Winterlong
Oh Lonesome Me
The Believer
No Hidden Path
Cinnamon Girl
Tonight’s the Night

Review: Idaho Statesman
by Michael Deeds

Canadian Neil Young was starting to appreciate remote Boise, even if he couldn’t get his guitars figured out.
“This place is kind of like where I grew up,” Young told the sold-out Morrison Center crowd after fiddling with an instrument. “When I see all that open space out there from the hotel window, I feel pretty good.”

About 2,000 fans felt the same way Thursday, even if Young challenged them with a concert that was light on mainstream hits and heavy on record-crate digging. Young is touring in support of his best CD in years, “Chrome Dreams II,” the “sequel” to a 1977 album that was never released. The 61-year-old rock icon delivered an intimate 2-for-1 experience: one hourlong solo acoustic set, one hourlong electric full-band set. But ultimately, the unique, entertaining concert probably was a “Cowgirl in the Sand” or “Powderfinger” short of a knockout punch for many fans.

The night felt like a final dress rehearsal – no surprise considering this was the first stop on the tour. The Morrison Center’s terrific acoustics couldn’t alter that reality.

“Aw, that’s bad,” Young declared as he realized his guitar was out of whack during the first song, “From Hank to Hendrix.” Future blooper quotes included: “Let’s try that again,” as he tossed what appeared to be a bogus set list over his shoulder before “Harvest”; “Wrong, wrong!” prior to “Love is a Rose”; and “I can still play, kind of, but I can’t tune,” as Young feigned a back injury before “Spirit Road.”

The Idaho audience got a kick out of watching longtime guitar tech Larry Cragg scurry about trying to resolve these issues. (Or just maybe it was his name.) The concert’s lack of polish was actually endearing; it matched Young’s trademark ragged country-rock delivery, a style that has helped make him the second most influential songwriter alive.

Young’s acoustic set was truly personal. Fans shouted (in vain) for favorites and seemed ready to jump out of their seats at the sign of a familiar melody. More often, they were probably perplexed by choices such as the melancholy “Day and Night We Walk These Aisles.” (“I don’t hear anybody calling for this one, but that’s OK,” Young said.) But even if the tunes were unfamiliar, it was impossible not to get goose bumps watching Young sit in a chair and deliver his four-pronged attack of guitar, harmonica, vocals and crazy legs. His famously nasal voice was fragile and pure during three songs from the 1972 “Harvest” era. He played banjo during the countrified “Mellow My Mind.” And he ambled over to a piano for the set’s bombastic standout, “A Man Needs a Maid,” which was energized by odd, booming electric keyboard notes that vibrated like a swamp cooler.

After Young had whacked the last bit of harmonica spittle onto his leg, he raised a finger to signal he had one more song in the set: “Heart of Gold.” The hungry audience went berserk.

After a 20-minute intermission, the electric set rocked as expected. Joined by longtime collaboraters Ben Keith (pedal steel, dobro, guitar), Ralph Molina (drums) and Rick Rosas (bass), Young – dressed in a frumpy new outfit – quickly cranked out a biggie: “Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.” As audience members helped sing the “la-la-las,” they definitely began wishing they could bring beer into this dang ritzy theater.

Then Young went back to lesser-known cuts. He and his band bashed through the new CD’s “Dirty Old Man” like they were half drunk and playing in a garage. Despite the song’s punk-rock perfection – it really is the true Godfather of Grunge track – many crowd members stared as if they hadn’t heard it. The reaction was similar for another “Chrome Dreams II” cut, “Spirit Road,” even though Young bounced around like a teenager. Fans did clap along to part of upbeat tune “The Believer.”

Young sprinkled in a story about seeing a Roy Orbison concert as a 12-year-old before performing “Bad Fog of Loneliness,” “Winterlong” and his lugubrious, harmonica-laced take on Don Gibson's “Oh Lonesome Me.”

Then he dug into the set’s skull crusher: “No Hidden Path,” which is nearly 12 minutes on CD and 12 days in concert. Doing his vintage flop dance, Young guitar soloed, swayed and stumbled in self-indulgent bliss. What, there was an audience? Just when it seemed the jam would end … uh, nope. Eat more fuzz, people. (It should be noted that members of Boise band Built To Spill watched transfixed from the audience. Neil! Stop encouraging them!)

When the song finally thundered to a halt, Young received an enthusiastic standing ovation from much of the crowd. Long-winded noodler or not, all hail Neil!

“Here’s one for your mama!” Young declared as the two-song encore began with a gorgeous blast known as “Cinnamon Girl.” Then Young sat down at the piano for the soulful, mysterious “Tonight’s the Night,” which was propelled by Rosa’s minimalist bass groove.

