Thank You, SPARTA...

mouthfulofsoupmouthfulofsoup Posts: 397
edited September 2007 in Other Music
For saving music. That is all. :D
"Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Uhhhhh? They single-handedly saved music... eh?
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Uhhhhh? They single-handedly saved music... eh?
    yeah, they're pretty damn good and they're great live but...? i didn't realize sparta had done something particularly amazing to 'save music.'
    Do you see the way that tree bends?
    Does it inspire?
    Leaning out to catch the sun's rays...
    A lesson to be applied.

Best night of my life. . .
    Noblesville, IN 06-22-03.

myspace.com/justonemorebottle
  • They only had one good record. And it wasn't THAT good. :D
  • Yeah, they single-handedly saved music. They are the best thing since the 90's. I had no faith in "new" music till I found them...thanks PJ! With all this new "Blind Melon" bullshit going around, it just makes me happy I have a current band to appreciate what they have to give.

& Brain of J.lo...you should be used to "not THAT good" by now. :D
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    Yeah, they single-handedly saved music. They are the best thing since the 90's. I had no faith in "new" music till I found them...thanks PJ! With all this new "Blind Melon" bullshit going around, it just makes me happy I have a current band to appreciate what they have to give.

you just need to listen to more new music. how sparta is the savior of music, i have no idea. i can name many of bands that came out since the 90's that are better than sparta (not that i have a problem with sparta).......i suppose it is all subjective however...............and speaking of blind melon, yeah i think they need to change their name, it's not blind melon without shannon hoon, i thought they were gonna change it to galaxie. guess not. blind melon was the shit.
  • sparta 'single handedly saving music' is a bit of an overstatement...i mean come on, there are a LOT of good bands out there right now; they just happen to get very little--if any--radio play, and you have to look for them a little. kings of leon are pretty great, silversun pickups, wolfmother,...yeah?..
    Does it inspire?
    A lesson to be applied.

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Yeah, they single-handedly saved music. They are the best thing since the 90's.
    this is a fundamentally false statement.

firstly, Sparta are the less talented members of At The Drive-In who went on to form the less talented band, secondly they are fairly generic post-hardcore. there are a million bands doing similar things 10 times better. They are also fairly dull live.
    there are thousands of better bands that have done more to revolutionise music since the 90s.

you are obviously entitled to your opinion but in this case it's just insane because it assumes that you know EVERY band and that Sparta are better and more important than all of them.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    this is a fundamentally false statement.

firstly, Sparta are the less talented members of At The Drive-In who went on to form the less talented band, secondly they are fairly generic post-hardcore. there are a million bands doing similar things 10 times better. They are also fairly dull live.
    there are thousands of better bands that have done more to revolutionise music since the 90s.

you are obviously entitled to your opinion but in this case it's just insane because it assumes that you know EVERY band and that Sparta are better and more important than all of them.

While I don't think they're saving anything, Sparta is a damn fine band. I've really enjoyed the progress of their three records. I also used to think that The Mars Volta was clearly the better half, but I'm very concerned about their future direction after Amputechture. Seems as if they're just spinning their wheels.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,591
    Yeah, they single-handedly saved music. They are the best thing since the 90's. I had no faith in "new" music till I found them...thanks PJ! With all this new "Blind Melon" bullshit going around, it just makes me happy I have a current band to appreciate what they have to give.

You are single handedly making me revist SPARTA.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • yeah, they're pretty damn good and they're great live but...? i didn't realize sparta had done something particularly amazing to 'save music.'

what does "save music" mean anyway?

i dont think music needs saved,but instead,the fans need saved from a handful of corporations owning the dominant outlets to hear music.

there is plenty of interesting,challenging stuff out there,one just has to be willing to seek it out.
  • Vedd Hedd wrote:
    You are single handedly making me revist SPARTA.

You're welcome in advance. ;)
  • you just need to listen to more new music. how sparta is the savior of music, i have no idea. i can name many of bands that came out since the 90's that are better than sparta (not that i have a problem with sparta).......i suppose it is all subjective however...............and speaking of blind melon, yeah i think they need to change their name, it's not blind melon without shannon hoon, i thought they were gonna change it to galaxie. guess not. blind melon was the shit.

