sleater-kinney calls it quits

pearl jam rulespearl jam rules Posts: 129
edited June 2006 in Other Music
from their website, sleater-kinney.com:

After eleven years as a band, Sleater-Kinney have decided to go on indefinite hiatus. The upcoming summer shows will be our last. As of now, there are no plans for future tours or recordings.

We feel lucky to have had the support of many wonderful people over the years. We want to thank everyone who has worked with us, written kind words about us, performed with us, and inspired us.

But mostly we want to extend our gratitude to our amazing fans. You have been a part of our story from the beginning. We could not have made our music without your enthusiasm, passion, and loyalty. It is you who have made the entire journey worthwhile.

With love and thanks,
Sleater-Kinney

this sort of sucks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    wow, this is surprising

maybe they just need some time off, we all do once in a while, they were a pretty hard working band, maybe they just want time off to live normal lives
  • grace6697grace6697 Posts: 1,191
    i just gasped in my cube at work.

holy shit.
    take your money and your drugs.
  • i am so fucking sad right now , i cant believe what i just read!!i love this band and i just fell in love with them i nthe past two years. The Woods might be one of the best records put out in years, how can they end it like this ? i went out and bought alot of their albums this year and last and even got my siter into them big time. and we had all of these plans to see them in the future live and couldnt wait for soem new material. ia m so sad. well atleast i got to see them live twice , Thanks PJ !
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • i am so fucking sad right now , i cant believe what i just read!!i love this band and i just fell in love with them i nthe past two years. The Woods might be one of the best records put out in years, how can they end it like this ? i went out and bought alot of their albums this year and last and even got my siter into them big time. and we had all of these plans to see them in the future live and couldnt wait for soem new material. ia m so sad. well atleast i got to see them live twice , Thanks PJ !

what a way to go out though.....the woods might be their absolute best album. it's sad that we won't hear any more from them but they had a pretty stellar career. they seemed to only get better with age
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    really? I wasnt a big fan but I know they have a lot who are going to be disappointed.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    this sort of sucks
    There's no "sort of" in MHO............this just sucks. They really need to extend this "farewell" tour...........I would really like to see them one more time.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    glad to see their second to last show will be in NYC....guess i know what i'll be doing aug 2nd.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    grace6697 wrote:
    i just gasped in my cube at work.

holy shit.

yeah Grace, same here. Lyd called me at work, and I was sad when I heard about it. I am still in shock over this! :( I have been listening to S~K for the past two days, right now, listening to Call the Doctor album and now, it is really sad that they are breaking up. i'm glad though that we got to see them, they really LOVE coming to SF and i know fans around this area will miss them.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!! I can't believe it. This is so sad. I actually got teary eyed reading the news and felt my stomach drop. I just found out about it and called Meddledeal so we could wimper together.
    :( :( :(

I LOVE YOU S~K!

(((THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU GAVE)))

You girls will forever rock my life!

Just like Pure said, maybe it's just temporary.
    *sigh*

I'm just in complete shock and sadness over here.
    :(
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    Thank God.
    well that was just a matter of time.....

too bad. great band.
  • bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    What's the big deal? One less suck-ass band around.
  • TerryibleTerryible Posts: 462
    This really suxs, there last couple of albums were awesome. I'm glad I got to see them twice this year before they called it quits.
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • bryn_cmbs wrote:
    What's the big deal? One less suck-ass band around.

Is it really necessary to be like that? What purpose does it serve, other than to make you seem like an antagonistic dick?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    Is it really necessary to be like that? What purpose does it serve, other than to make you seem like an antagonistic dick?

No, I'm not a dick, and I'm not trying to start a fight. I just don't understand what people see in this band. The vocals sound like two cats having sex.
  • bryn_cmbs wrote:
    No, I'm not a dick, and I'm not trying to start a fight. I just don't understand what people see in this band. The vocals sound like two cats having sex.

Why bother telling a bunch of people that you think their favorite band sucks in a thread annoucing the breakup of the band?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Two cats having sex?! haha. That's kinda funny. :p

To each his/her own bryn_cmbs. I definitely understand how this band wouldn't be for everyone....but I guess we'd just like to mourn in peace is all. :o :(

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:

To each his/her own bryn_cmbs. I definitely understand how this band wouldn't be for everyone....but I guess we'd just like to mourn in peace is all. :o :(

Sorry to hit you at a bad time. I'm sorry. I'll leave S/K alone now.
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    They just quit????
  • oh good.

they are a good band but that singer's voice is like nails on a chalkboard...
  • Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    Nooooooooooooooo, Why????
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    this really sucks.
  • VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,207
    oh good.

they are a good band but that singer's voice is like nails on a chalkboard...

Well. I'm so fucking glad you won't have to suffer through it anymore. Way to go!
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    You guys know there's always people on these boards whose sole purpose is to go into a topic and bash a band. They just HAVE to put their opinion in to burst someones bubble (or in this case even further...erm...bursting it?).

I never really got into S-K but from what I've read on these boards they seemed to be in their prime and it seems like an odd move. I wonder what triggered this.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I really wasn't expecting this...hope its just a temporary break.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • i just purchased tix to the july 31st Starl ight Ballroom show in PHilly!!!!

i cant wait at least il lget to see them live before they are gone for awhile
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    i dont know about sleater-kinney, i do not like them very much, im sorry if i offend anyone,, well actually im not they suck
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Thats great news. Now we don't have to worry about them opening for Pearl Jam again.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Thats great news. Now we don't have to worry about them opening for Pearl Jam again.
    LOL
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:

Lol Lydia you have your S~K, I have my Smashing Pumpkins, sorry for all those people who love the band, remember the good times guys.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.