AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited April 2008 in Other Music
i LOVE THE NEW RECORDING! bEST STUFF THIS BAND HAS DONE

SINCE THE VERY EARLY 90'S! Welcome back R.E.M. of Life's Rich

Peagent,Document & Fables. This is the most unlikley of comebacks,

but I think R.E.M. has done it!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Very solid album, I agree! Too bad it's so short.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    just picked it up yesterday so it hasn't really sunk in yet, but it sounds good.

hearing good things about the new counting crows too, gonna have to get that on monday
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • I don't consider it a comeback, since "Reveal" was a masterpiece.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    it's not a comeback but yes its a killer album.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    it rocks.
  • eldermanelderman Posts: 180
    REM were always my 2nd fav act after PJ and up until their last record I was very happy... even really enjoyed UP and the superb REVEAL when most fans jumped ship.
    However AROUND THE SUN was so bad I could not believe it,thought they were finished as a recording act.
    Just great that the new one is a real return to form and such a lovely surprise.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    just got tix for MSG 6/19!
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFM2wudTFR8

Great interview and a great album.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    G-Man23 wrote:
    i LOVE THE NEW RECORDING! bEST STUFF THIS BAND HAS DONE

SINCE THE VERY EARLY 90'S! Welcome back R.E.M. of Life's Rich

Peagent,Document & Fables. This is the most unlikley of comebacks,

but I think R.E.M. has done it!

The return? They never went away.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    yes, I really really love this new album. as much as I like Monster and New Adventures in Hifi.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    ACCELERATE!! <3<3<3
    it's on spin, now...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

I don't consider it a comeback, since "Reveal" was a masterpiece.
    i find reveal really bland & lifeless, massively overrated IMO, the only album i don't like from them. i think you either love it or hate it. seems to be the same for around the sun, which i LOVE.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    there was a review here on the album. the first sentence was: Return to form my ass. R.E.M, have never sounded this good.

made me laugh.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I'm hoping its a grower.Had it for nearly a week and not overwhelmed yet.Good to hear new stuff but it hasn't been instant for me.Can't believe itsonly 34:40 minutes long.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    I remember when U2 made All That You Can't Leave Behind and they were labeled as sellouts for returning to their mid-80's form.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    mdigenakis wrote:
    just got tix for MSG 6/19!

i was going to go to that too, but another certain awesome band has a show that night in camden that i chose to attend...
  • Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    Just got a ticket to see them in May at the Greek Theater, pretty good seats to
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I remember when U2 made All That You Can't Leave Behind and they were labeled as sellouts for returning to their mid-80's form.

That was only because everybody on this forum hates U2. If I remember correctly, the majority of music critics gave that album the universal thumbs up. For example:

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/u2/albums/album/232369/review/6068360/all_that_you_cant_leave_behind
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    direwolf74 wrote:
    That was only because everybody on this forum hates U2. If I remember correctly, the majority of music critics gave that album the universal thumbs up. For example:

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/u2/albums/album/232369/review/6068360/all_that_you_cant_leave_behind

Oh yeah, I know the critics liked it. It is a great album. I've been listening to "New York" on it to get myself pumped for the MSG shows.
  • HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    Excellent album. I think it's pretty strong throughout and the album really swings on the title track, Accelerate. While it doesn't sound anything like it, I get the same feeling from that song that I get from QOTSA's Go With the Flow and PJ's Hail Hail. Just a visceral, powerful rock song with awesome pacing.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Doodah972Doodah972 Posts: 146
    yea, the new album is delicious.
    "I changed by not changing at all"
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The album kicks ass. Enough said.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Doodah972 wrote:
    yea, the new album is delicious.

enough said alright... still on constand rotation for me :) has anyone noticed the 3 old REM songs mentioned in the song sing for the submarine?

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:
    enough said alright... still on constand rotation for me :) has anyone noticed the 3 old REM songs mentioned in the song sing for the submarine?

sorry, my book already fell apart...~
    update
    1. electron blue <3<3<3...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

sorry, my book already fell apart...~
    update
    1. electron blue <3<3<3...~

high speed train
    feel gravitys pull

wonder if this was deliberate?

Zoso wrote:
    high speed train
    feel gravitys pull

wonder if this was deliberate?

i think maybe...~

:)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

that album isn't a patch on anything they did in the mid 80's, that's just my musical palate though.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones