Anybody here a fan of Mr. Dulli?
http://www.myspace.com/bonodinner

Detroit x 2
Grand Rapids x 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    YES, YES, YES!!!

I love the man! Ever since I heard Congregation back in the day I was hooked. Then I had the luck of seeing them in Austin on the Gentelman tour and it was all over for me. They did Flower and covered Prince's "When Doves Cry" that night and I was never the same. ;)
  • Yeah it amazes me how more people arent into him. The music biz is truly messed up, this is some of the best rock music out there.
    But on the other hand, im going to see them is detroit next month. Pearl jam on the 19 at the local enormodome...Twilight Singers on the 25 at a club. Cost of seeing your favorite band in a bar...priceless.

Detroit x 2
    Grand Rapids x 2
    That's the thing about bands like that. Afghan Whigs never played at larger venues, and it's doubtful that Twilight Singers will either.

It's funny that you mention that. Pearl Jam is the only "big" act that I'm into. All of the other bands/acts that I like (that tour) are much smaller and only play the club circuit.
  • Westernsky wrote:
    That's the thing about bands like that. Afghan Whigs never played at larger venues, and it's doubtful that Twilight Singers will either.

It's funny that you mention that. Pearl Jam is the only "big" act that I'm into. All of the other bands/acts that I like (that tour) are much smaller and only play the club circuit.

They love me down in Texas, my home while i'm away.

Detroit x 2
    Grand Rapids x 2
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Hell yeah, I love all things Dulli!

I saw Afghan Whigs a few times, once in this absolutely tiny club in London it was incredible. Loved the covers album he did with the Twilight Singers, his cover of Bjork's Hyper Ballad was genius.

My favourite album he did though is Black Love. To me that is the point where it all fell into place, each song blends seamlessly into the next, it has such a cool dark late night kind of vibe going on in it. Crime Scene Part One is such an amazing song, I love the way it builds from this atmospheric subdued beginning, then just explodes into life. That album is definitely in my top ten.
  • Hell yeah, I love all things Dulli!

I saw Afghan Whigs a few times, once in this absolutely tiny club in London it was incredible. Loved the covers album he did with the Twilight Singers, his cover of Bjork's Hyper Ballad was genius.

My favourite album he did though is Black Love. To me that is the point where it all fell into place, each song blends seamlessly into the next, it has such a cool dark late night kind of vibe going on in it. Crime Scene Part One is such an amazing song, I love the way it builds from this atmospheric subdued beginning, then just explodes into life. That album is definitely in my top ten.

Yeah its sittin in my top ten as well. Its a masterpiece album. Not just a bunch of singles stuck together. Thats proly why Dulli has never had a hit, he just doesnt write them. I thik he could, just doesnt think like that.
    Blackberry Belle is awesome too.....If youve ever been a fan of his work is highly recommended.

Detroit x 2
    Grand Rapids x 2
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    They love me down in Texas, my home while i'm away.

i love that song. i saw the twilight singers a few years back in chapel hill and the show was great. when the whigs came out with gentleman (my favorite along with congregation) it was a great musical time in cincinnati, my hometown, with them hanging out there for quite a long time. alot of the songs are about cincy (fountain and fairfax) so its quite nostalgic for me.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    Anyone know where I can download the new Twilight Singers album, Powder Burns? Just listening to some new songs on their myspace page http://www.myspace.com/twilightsingers There's been an accident, is an incredible song, he's singing like he did in the 'Whigs again!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Ive got a few of their records.......I liked Gentlemen by afghan whig and that kinda led to the twilight singers. also hearing of shawnsmiths(who I thinks a king) and lanegans contributions I got a few of their records...not overly impressed tho...............black love maybe the best of the bunch tho, have the eponymous and one morte of their records.............greg dulli did some backin vocals on lanegans bubblegum record
    elmer wrote:
    Ive got a few of their records.......I liked Gentlemen by afghan whig and that kinda led to the twilight singers. also hearing of shawnsmiths(who I thinks a king) and lanegans contributions I got a few of their records...not overly impressed tho...............black love maybe the best of the bunch tho, have the eponymous and one morte of their records.............greg dulli did some backin vocals on lanegans bubblegum record

check out the first song on their myspace page, listen all the way through. definitely his best post-afghan whigs stuff
    he's singing like he did in the 'Whigs again!

Just heard a few of those songs on Itunes and you are totally right! Underneath the Waves sounds like Congregation/Gentelman era Whigs to me - and I love it! The whole album sounds great. :)

It lists the official album release as May 16, but you can buy the whole thing on itunes already (?).
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    check out the first song on their myspace page, listen all the way through. definitely his best post-afghan whigs stuff
    no question about that. emusic has the whole thing on advance so I downloaded it yesterday. I have been slightly disappointed with the Twilight Singers, Whigs are nearly untouchable.

Powder Burns though does seem to be going back to the Whigs days.

Come and get some baby.
  • Don't know many people with a larger Twilight Singers collection than me...I am a REALLY big fan! Oddly, while I do like the Whigs, not such a fan prior to the Black Love and 1965 albums.

Anyway, for the new record, don't forget that there are exclusive tunes out there...

itunes - They Ride (f*cking amazing)
    emusic - Andiamo
    tunetribe and rhapsody - Candy Crane Crawl (Alternate Version)
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
    Gonna try and pick up a copy of the album today, theres an independent record store nearby that may have it available early. I've heard most of it now, and it sounds AMAZING!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    are ther any contributions from other artists for this record
    elmer wrote:
    are ther any contributions from other artists for this record

Ani Difranco, Joseph Arthur and Afghan Whigs bassist John Curley all play on the record.
    i missed them friday at the southgate house in newport ky, found out after the fact... i hate that.

going to get the new one. heard some of it and it sounds damn good.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    HELL YES Twilight singers are playing manchester in july just 2 days after AIC in london. Busy week for me i think...

P.S New singers album is great!!!
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    mole1985 wrote:
    HELL YES Twilight singers are playing manchester in july just 2 days after AIC in london. Busy week for me i think...

P.S New singers album is great!!!

i saw that they were playing manchester on their website. (which is cool to check out.) have a good time, i am sure the show will be awesome!!
    Twilight in Israel
    In light of the recent aggression between Israel and the Hezbollah terrorist faction in Lebanon and Syria, I have been moved to comment on my feelings regarding this conflict. While I am saddened by the loss of life and property on both sides, my belief in freedom, democracy and the peaceful existence of the state of Israel remains steadfast. To this end, the Twilight Singers show in Tel Aviv on August 30 will go on as scheduled. We look forward to performing our songs for an audience who has yet to see us in their own country and hope to be visiting in a time of peace.

Shalom-
    Greg Dulli
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    bet he wouldn't play if the gig was in beirut.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i don't know... they didn't schedule a show there. still cool he plans on going to israel, powder burns.. ;)