Kanye West Freestyle On Snl.

restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
edited October 2007 in Other Music
anybody else see that shit? he fucks up his rhyme and then goes off on like a 3 minute freestyle straight off the top. it was tight. what balls, to fuck up your song, then take the risk of freestyling on live tv. most would shut down cuz they fucked up, but kanye went the other direction.

he got game.
Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• No, when did he do this?
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    SNL season premiere on saturday....
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • dang i bet dat wuz da shit. i'm sure glad i missed that big mouth, big headed fool do that!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • dang i bet dat wuz da shit. i'm sure glad i missed that big mouth, big headed fool do that!

What is wrong with you?
  • What is wrong with you?
    nothing i'm perfectly fine why?
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    nothing i'm perfectly fine why?

you seemed to have a typing seizure or something. that sentence made no sense!

i wish i'd seen it. youtube, here i come! what song was he doing?
  • you seemed to have a typing seizure or something. that sentence made no sense!

i wish i'd seen it. youtube, here i come! what song was he doing?
    i was answering - the question: what is wrong with you? here's the crap they're talking about : http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZ72nSGklE
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • damn i should become a rap producer. there's this drunk dude that hangs out in front of the liquor store downtown that begs for change and i know he can freestyle way better than kanye ever dreamed.

kanye is SO FUCKING MODEST ISN'T HE? he should really flaunt the fact that he's number one right now because chances are he may never be again. but he's taking it all in stride like a true professional.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    i was answering - the question: what is wrong with you? here's the crap they're talking about : http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZ72nSGklE

i'm not sure this was a freestyle. the OP said it was a 3 minute improv... looked more like a medley to me... 'champion' into 'everything i am.' it did sound like he improvised the end of the latter song, but it was hardly a 3 minute freestyle.

in any case, it wasn't a half bad recovery, considering he was live on national tv. he could have frozen like poor ashlee simpson. and at least it proves he wasn't lip-synching. kanye's never been known for dynamite MC skills or great freestyles. the strengths of his albums is in the catchy songs and the production. he's got talent and his new album is damn good. i'm sorry i missed him at lolla last year. and as far as hip hop goes, i'll take kanye and common over 50 cent and those worthless thugs any day.
    damn i should become a rap producer. there's this drunk dude that hangs out in front of the liquor store downtown that begs for change and i know he can freestyle way better than kanye ever dreamed.

kanye is SO FUCKING MODEST ISN'T HE? he should really flaunt the fact that he's number one right now because chances are he may never be again. but he's taking it all in stride like a true professional.

you should see the sketch he did near the end of the show, its about him crashing award shows and running his mouth off, he doesn't take himself too serious, he can laugh at himself. the last part is him interrupting a pumpkin competition at a state fair, and snatches the ribbon away from a little, girl. he screaming how he worked to dam hard to lose. it was great.
  • That actually is pretty funny... I've just always seem him as really conceited because he's always saying that he's sooooo good and all.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • you should see the sketch he did near the end of the show, its about him crashing award shows and running his mouth off, he doesn't take himself too serious, he can laugh at himself. the last part is him interrupting a pumpkin competition at a state fair, and snatches the ribbon away from a little, girl. he screaming how he worked to dam hard to lose. it was great.
    yes i agree this is pretty funny http://youtube.com/watch?v=MfmUwnvWb_M

but i still don't think he's a lyrical genius or anything i mean c'mon the guys sitting there watching south park: bigger,longer & uncut on comedy central while eating a klondike bar and a commercial for the ellen degenres show comes on and he comes up with an ok song.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    yes i agree this is pretty funny http://youtube.com/watch?v=MfmUwnvWb_M

but i still don't think he's a lyrical genius or anything i mean c'mon the guys sitting there watching south park: bigger,longer & uncut on comedy central while eating a klondike bar and a commercial for the ellen degenres show comes on and he comes up with an ok song.

nowhere in my original post did i claim he was a lyrical genius, never said the freestyle was good OR bad, i just commented on the fact that it was nice to see some balls shown and freestyle on live tv. i give him props for that. he took a risk. even 50 is too pussy for that, showing vulnerability in any form for 50 would mean his untouchable gangsta facade would be broken, and thats what sells records in the first place.
  • you should see the sketch he did near the end of the show, its about him crashing award shows and running his mouth off, he doesn't take himself too serious, he can laugh at himself. the last part is him interrupting a pumpkin competition at a state fair, and snatches the ribbon away from a little, girl. he screaming how he worked to dam hard to lose. it was great.

I'm nowhere close to being a Kanye fan, but it was a funny sketch and it was good to see him make fun of himself. The pumpkin bit was great.
  • My 2 cents. I am a huge hip-hop fan and am also a K.West fan.

I thought that his freestyle was horrible. It may have sounded good to the average Joe, but it was pretty weak. Kanye needs to stick to his penned lyrics and great production.

I also thought that the SNL was one of the most unfunny episodes I'd ever seen, with the exception of "Iran so far away" and the "Solid Gold" skit.
    NERDS!
    That actually is pretty funny... I've just always seem him as really conceited because he's always saying that he's sooooo good and all.

he's kind of a contradiction... egomaniac with an inferiority complex you could say. he does have a hugely cocky side, but if you listen to his songs, he's got just as money songs about being insecure and vulnerable. he pokes a lot of fun at himself. the problem is this means that when he tries to play up to the swaggering hip hop star, he tends to go WAY over the top.