Options

Metric Rocks Thread

restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
edited February 2006 in Other Music
I havent been this into a new band, well ever and Emily is great. Ive seen them 5 times in one year, they come through vancouver a lot.

first they put out a great first album, tour, garner some success get the name out there.. They put out a second album, which had me scared because of the sophomore curse (see hothotheat), but the album is such a great piece, dissaopointing by no means, starts right where they left off and ascends even higher. Then,

They open for the stones both MSG shows, probably the two most coveted opeining slots of the year in music.

They are poised to take over, Mark My Words.::

If they can stay great and their 3rd album is better still, they will become massive, indie pop media darlings..

Share the love...........
Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i would recomend starting with the first one, you might aswell learn the old stuff right>? you can catch them 2 albums in to a great career, if you like the first one it only gets better....
    she plays the keyboard very well .....sort of atmospheric......really cool
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Cmon people wheres the love for this band

ilovemetric.com

do it.!
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    I first got into them with the release of their second album. I think they're a pretty solid band IMO. Live It Out is rockin' as well!

If you get a chance to see them live. Do it! :)
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Better or worse than Stars?

Are they similar in any way or have different styles?

I'm just wondering, I enjoy Stars & BSS, I've heard about Metric, but never listened to them.
  • Options
    you should give them a chance....the videos are on the site, poor sound quality.....but
  • Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    I love Metric, but I never thought of them as a comparison to Stars. For extreme lack of a better descriptor, I would say Stars is more of a shoegazer sound.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:
    I love Metric, but I never thought of them as a comparison to Stars. For extreme lack of a better descriptor, I would say Stars is more of a shoegazer sound.
    After listening to three of those Metric videos, I agree. Metric is more straight up rock music while Stars has a softer feel to them.

Those Metric songs were OK, not great, but they weren't too bad. Thanks for that link restlesssoul. Maybe not what I was expecting, but not bad.
  • Options
    keep in mind those are the radio friendly singles man, my motto is never judge a band by radio single..........its just not a true reading of what a band is all about......
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:

Compared to Stars... Metric lets it hang out a lot more.

I personally recommend "Old World Underground...." to anyone who hasn't heard them yet. The second album is good but I don't think I would've been into them as much if "Live It Out" had served as my first impression of them.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Options
    yeah word up to that.......i have tickets to a metric show april first at the commodore!!! and ive misplaced both albums and have nuthin, its sucks!
  • Options
    keep in mind those are the radio friendly singles man, my motto is never judge a band by radio single..........its just not a true reading of what a band is all about......
    Definitely not a total judgement, but you can still get a feel for a band by their singles. Just because they release them to the radio doesn't mean they are totally different from the rest of their songs.
  • Options
    I like Metric, they're a good rock band with a female voice, i wouldn't say they're great or anything, but they're ok.

I don't really like Stars, other than 2-3 songs, if you like Coldplay like stuff you should like Stars...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I don't remember the name of that one single where she sings "I fought the war and the war won." but every time I hear it I can't help but feel its a ripoff of the Clash "I founght the law and the law one". Totally different tunes but I just can't get past that obvious lyrical ripoff...
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    I don't remember the name of that one single where she sings "I fought the war and the war won." but every time I hear it I can't help but feel its a ripoff of the Clash "I founght the law and the law one". Totally different tunes but I just can't get past that obvious lyrical ripoff...

Saw them play the tune you speak of on Conan O'Brien recently.
    Had never heard or heard of this band.
    I thought that one performance was pretty decent.
  • Options
    dont you mean bobby fueller four???

i fought the law and the law won?, its from the fifties.........the clash ripped it off, and metric puts a spin on it and the even mention bobby fueller in the song....

so there you go.
  • Options
    dont you mean bobby fueller four???

i fought the law and the law won?, its from the fifties.........the clash ripped it off, and metric puts a spin on it and the even mention bobby fueller in the song....

so there you go.

you are correct.

Its been said before but cant be said enough all you need is love...
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    ah thank you....

(said like austin powers)
  • Options
    I like Metric as well.. Dead Disco is a great track...
  • Options
    poster of a girl is the new single, the last time i saw them, was oct 31st, and i said to my girlfriend that i garauntee that poster of a girl would be the new single. its so funky.....go get it!
  • Options
    why are the 'stars' always brought up?
  • Options
    i will have to check them out.......thanks
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    i will have to check them out.......thanks

if you haven't send me a pm and I can email you some stuff
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Checked out Metric a little more extensively... nothing to write home about.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    MCG wrote:

the song is "Monster Hospital"
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    Saw metric for the fifth time last night and they just keep getting better!!

they are in for a full career. emily did a stage dive , just like eddie used to plunge into the crowd...people were jumping off the stage like crazy it was just like old times. Im telling you. GO SO THEM LIVE.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I saw them live once and they played a very good set. It was after the first album came out, and fortunately they didnt play any of the newer songs, which I dont care for too much
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    I like Metric as well.. Dead Disco is a great track...

Dead Disco is even greater when it's a wild 10 minute encore jam like they did recently in T.O.

Emily has a great stage presence, good live act.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16