Anybody Else Stoked For Bill Cosby's Hip Hop Album?

restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
edited May 2008 in Other Music
cant wait for DA COS to fuck up da indsutry, son!

hahaha

Bill Cosby's path has taken him from pudding pops to hip hop.

The 70-year-old has recorded a hip-hop CD set for release next month. "Cosby Narratives Vol. 1: State of Emergency'' blends the comedian's concepts and stories with a hip-hop, pop and jazz soundtrack.

The hip-hop music he hears is profane and degrading. His album is "the opposite of what I think is the profanity for no particular reason, the misogyny for no particular reason. It really looks at the frustration and the anger that a young man may have,'' he said.

The album, assembled by Cosby's longtime musical collaborator Bill "Spaceman'' Patterson, has guest rappers providing the rhymes. The subject matter? "The value of an education. The value of respecting one's self and ... giving (listeners) a chance to raise their self-esteem and confidence,'' Cosby said.

Patterson said he was surprised when Cosby first inquired about making a rap record.
Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Y'see the kids, they're into the rap music. And they're hippin and they're hoppin and they're bippin and they're boppin, so they don't know what the Jazz is all about!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Is it wrong that I really AM excited about this? Bill Cosby is Super Thing 47!
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I read that the Cos is not going to be rapping on the CD and that it is more of a compilation he oversaw.

Has anyone heard any of the records he made in the 70's in which he actually sings, like "Silver Throat" or "Bill Cosby Sings Hooray For The Salvation Army Band"? I don't know if it is meant to be funny, but his version of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" makes me laugh.
  • triangleman12triangleman12 Posts: 193
    Two words . . . Puddin' Pops!
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    Cosby should go home. The Cosby show is a classic.

But as far as his speeches currently, its a trainwreck.

He typifies the andy rooney of current america.

He also typifies the friction between the current generation of african americans and his generation, the civil rights era. His generation hates the current one because they never had to get beaten down and hosed by racist cops and never attended a sit in. He seems to suggest the life of a black in society is all hunky dory and that if you have trouble, its your own damn fault.

Thats a simplistic and pollyanna view of the world.

He also is a sexual abuser and adulterer.

needless to say, when the cosby show is on, I watch it, but as far as his personality, and his other aspects of his life, I am not a fan
  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Doesn't he go around and make speeches (and tons of money) by ripping on the hip hop culture, parents buying kids $300 shoes instead of books, and damning those who feel the man is keeping them down rather than rising above?

Seems ironic.
  • HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    Chris1401 wrote:
    Doesn't he go around and make speeches (and tons of money) by ripping on the hip hop culture, parents buying kids $300 shoes instead of books, and damning those who feel the man is keeping them down rather than rising above?

Seems ironic.

The man is a philanthropist. He gives more money away a year than you or I will make in our lifetime. What is ironic?

To radiohead33, yours is a simplistic view of what Cosby is trying to do. I don't know why you would want to try and tear someone down who is trying so hard to help out his own people.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    since we are linking youtube vids and this is about cosby and rap, this seemed appropriate
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qm2DdzRq-lI
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Hatfield wrote:
    The man is a philanthropist. He gives more money away a year than you or I will make in our lifetime. What is ironic?

The fact that he rails against the culture of hip hop music and then goes and produces/records/oversees and will release a hip hop album.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Chris1401 wrote:
    The fact that he rails against the culture of hip hop music and then goes and produces/records/oversees and will release a hip hop album.

Did you not read the thread? Its an album showing what hip hop can be. It's not going to be like the mainstream hip hop that is heard.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg