Tool EULOGY

restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
edited August 2006 in Other Music
who is this song about?
please post a link or tell me yourself.
Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JPinksJPinks Posts: 60
    Timothy Leary, I think...
    96 - Toledo
    98 - East Troy (x2), East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Cleveland
    00 - Noblesville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Auburn Hills, East Troy, Chicago
    03 - Cleveland, Columbus, Clarkston (x2)
    04 - Toledo, Grand Rapids
    06 - Auburn Hills, Camden (x2), DC
    08 - Camden (x2), MSG (x2), Ed in Newark
    09 - Ed in Philly (x2), The Spectrum (x4)
    10 - Cleveland
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    who is....care to expand ?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • JPinksJPinks Posts: 60
    check wikipedia.org. He spent a lot of time around the band in the time between Undertow and Aenima (I think he was evan a speaker at lollapalooza while Tool was on the bill). He is mentioned in a few live recordings. He died before Aenima came out. From the release of the record to now, I have heard several times that the song is about him.
    96 - Toledo
    98 - East Troy (x2), East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Cleveland
    00 - Noblesville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Auburn Hills, East Troy, Chicago
    03 - Cleveland, Columbus, Clarkston (x2)
    04 - Toledo, Grand Rapids
    06 - Auburn Hills, Camden (x2), DC
    08 - Camden (x2), MSG (x2), Ed in Newark
    09 - Ed in Philly (x2), The Spectrum (x4)
    10 - Cleveland
  • I think it's indirectly about L. Ron Hubbard. I also think it's about Jesus, religious leaders, and political leaders. L. Ron would fall into the religious leader category(damn cultists). I think it's about people who promise everything to gain support of the people, yet they don't believe nor care about what they're preaching.

"think for yourself, question authority, strive to be different, strive to be unique, Never repeat things other people say"-Maynard's Non-Conformist's Pledge

Of course this is only 1 layer....the top layer....I feel there are about 5 layers within this one.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Ive heard Bill Hicks who Maynard was a big fan of he work. Some say Kurt Cobain or Jesus. Against Christianity or someone who he thinks pretends to be a martyr. Great song seconD fav behind H.
    1998- MSG 1
    2003- MSG 1 & 2
    2006- Irving Plaza, Albany, NJ 1 & 2
    2008- MSG 1 & 2
    2008- EV NYC 2
    2010- Hartford
    2016- MSG 2
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I heard that the whole album "Aenima" was dedicated to Bill Hicks, so I always thought it was about him.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    from http://toolshed.down.net/faq/faq.html :

G27. The big question: Who is "Eulogy" about?

As with most Tool songs, the song is vague enough that can be interpreted to be anyone / anything. The song is primarily about the death of something which most probably turned out to be a fake. Regarding the rumor that the band is no longer on good terms with Henry Rollins; he has recently been heard talking positively about Tool, saying he was unaware of any bad blood. In Modern Drummer (10/93), Danny mentions L. Ron Hubbard as the object of the song. One way or another, though, the song has a message that can stand apart from any specific target; the interpretation is left to you, and the specifics aren't too important.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    uninnocent wrote:
    from http://toolshed.down.net/faq/faq.html :

G27. The big question: Who is "Eulogy" about?

As with most Tool songs, the song is vague enough that can be interpreted to be anyone / anything. The song is primarily about the death of something which most probably turned out to be a fake. Regarding the rumor that the band is no longer on good terms with Henry Rollins; he has recently been heard talking positively about Tool, saying he was unaware of any bad blood. In Modern Drummer (10/93), Danny mentions L. Ron Hubbard as the object of the song. One way or another, though, the song has a message that can stand apart from any specific target; the interpretation is left to you, and the specifics aren't too important.

THANK YOU for settling that. im happy with that answer.
    THANK YOU for settling that. im happy with that answer.

i rule.
  • To me the song has always been about Jesus, which makes things difficult. This is one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard, I listened to it quite often for quite some time after I got the record. But since my interpretation was that it was about Jesus I quit listening to the song, and in fact I got rid of the album. It kinda crossed a line for me. I don't have a problem listening to singers who obviously don't believe in God/Jesus/Chirstianity, or question them or doubt them, or even have criticisms, but for me this song was too much. It was hard to give it up because like I said it's amazing. The rest of the album is amazing too, which is why I may just download the other tracks so I can at least listen to them.
  • sweet ass....I was right. Me n my mates always argue about song meanings.

I have always wanted to know for sure what Do Re Mi is about. Amazing tune (CC)

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I don't care for them much now but man this was a great tune
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    eulogy's my second favorite tool song behind jerkoff. it's one of the best eight-minute songs that i know.
  • really, I totally love Jambi

There new stuff is great....perhaps not as strong os other stuff overall, but very close. Every time I listen to it, I love it more.

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key