gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Okay, maybe they're the greatest to me, but rank them:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. The Doors
3. The Who
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Pink Floyd

This is the kind of stuff I think about in traffic. This was actually pretty difficult to do. I think if there was a classic rock station that played only music from these artists I'd listen every day. There are some other greats, of course, from that era, but there's was too much filler crap on most classic rock stations. Really, how do you go from "Wish You Were Here" to "The Boys are Back in Town"?!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    1. The Beatles
    2. Pink Floyd
    3. Jimi Hendrix
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. The Doors
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Thin Lizzy isn't 'filler' crap they are an awesome band and if you say otherwise I challenge you to fisticuffs.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    come on. no Rolling Stones?
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    come on. no Rolling Stones?

a list with no Stones or Beatles is quite faulty in my opinion

jimi hendrix, beatles, stones, doors all have got to be on there...then for me its a toss up between zeppelin and the who depending on what kind of mood i'm in
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Thin Lizzy was (is) AWESOME!

I know I'm gonna get flammed, but IMO Zep is overrated. I like them, but overrated.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    1. Neil Young (or Neil Young and Crazy Horse)
    2. Led Zeppelin
    3. The Beatles
    4. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    5. The Who
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Beatles
    Zeppelin
    Floyd
    Doors
    Hendrix
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Who
    Zeppelin
    Beatles
    Hendrix
    Springsteen
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    1. The Beatles
    2. The Doors
    3. Led Zeppelin
    4. Pink Floyd
    5. Grateful Dead
    HM: Neil Young
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • I wouldn't class The Beatles as "classic rock". They're something else. When I think classic rock, I think of a band whose sound is largely defined by the use of fuzz tone or overdrive.

So, I'll say

1 The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    2 Band of Gypsies
    3 Rolling Stones (between 1965 and 1974 especially)
    4 Pink Floyd
    5 Cream
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    To me The Beatles are "classic rock" because their music came from a time where there was a strong surge of rock music that is not my own time (I'm only 20). They were writing Sgt. Peppers and The White Album around the same time that The Doors were writing their Self-Titled, Strange Days, and Waiting For The Sun.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    1. the beatles
    2. led zeppelin
    3. the doors
    4. deep purple
    5. black sabbath, you can´t deny the greatness of those guys especially from iommi and ward...
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    1. The Beatles
    2. Grateful Dead
    3. The Doors
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. The Who

those are my top five but pink floyd, and the rolling stones needs to be mentioned as well. only 5 for the list is not enough room. if i could make it 10 i'd also add CCR, velvet underground, and the jimi hendrix experience. there were so many great classic rock bands.
  • gleemonex wrote:
    To me The Beatles are "classic rock" because their music came from a time where there was a strong surge of rock music that is not my own time (I'm only 20). They were writing Sgt. Peppers and The White Album around the same time that The Doors were writing their Self-Titled, Strange Days, and Waiting For The Sun.

Sure, Sgt Pepper might be classic rock, but Please Please Me? If I had to name a year "classic rock" came about, it'd be 1965, around the time of Dylan at Newport, or Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones. It's all in the guitar distortion, and the evolution of AOR.
  • I'd agree but dude the fuckin beatles cmon!

anyway.. going with the original list + the beatles...

1. Beatles
    2. Pink Floyd
    3. Hendrix
    4. Doors
    5. Zep
    6. Who

I'm ranking by preference.. in a serious "who's the best band' kind of question the who and zep would probably push the Doors to last.

Edit: The Beatles are classic rock because they made music in the 60s and were enormously influential, thus deserving the label "classic". It's less of a genre than a time period.

Dylan was in his own league.

double edit: Also, Revolver, The mother fucking White Album, sgt peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, Hard Day's Night, and probably others are all easily 'classic rock' albums.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I'd agree but dude the fuckin beatles cmon!

anyway.. going with the original list + the beatles...

1. Beatles
    2. Pink Floyd
    3. Hendrix
    4. Doors
    5. Zep
    6. Who

I'm ranking by preference.. in a serious "who's the best band' kind of question the who and zep would probably push the Doors to last.

Edit: The Beatles are classic rock because they made music in the 60s and were enormously influential, thus deserving the label "classic". It's less of a genre than a time period.

Dylan was in his own league.

double edit: Also, Revolver, The mother fucking White Album, sgt peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, Hard Day's Night, and probably others are all easily 'classic rock' albums.

I wasn't questioning that they're classic. They're my favourite band. I was questioning whether they were "rock". They seem to expand beyond that generic label.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Sure, Sgt Pepper might be classic rock, but Please Please Me? If I had to name a year "classic rock" came about, it'd be 1965, around the time of Dylan at Newport, or Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones. It's all in the guitar distortion, and the evolution of AOR.

classic rock has nothing to do with guitar distortion. listen to what you are saying. CLASSIC rock. it is not a genre, it is just rock music that has stood the test of time therefore becoming, "classic rock". The Beatles are definitely classic rock, and it doesn't matter what album we are talking about, if they aren't i don't know what is. Pearl Jam is also classic rock for that matter.
  • I wasn't questioning that they're classic. They're my favourite band. I was questioning whether they were "rock". They seem to expand beyond that generic label.
    ohhh.

They do go beyond labels but they're rock music through and through.

Rock/pop/pychadelic/experimental and a touch of noise rock.

So yeah they're way beyond labels but they're also definetly some kind of rock music.

As for distortion, Tiki said it.
    tiki wrote:
    classic rock has nothing to do with guitar distortion

You gonna tell me a band like Haley and the Comets aren't rock because the guitars aren't blazing with distortion? ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I'm with you Finnsbury, I wouldn't really consider the Beatles "classic rock". Plus, that would make this too hard. :)

I also forgot about Crazy Horse, so sorry Pink Floyd, consider yourselves bumped. Five bands are a bitch.
  • ohhh.

They do go beyond labels but they're rock music through and through.

Rock/pop/pychadelic/experimental and a touch of noise rock.

So yeah they're way beyond labels but they're also definetly some kind of rock music.

As for distortion, Tiki said it.

You gonna tell me a band like Haley and the Comets aren't rock because the guitars aren't blazing with distortion? ;)

Tiki doesn't know what rock is.

She's thinking of rock and roll. She hasn't a clue.

1954-1957 - rock and roll
    1957-1962- Elvis post army, E. Brothers, the return of the mafia and crooner shit
    1962-1965 - the birth of pop - Beatles, Dave Clarke Five, early Stones in suits, The Who (they were the epitome of pop/maximum r&b)
    1965 - ROCK

ROCK is not rock and roll! it's not pop!

Dylan going electric, Keef buying a fuzz tone, Jeff and Jimmy Page experimenting in the Yardbirds, The Cream forming, and then Jimi consolidating the whole thing, was
    the

birth
    of
    ROCK!

http://stage6.divx.com/user/BenjaminBraddock/video/1257935/Seven-Ages-of-Rock---part-1