Yeah, they're obviously not changing the name...I was hoping they'd come around on that. Oh well, all I can do is not listen & voice my opinion by not attending their shows...& watch helplessly as they soil the Melon name for those who weren't familiar with who they really were.
    Yeah, they're obviously not changing the name...I was hoping they'd come around on that. Oh well, all I can do is not listen & voice my opinion by not attending their shows...& watch helplessly as they soil the Melon name for those who weren't familiar with who they really were.

Are they serioulsy doing this?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Are they serioulsy doing this?

Oh yeah...They reformed with a fuckin wannabe singer & are calling themselves fucking BLIND MELON! & they will be performing old Melon songs as well as their new stuff. Anyone singing those songs but Shannon makes me so sad. :(
  • "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • About time someone showed some love for Sparta... One of the best of the new mellinia IMO.
    "Give me the ringer dude,chop,chop!"
    Oh yeah...They reformed with a fuckin wannabe singer & are calling themselves fucking BLIND MELON! & they will be performing old Melon songs as well as their new stuff. Anyone singing those songs but Shannon makes me so sad. :(

Thats crap.

Can you imagine Pearl Jam doing that?

Like Stone announcing, "Hi, this is Gerald, and he's our new singer."

And then they play Alive or Betterman....

WTF?|

Ok, back to Sparta. Do you have a favorite album? Any song in particular I should revisit?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Thats crap.

Can you imagine Pearl Jam doing that?

Like Stone announcing, "Hi, this is Gerald, and he's our new singer."

And then they play Alive or Betterman....

WTF?|

Ok, back to Sparta. Do you have a favorite album? Any song in particular I should revisit?

Exactly. & Don't be fooled by their myspace, not all the fans are for it...they just don't keep up the comments that are against it. ;)

Ok now, SPARTA!!! :) My fav. album is their 1st (Wiretap Scars.) You can put that one on & literally listen from start to finish, it's amazing all the way through. 'Porcelain' & 'Threes' are awesome albums as well...It's really hard to pick a fav. song, but a few standouts would be...

Red Alibi
    Breaking the Broken
    Cut Your Ribbon
    Glasshouse Tarot
    While Oceana Sleeps
    Most Vicious Crime
    Air
    Untreatable Disease

Ahhh...there's too many. :) Just listen to them all. :p
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Exactly. & Don't be fooled by their myspace, not all the fans are for it...they just don't keep up the comments that are against it. ;)

Ok now, SPARTA!!! :) My fav. album is their 1st (Wiretap Scars.) You can put that one on & literally listen from start to finish, it's amazing all the way through. 'Porcelain' & 'Threes' are awesome albums as well...It's really hard to pick a fav. song, but a few standouts would be...

Red Alibi
    Breaking the Broken
    Cut Your Ribbon
    Glasshouse Tarot
    While Oceana Sleeps
    Most Vicious Crime
    Air
    Untreatable Disease

Ahhh...there's too many. :) Just listen to them all. :p

I found thier records got progessivly worse, I mean Wiretap Scars is a really good record, and Porcelain was all kinds of alright but Threes bored me so much I don't know if I made it through a second listen. But I guess thier name is fun to yell "SPARTA!!!" so trhey get points for that
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    I found thier records got progessivly worse, I mean Wiretap Scars is a really good record, and Porcelain was all kinds of alright but Threes bored me so much I don't know if I made it through a second listen. But I guess thier name is fun to yell "SPARTA!!!" so trhey get points for that

Give 'Threes' another listen. Even I'll admit I was really worried at first listen...it definitely takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it, it's a really great record with some killer tracks. :)
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I like Sparta quite a bit. Never got around to getting threes but I like the first two probably equally. Got to see them last year and was right in front of Jim. It was sweet. Got the setlist too.
    I'm also now a fan of one of the other bands that played, mewithoutYou. Amazing lyrics and lots of energy. They put on a better show than Sparta I must say. You must all check them out.
    Also I prefer The Mars Volta over Sparta and I think Amputechture is great. In most aspects better than Francis the Mute. Francis had too much aimless noodling towards the end. New album coming out soon! Yeehaw!

..Check out mewithoutYou......:)
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • I was a huge At The Drive-In fan. After the split, Sparta's first LP was VERY good. The second was decent. Then when the guitarist left to be the button pusher for the Mars Volta I quit listneing. I hear they are crap now apparently. The drummer...still the ATDI dude...is killer though.
  • Ok, on this whole name thing for Blind Melon... I honestly don't care.. I'm just going to put that out there... it's just a fucking name, just because it doesn't have Hoon in it (which of course, I'm taking in to account that he was the lead singer, and yes usually the lead singer is the spokesman and all), but in all honesty, I don't fucking care... it's just a god damned name to me. I'd feel the same way if Pearl Jam did such a thing... as well as Incubus (now I'm just saying that now, but if Boyd was replaced, I might feel different, haha, but I sure as hell can say this now..).

And the drummer of Sparta is fucking killer, the new CD was pretty good, but I still prefer Porcelain to any... the band is mediocre live... they just fucking play the songs, and that's it... I went to one of their concerts and yelled, "One Armed Scissor"... to which Jim replied, "You've got the wrong band buddy" as some else yells, "ENFILFUCKINGADE!"... haha, I'm sure they get this shit all the time, but why the hell are they even mad at the other two? I'm so confused...

On the other hand, the Mars Volta had so much potential during De-Loused and even into Frances... but Amputechture... yeah... what the fuck... Omar and Cedric are both just getting way too pretentious now... I still will try out this new cd, but yeah, not really hoping that much.

In other words, I still think At the Drive-In is better.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Ok, on this whole name thing for Blind Melon... I honestly don't care.. I'm just going to put that out there... it's just a fucking name, just because it doesn't have Hoon in it (which of course, I'm taking in to account that he was the lead singer, and yes usually the lead singer is the spokesman and all), but in all honesty, I don't fucking care...
    i agree in some instances; like alice in chains...i'm not all that worked up over that; jerry cantrell was by far the main songwriter and creative force of the band. layne staley WAS the frontman but he was really just the voice, so it's not that big a deal to me that they retain the name. i think it's lame though when the main creative force and songwriter is dead or gone, and the band carries on with the same handle. doesn't seem right. i'd be REALLY pissed if pearl jam kept their name if something happened to ed. it's like if when john lennon was shot, the beatles decided to start recording music again as the beatles. would just NOT be right.
    Does it inspire?
    A lesson to be applied.

• I love Sparta
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • sparta's first two albums were pretty solid...

the latest one (threes) was pretty terrible though. it sounded like a U2 record....which might have excited some, but not this guy.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • Beav wrote:
    I like Sparta quite a bit. Never got around to getting threes but I like the first two probably equally. Got to see them last year and was right in front of Jim. It was sweet. Got the setlist too.
    I'm also now a fan of one of the other bands that played, mewithoutYou. Amazing lyrics and lots of energy. They put on a better show than Sparta I must say. You must all check them out.
    Also I prefer The Mars Volta over Sparta and I think Amputechture is great. In most aspects better than Francis the Mute. Francis had too much aimless noodling towards the end. New album coming out soon! Yeehaw!

..Check out mewithoutYou......:)

I saw mewithoutyou with SPARTA & no way did they put on a better show. (Unless you call stupid fake cloud type stage props better.) lol...I think that guy is still singing about that same "spider on a leaf" or something, I know I heard that line in like 5 of the songs. & I always make my way to the front, in front of Jim is the best place to be! I got to meet the guys in March (SPARTA not mwoy) & they were really nice & down to earth. I talked mostly to Jim...what a sweetheart. :)
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I saw mewithoutyou with SPARTA & no way did they put on a better show. (Unless you call stupid fake cloud type stage props better.) lol...I think that guy is still singing about that same "spider on a leaf" or something, I know I heard that line in like 5 of the songs. & I always make my way to the front, in front of Jim is the best place to be! I got to meet the guys in March (SPARTA not mwoy) & they were really nice & down to earth. I talked mostly to Jim...what a sweetheart. :)

Well in Pittsburgh they put on a better show. I came to see Sparta and had never even heard of mewithoutYou. They just had more energy, more crowd connection, and sweet lyrics. I'm not putting Sparta down, just telling it like it is. And the spider/leaf thing is a theme on the latest album. I think there's three different short songs with different lyrics in different keys. And maybe I didn't feel this way about them initially, but after listening to the album and thinking about the show, they've really grown on me.

And those of you that don't like Amputechture, why do you think it's weaker than the other albums? I don't think anything will ever be as great as Inertiatic ESP or Take the Veil but come on!
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)