GnR concert: Questions on set times, venue info, etc.

The Dark CanuckThe Dark Canuck Posts: 6
edited December 2006 in Other Music
I'm going to the GnR show next week in Calgary. To those of you who've already been to a show on the tour:

1) What time have all the opening acts gone on stage at? How long was each set? (I realize this may change since the Eagles of Death Metal got booted from the tour.)

2) What time have they stopped beer sales at? If I have to stand around for a couple hours waiting to see Axl and Friends, I'd like a beer or two.

3) From a couple reviews I've read it sounds like the shows go pretty late. I remember when Pearl Jam came through Edmonton in 2005 that there was some issue with a curfew that may or may not have caused them to end abruptly at 11pm. I'd much rather see PJ end late than have Axl start late. How do they get away with the later shows??

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• No offense, but you do realize that going to a GNR show, there is a possability Axl might decide not to perform.
  • Malcolm_X wrote:
    No offense, but you do realize that going to a GNR show, there is a possability Axl might decide not to perform.

No offense, but you do realize that I didn't create a post asking about the possibility of a performance.
  • I saw them on the 17th in Ottawa. Here's what I remember
    8:00-8:30 Die Mannequin
    9:00-9:30 Suicide Girls
    10:00-10:45 Sebastian Bach
    11:45-2:00 Guns N' Roses

Beer was stopped at 10:30, though it is entirely up to the venue when they want to stop serving.

As for the shows going late, yeah expect it to end very late, every show on the tour has. How does he get away with it? I think the performers can play as long as they want (assuming it's indoors and there are no noise-bylaws being broken), just that after 11, all arena staff are payed overtime. In other words, it's costing Axl money to start and end so late.

Anyways, enjoy the show. Yeah, it's cheese rock from the 80's, but have a few beers and rock out and it's a fantastic time, I had a blast.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    The MSG show the opening acts were done by a little after 10pm

Axl took stage at 11:10pm or so and played untill 1:15 or so

The Beer thing is not universal, it would depend on the arena

Yes it's going to be a late night - but they were very, very good
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • gnr message board: http://heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php

everything you need to know is covered there.
    "let's hug it out, bitch."

"and onward goes this thing of ours."

Beer was stopped at 10:30, though it is entirely up to the venue when they want to stop serving.

The Toronto show had a similar schedule....

Expect to be up late!!

It's all worth it though!! I had a (somewhat suprisingly) amazing time at the show as well! :D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~

As for the shows going late, yeah expect it to end very late, every show on the tour has. How does he get away with it? I think the performers can play as long as they want (assuming it's indoors and there are no noise-bylaws being broken), just that after 11, all arena staff are payed overtime. In other words, it's costing Axl money to start and end so late.

Anyways, enjoy the show. Yeah, it's cheese rock from the 80's, but have a few beers and rock out and it's a fantastic time, I had a blast.

Wow, Axl kept fans waiting an hour between the last act.
    "It's all happening"
  • PrlJam27PrlJam27 Posts: 346
    I was at the MSG show. They came out about 11:15 or so. I think they sold beer until about midnight. I had to leave the show early so I wouldnt miss the last train back to Jersey....which I ended up missing anyway...

Overall, the band sounded ok at best. Axl sounded like shit, that is, the few times when you could actually hear him.

Much musical masturbation was had by all band members. Which I guess would have been alright if it was actually Guns N Roses, but who the fuck are these people? Should have just been backing up axl. But I guess he is getting to old to stay out onstage for longer than 2 songs at a time. Overall I must say I was pretty disappointed with the show overall.

Best part of the show by far was Dizzy Reed's piano solo. Fuckin' AWESOME!!

I went to go see them one time before, in Philly in 2002. If any of you remember that was the show where Axl decided to not show up at all.

So in conclusion, I will never go see Guns N Roses ever again.
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    it may seem like a tiresome wait, but once the band hits the stage you realize that it was all worth it.
    PrlJam27 wrote:
    I was at the MSG show. They came out about 11:15 or so. I think they sold beer until about midnight. I had to leave the show early so I wouldnt miss the last train back to Jersey....which I ended up missing anyway...

Overall, the band sounded ok at best. Axl sounded like shit, that is, the few times when you could actually hear him.

Much musical masturbation was had by all band members. Which I guess would have been alright if it was actually Guns N Roses, but who the fuck are these people? Should have just been backing up axl. But I guess he is getting to old to stay out onstage for longer than 2 songs at a time. Overall I must say I was pretty disappointed with the show overall.

Best part of the show by far was Dizzy Reed's piano solo. Fuckin' AWESOME!!

I went to go see them one time before, in Philly in 2002. If any of you remember that was the show where Axl decided to not show up at all.

So in conclusion, I will never go see Guns N Roses ever again.

I liked the MSG show a lot better than you did, but did not love it either -
    And you're right, there was heavy masterbation by the guitar players, and Dizzy Reed's piano solo w/ Angie cover was excellent

I, however, will go see them again, should they re-appear
    I'll keep taking punches
  • lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    Halifax on Nov 20th

-Die Mannequin - 30 min sometime between 8:00 & 9:00 (i missed their set)
    -Suicide Girls - 9:00-9:30
    -The Trews - 10:15-11:00
    -Guns N' Roses - 11:50-2:15

I arrived aroun 9:15 and the Suicide Girls were on stage. All bar areas were closed, don't know if they had been open. People were asking me if I knew where they could get some booze. I heard someone say they weren't serving any alcohol as they didn't want the crowd to get rowdy. I imagine this was in the event Axl didn't show.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Wow, Axl kept fans waiting an hour between the last act.

consider an hour a short wait...he has gone much longer!

In Cleveland, he came on at the witching hour!
  • Thanks for all the info guys. One more question: how thorough were the security checks? Did you notice a lot of cameras in the crowd?
  • Thanks for all the info guys. One more question: how thorough were the security checks? Did you notice a lot of cameras in the crowd?
    Security check wasn't overly thorough. Quick pat down and in, though this will depend on the venue.
    Didn't see many cameras, and security made sure to warn everyone on the way in that anybody taking pictures, even if it was with a cellphone, would have it confiscated.
  • gillisgillis Posts: 17
    I saw Halifax show , there seemed to be lots of cameras at show , but there was no beer , I was ready with lots of 420 , Guns went on the lights went down I lit a cigarette ,I was on the floor 2 puffs later security tapped me on the shoulder and gave me a warning that if I lit up again I was gone . So no 420 at all at a rock show , I don't drink so I was somewhat disapointed , at the Pearl Jam show I burned 8 during the show , I think security was scared at the GNR show .
    PJ
    At MSG , security was light, so you can sneak in your joint...oh I mean your camera...either one
    I'll keep taking punches
  • Ha ha ha GnR used to be one of my fave bands in the ealry 90's. This is not GNR. They died a long time ago. This cover band is just that, a cover band with the original mental hospital patient lead singer.

I am so greatfull for PJ! ;-)
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Ha ha ha GnR used to be one of my fave bands in the ealry 90's. This is not GNR. They died a long time ago. This cover band is just that, a cover band with the original mental hospital patient lead singer.

I am so greatfull for PJ! ;-)

We are ever so grateful for your brilliant insight but I don't remember anyone asking for it, if you hate this version why bother reading threads about them? Why not go start threads about how much you hate Creed so you can feel real cool!
  • holtz wrote:
    We are ever so grateful for your brilliant insight but I don't remember anyone asking for it, if you hate this version why bother reading threads about them? Why not go start threads about how much you hate Creed so you can feel real cool!

Ooh, I hit a nerve. Axl, is that you?
    I still like GNR's music. I still read about them because Apettite is one of the best rock albums ever. The Axl Rose band is a joke. Everyone knows this, except you. Where is slash? This is like The Who touring without Townsend.
    And yes I hate Creed too. That singer is an ass like Axl.
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Honestly I don't care what you think of Axl or the new band, I just think its really sad when people constantly come into the GNR threads and try and be "funny" or "original" by bashing the band and anyone who actually had a good time seeing the band. Slash is with Velvet Revolver, if you want to see him so bad go to see them live. If you hate Axl so much, don't see him and dont' pay attention to him, I don't know why its so hard for people to just ignore bands they don't like, I don't spend my time going to threads about bands I don't like to bash them.