Favorite Dylan covers

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited April 2008 in Other Music
I was just listening to Knockin' on Heavens Door (Dylan) and thinking about all of the Dylan covers out there, some bad, but most pretty good. Some were made even more famous in their covers. There are two that I absolutely love:

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Hard Rains a Gonna Fall - Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians

Go ahead and laugh at Edie Brickell, but I loved it.

What are yours?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Like A Rolling Stone - Jimi Hendrix
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I really like Cat Power's cover of Stuck inside of Mobile but really, no one sings Dylan like Dylan.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Well, PJ's Masters of War is a given. And dammit all, GnR's Knockin on Heaven's Door is a good live song, even though it kinda sucks on UYI2.

EDIT: And because I'm an idiot, I forgot to mention Mark Lanegan's Man In The Long Black Coat.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141

that's the best Dylan cover imo....there are some other good ones, but this is the one I prefer
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    it is the best. in fact it is the only cover song one I prefer to the original. However, if I HAD to pick one

The Jamie Saft Trio - Ballad of a Thin Man. he practically owns this absolute masterpiece of a song.
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    Johnny Cash- Girl From the North Country
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Black Crowes' live versions of Girl From The North Country rule.

Jimi's version of Drifter's Escape is cool, but his version of Watchtower rules.

The Band's version of Blind Willie McTell smokes as well.

North Mississippi Allstars do a good Masters of War.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    maggies farm - RATM
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I forgot about PJ doing Master of War. I like Johnny Cash singing It Ain't Me Babe too. So many good ones.
  • Richie Havens - License To Kill
    oh did i mention i shall be released - the band. im gonna add tears of rage as well.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    oh did i mention i shall be released - the band. im gonna add tears of rage as well.

thats a tad bit cheating IMO considering The Band was his backup band for years!!!...its kind of a gimme isnt it?

Richard Manuel's voice is so sweet on I Shall be Released though.
  • Jimi has it covered, so to speak. I love his version of "Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?" Again, it tops the original.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Neil Young - Blowin' In The Wind

FUCKING SPECTACULAR!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    changing of the guards by frank black and the catholics.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Okay, who hasn't covered Dylan?? I never even knew about half of these mentioned.
    hoopinman wrote:
    thats a tad bit cheating IMO considering The Band was his backup band for years!!!...its kind of a gimme isnt it?

Richard Manuel's voice is so sweet on I Shall be Released though.

and its a gimme i'll gladly take. :p:D

oh richard's voice breaks my heart at times. i listen to him and have too many thoughts and then i'm gone. :( :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I think the version of Tears of Rage on the Basements Tapes with Bobby on vocals is FAR better than the one on Music from Big Pink, even though I love Manuel. One of Bob's most emotional vocal performances.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I really like Cat Power's cover of Stuck inside of Mobile but really, no one sings Dylan like Dylan.

Yep, that's a great version of Stuck Inside. That whole soundtrack is good, Karen O. Doing Highway 61 is another favorite.

Grateful Dead always did a great job on Queen Jane Approximately, but you wouldn't know it from the official versions they've released.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • d_bob76d_bob76 Posts: 6
    girl from the north country - secret machines
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    The Vacant wrote:
    The Band's version of Blind Willie McTell smokes as well.
    and where might I find this? I....need....to....hear.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    transplant wrote:
    and where might I find this? I....need....to....hear.

Their first album after they reunited: Jericho. Came out in 1993. Their arrangement is the same one Dylan uses when he plays it live.