I need some Graham Parsons recommendations

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I keep seing him being referred to as the founder of the "alt-country" sound, along with Uncle Neil. I don't believe I've ever heard his music though. Some of my favorite artists through the last 10 years or more have roots in his sound, or so I'm told. Anyone?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    If you get the G.P./Grievous Angel double disc, that's a good introduction. If you like what you hear, check out the Flying Burrito Brothers. Chris Hillman (Gram's bandmate in the Burritos, and an original member of the Byrds) is still touring - go see him if you get a chance.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    If you get the G.P./Grievous Angel double disc, that's a good introduction. If you like what you hear, check out the Flying Burrito Brothers. Chris Hillman (Gram's bandmate in the Burritos, and an original member of the Byrds) is still touring - go see him if you get a chance.

Great, I'll look for that double disc. Thanks!
  • VrJxSVrJxS Posts: 115
    I just saw a couple of 2-disc compilations @ the record store. Looked like a pretty good assortment of tunes.

Did you ever see the movie Grand Theft Parsons?? It's freakin great.
  • lukin420lukin420 Posts: 80
    The Byrds- Sweetheart of the Rodeo
    that's my personal fav gram parson's material

there's also a 2cd anthology which is pretty decent
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    firstly it's GRAM parsons. it is not graham or even short for graham. it's short for INGRAM.
    okay what you need to get besides GP and grevious angel is the comp set, sacred hearts and fallen angels. it contains stuff from right across his career.
    if you get the byrds, sweetheart of the rodeo make sure it's the reissue with the reinstated gram tracks on it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say