Tree, and mean it.
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    deadnote wrote:

I dont like Coldplay. Believe it.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Terrible band
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    gabers wrote:
    Yeah, I realize that. I suppose I worded it wrong. My point is, they made the epic song they'd been trying to find. Not to say everyone likes it, just like not everyone likes U2, even the Joshua Tree, although I find it hard to believe that someone who likes rock music can actually say they don't like the Joshua Tree, and mean it.

They had already made some epic songs........remember The Scientist?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    deadnote wrote:

grace?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    I dig the coldplay

good music and the first record is outstanding
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    puke, unsubscribe
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Get_Right wrote:
    I dig the coldplay

good music and the first record is outstanding

The biggest problem with Coldplay is that they got away from what made them good. That first record was awesome because it was simple music with simple melodies. Then they started to try to become to clever and too ambitious with their sound. End result, their last album, which was really bad for the most part. Some bands can branch out, Coldplay is not one of them.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Igottago wrote:
    The biggest problem with Coldplay is that they got away from what made them good. That first record was awesome because it was simple music with simple melodies. Then they started to try to become to clever and too ambitious with their sound. End result, their last album, which was really bad for the most part. Some bands can branch out, Coldplay is not one of them.

I agree. I loved Parachutes. Back then they were "indie". Then Rush of Blood to the Head was a great rock album. There really weren't any bad songs on the album, in my opinion. The Scientist, Warning Sign, Green Eyes - all just outstanding songs. But you're right, they tried to get too ambitious on this album. They may have won more fans but lost a lot of their original fans in the process. For whatever that's worth.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    Igottago wrote:

I like all of the records

I agree X&Y suffers from overproduction, but its a decent record
    took awhile to grow on me
  • I LOVE Parachutes and Rush of Blood to the Head...but X&Y...? bad lyrics and over production...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    gabers wrote:
    I've decided they finally made their epic U2 anthem with "Fix You". I really didn't care for the new album, but this one song might have made up for the rest of the boring material.

coldplay are not a mediocre band. Martin has a real neck for melody with some "feel". i won't suck his dick, but i won't be part of the "cold play sucks" crowd. they are a talented band playing it safe. No point in hating some decent melodies irrespective of being mainstream.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick