***###@@@The Brian Jonestown Massacre Thread@@@###***

restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I have been listening to this band for pretty much one year and they have now entered my top ten favorite bands of all time list. I have watched the dig! documentary and seen them live once in this time. Their vibe, their whole sound and what they are all about really appeal to me. Their sound is so retro and trippy and very peaceful. The jams they pull off live are legendary. Go see them. They are not a sixties revival band, its like they are just displaced in time. I find their music INCREDIBLY enjoyable. I hope there are some others out there that do too. The great thing is, is when you get into them, you have something like 12 albums in 12 years to delve into and trust me, its worth a good delving.

Yes, Anton is a dick and he is fucked up and has said some crazy shit and done even crazier, but the music speaks for itself. Look beyond the man and listen to the tunes and the groove.

If you would like to get into them, download Tepid Peppermint, Methodrone and Strung Out In Heaven to get a great feel for them. Then move onto the DVD dig! Its a must see. Easily the best music documentary I have ever seen.

So anybody else into these guys......? You should be.
Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i saw BJM live a few years back at a small club and it was easily the best and worst gig i have ever been to. anton was in fine form and managed to abuse and amuse the crowd. i found it fascinating to watch. but i tell you, when the music was being played, the band(including anton) was so on, you could almost forgive anton the bullshit he goes on with.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • anybody check them out yet?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i know my bloody underground was available on the website in sept 07, but its not come out in physical form....anybody digging it?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    anybody check them out yet?

i will be checking them out again live at the end of august. i can't wait. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I have been listening to this band for pretty much one year and they have now entered my top ten favorite bands of all time list. I have watched the dig! documentary and seen them live once in this time. Their vibe, their whole sound and what they are all about really appeal to me. Their sound is so retro and trippy and very peaceful. The jams they pull off live are legendary. Go see them. They are not a sixties revival band, its like they are just displaced in time. I find their music INCREDIBLY enjoyable. I hope there are some others out there that do too. The great thing is, is when you get into them, you have something like 12 albums in 12 years to delve into and trust me, its worth a good delving.

Yes, Anton is a dick and he is fucked up and has said some crazy shit and done even crazier, but the music speaks for itself. Look beyond the man and listen to the tunes and the groove.

If you would like to get into them, download Tepid Peppermint, Methodrone and Strung Out In Heaven to get a great feel for them. Then move onto the DVD dig! Its a must see. Easily the best music documentary I have ever seen.

So anybody else into these guys......? You should be.

Isnt that the DVD where the band actually got into a fight with each other? BJM are okay but I am not blown away by them.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Just wandering if any other PJ fans were there on Friday. Anton pretty much had his back to the audience and Joel carried the show as usual. I heard Anton stabbed one of the band members last week in London - but the story is somewhat sketchy. Anton looked like shit - sickly shit, I mean. Regardless, the music was great to hear live.
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
    Just wandering if any other PJ fans were there on Friday. Anton pretty much had his back to the audience and Joel carried the show as usual. I heard Anton stabbed one of the band members last week in London - but the story is somewhat sketchy. Anton looked like shit - sickly shit, I mean. Regardless, the music was great to hear live.

anton stabbed a fuckin band member? does joel still look bloated as hell? at least he's still touring with them again.

this band is so fucked and disfunctional, but live, the music is incredible.

still kickin jesus EP came out too.
    Brian Jonestown Massacre frontman Anton Newcombe was arrested in London last night, for stabbing a member of his own band.

The notoriously temperamental musician reportedly got into an altercation with guitarist Frankie Emerson backstage, after the band's gig at the Kentish Town Forum.

NME.com reported that Emerson was visibly drunk during the band's set, and broke a microphone, which clearly irked Newcombe.

They also reported that the singer called for an end to London's recent knife crime during their set.

Afterwards, police were called to the venue, subsequently releasing the statement: "A 35-year-old man (Emerson) was taken to hospital suffering from minor stab injuries. A 40-year-old man (Newcombe) was arrested and later released with no further action because the victim did not want to substantiate any allegation."
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Anton is one fucked up dude. I love the music though.
    Cock Fight.