When bows had been taken and the house lights came on, many fans still seemed confused. Men stood in front of their seats shouting, “Rockin’ in the Free World!?”

Not tonight. In its own quirky way, the show definitely rocked. The tickets – many priced at $134 – weren’t exactly free. And now it was time to venture back out into the real world.

I CANT FUCKIN WAIT
Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Neil Young is a selfish prick and I wouldn't recommend seeing him at those prices unless you're a überfan. Nobody wants to hear some shitty fucking b-side or rarity over Down By The River or Old Man. I had the extreme displeasure of hearing Young play his whole Greendale album and I'll never pay to see the old bastard again. Him and Dylan should really both call it quits at this point instead of cheating poor suckers out of their money.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Neil Young is a selfish prick. Nobody wants to hear some shitty fucking b-side or rarity over Down By The River or Old Man. Him and Dylan should really both call it quits

i STRONGLY disagree with all 3 of these statements matty, boy.

He's not a selfish prick. I want to hear some b-sides. He shouldn't quit. Just cause you didn't love greendale concert, you should still appreciate Neil for what he is, which is a genius. I am stoked to see him on OCT 23rd.

I cant wait.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    That set list is fucking ridiculous. Ambulance Blues? Holy shit.

I am still pissed, that when I went to see him 4 years ago it was the damn Greendale tour. 13 songs. The entirety of the album and a 3 song encore. And I had no idea that was what it was gonna be, cause it was the first show of the tour.

But still... I wish this tour was coming here.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i STRONGLY disagree with all 3 of these statements matty, boy.

He's not a selfish prick. I want to hear some b-sides. He shouldn't quit. Just cause you didn't love greendale concert, you should still appreciate Neil for what he is, which is a genius. I am stoked to see him on OCT 23rd.

I cant wait.

agreed.....matty boy, aren't you the same person that goes nuts every time axl rose does something (or nothing)? :rolleyes:
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I did say that huge Neil Young fans would probably enjoy that setlist but not your average concert goer. I still feel cheated from that crappy Greendale show I went to but at least I didn't have to pay $100 plus to go see that. Neil should advertise his setlist and then we'd see how many people are willing to pony up to hear those songs.
  • yostaramayostarama Posts: 287
    My wife and I are going to see Neil at the tower Theater in Philly in December and can't wait. Great venue 2000 poeple max. Even if he plays something we don't know Neil is on a short list of preformers we want to see. I feel you can't know every song a person sings but if you know 70% and they put on a hell of a show you always get your moneys worth. Tickets were A little over 300$ and lord knows my wife and I can blow that on dinner and drinks or even a poster Etc. Later yostarama
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    I did say that huge Neil Young fans would probably enjoy that setlist but not your average concert goer. I still feel cheated from that crappy Greendale show I went to but at least I didn't have to pay $100 plus to go see that. Neil should advertise his setlist and then we'd see how many people are willing to pony up to hear those songs.

The average concert goer shouldn't be dropping 100+ on a ticket. If you are throwing that sort of coin around, you ought to be more than a little familliar with the band you are going to see. Both this tour and the Greendale tour are typical of Neil's tours. Very rarely has he ever hit the road and played to people's expectations.

How would you have felt in the pre-internet days of 1973 when people were expecting Harvest and After The Goldrush based tour and Neil played Time Fades Away and then Tonight's The Night based shows? Times Fades Away wasn't even released until that tour was long over, and Tonight's The Night wasn't released until 1975. Or 1978, which saw the release of Comes A Time near the end of his tour of that year? The thing is, instead of touring Comes A Time material, Neil and the Horse blazed through Rust Never Sleeps material a year before either RNS or Live Rust were ever released. The '89, '92, and '99 solo, acoustic shows also favored obscurities and unreleased material over hits. Neil is just doing the same thing he always has.

Be an informed consumer. It isn't an artist's job to let you know what you are getting.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Bands SHOULD mix it up!
    I love it when they do that!
    Bob was fucking awesome, he whipped out MASTERS OF WAR, on the lawn of the Canadian War Museum when I saw him this summer. I never, in a million years, thought I'd hear Bob play that.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    that's a dream setlist. he played love is a rose.:)
    nice post the vacant.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Neil Young is a selfish prick and I wouldn't recommend seeing him at those prices unless you're a überfan. Nobody wants to hear some shitty fucking b-side or rarity over Down By The River or Old Man. I had the extreme displeasure of hearing Young play his whole Greendale album and I'll never pay to see the old bastard again. Him and Dylan should really both call it quits at this point instead of cheating poor suckers out of their money.

I don't think I can agree with you. First of all, Neil Young is an artist that has a completely surprising setlist day after day. Pearl Jam has too, but not like Neil. And then; he should quit? I don't understand, who are you to say that he should quit. Man, without Neil Young, Pearl Jam wasn't Pearl Jam.

Did you listened to Chrome Dreams II? This album is the new album of Neil Young and it still has the power of Everybody Knows, maybe even more. Ordinary People is a highlight.

You can say what you want Matty Boy, but Neil is the greatest artist EVER...
    In my opinion of course:)

cheers
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
    Ordinary People is a highlight.

cheers

its almost humorous how long that song goes on for.....you get through a ten minute song and youve still got 8 minutes to go...the new album is fantastic
  • Wait, was Built to Spill really there? Then I can see where they get their onstage jam presence. Hah. Awesome. Although I definitely don't listen to Neil Young as much as I should... I'd still love to see him... even if I didn't know the songs.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    good setlist. i am not going to see him due to the fact that i am a loser.

(my uncle asked if i wanted to go see him and i drug my feet and now the tix are sold out)
    10-20-2007, INB Performing Arts Center, Spokane, Washington
    w/ Rick Rosas, Ben Keith & Ralph Molina

1. From Hank To Hendrix
    2. Ambulance Blues
    3. Sad Movies
    4. A Man Needs A Maid w/ Like A Hurricane tease at the start
    5. No One Seems To Know
    6. Harvest
    7. Journey Through The Past
    8. Mellow My Mind
    9. Love Art Blues
    10. Love Is A Rose
    11. Heart Of Gold

---
    12. The Loner
    13. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    14. Dirty Old Man
    15. Spirit Road
    16. Bad Fog Of Loneliness
    17. Winterlong
    18. Oh, Lonesome Me
    19. The Believer
    20. No Hidden Path

---
    21. Cinnamon Girl
    22. Tonight's The Night
  • now i kind of wished i hadnt looked, spoiled the setlist , after the first one it was still up in the air whether he might mix it up but i guess not
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Word is he replaced Journey Through The Past with After The Goldrush and Tonight's The Night with Like A Hurricane for the Portland show.
  • Call it how you want but I don't think this tour is worth the money that he's asking...

IMHO
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • disconnecteddisconnected Posts: 2,875
    Anyone knows what electric guitar he used?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    Matty Boy wrote:

dude it's your opinion but man you are so off base with your assesment ,that's like asking ed to post the set list to a show it will never happen that way, again you read like you are cluless and that is my opinion ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Matty Boy wrote:
    I really hope you're not one of those people who bitches when PJ does a "hits" show .... bitching about how you've never gotten to hear No Way or Alone or Black Red Yellow or whatever, but had to suffer through Evenflow yet again. This is exactly how the more casual PJ fans feel about our favorite rarity-filled shows. Can you just imagine this board if PJ played a show with that many rarities? We'd all be having orgasms.

I'm sure Neil's hard-core fans were thrilled with the setlist, and like casual fans who go to PJ shows, people who go to see Neil should be aware that it's not likely to be a "greatest hits" performance, there's gonna be some stuff in there that you don't know.

If anyone has, Neil has certainly earned the right to play whatever the hell he wants night after night. I'd be seeing him if I were able.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    He is playing Ambulance Blues....

i mean does it even matter what he plays after that?

he is playing an hour acoustic set and an hour electric set that is pretty damn cool

Neil's prices did seem a bit high this time around. Not too happy about that.

As for the greendale tour i loved it. The songs were fresh and new for everone. I thought it was a special experience.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    yostarama wrote:
    My wife and I are going to see Neil at the tower Theater in Philly in December and can't wait. Great venue 2000 poeple max. Even if he plays something we don't know Neil is on a short list of preformers we want to see. I feel you can't know every song a person sings but if you know 70% and they put on a hell of a show you always get your moneys worth. Tickets were A little over 300$ and lord knows my wife and I can blow that on dinner and drinks or even a poster Etc. Later yostarama

see you there!
  • Matty Boy wrote:

shut up
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    what did everyone think of the show last night in seattle???

AWESOME time.
  • If I wrote a review I would just bitch- but my husband had a good time and I thought Neils voice sounded great.
    I missed the entirety of Peggy's set because I was standing in line at the one counter that was selling tshirts/posters & it was very disorganized.
    I wouldn't go back to that venue for a show. Mariners fan club day yes, concerts no.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi