Uncle Tupelo

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Just bought "Still Feel Gone" and what a great record! imo UT was one of the greatest american bands. What other band could weld punk,country,and alternative rock together? Anyway,just wondering if anybody likes UT here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I LOVE Uncle Tupelo. I am still getting to know them though.

Jeff Tweedy is probably one of the greatest things to happen to modern music.
    Cock Fight.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    Jeff Tweedy is probably one of the greatest things to happen to modern music.

to be fair, jay was the creative genius behind Uncle Tupelo. not to take anything away from what jeff has done, but he learned it all from jay.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Uncle Tupelo is awesome. I'm a pretty big fan of Jay.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I agree that Jay was the creative force behind UT,but by the last record("Anodyne") Jeff had emerged as close to an equal with Jay. Yes, I love Jay Farrar as well. Saw him in Son Volt in 2005 at Bellingham,WA.....great,great show.
  • i have only heard "moonshiner" on a mix cd a friend of mine gave me. what a beautiful song. i definitely have to look into more of their stuff. thanks for the reminder. :)
  • Love Uncle Tupelo...Anodyne is just a perfect record, front to back. I haven't kept up with Jay Farrar - how is his newer stuff? Is he still in more of a Son Volt/alt-country vein?
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    Love Uncle Tupelo...Anodyne is just a perfect record, front to back. I haven't kept up with Jay Farrar - how is his newer stuff? Is he still in more of a Son Volt/alt-country vein?

Jay reformed Son Volt in 2004. They came out with a solid,but "under the radar" recording in 2005. A brand new Son Volt record is due out in March 2007. It has been billed as a very ecclectic/diverse recording with "loops,strings,and phsychadelic leanings".

Go to Jay's website to get the direct scoop:http://www.jayfarrar.com .
  • G-Man23 wrote:
    Jay reformed Son Volt in 2004. They came out with a solid,but "under the radar" recording in 2005. A brand new Son Volt record is due out in March 2007. It has been billed as a very ecclectic/diverse recording with "loops,strings,and phsychadelic leanings".

Thanks, I'll check that out. Sounds interesting, like maybe he is heading in a Wilco direction (or at least away from the country tinged stuff)?
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
    Thanks, I'll check that out. Sounds interesting, like maybe he is heading in a Wilco direction (or at least away from the country tinged stuff)?

Yup. Infact,has been distancing himself from the term "alt-country" more and more. Prolly because of the stigma "country" has these days,ie. IT STINKS!
  • G-Man23 wrote:
    I agree that Jay was the creative force behind UT,but by the last record("Anodyne") Jeff had emerged as close to an equal with Jay.

hence the breakup ;)
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • G-Man23 wrote:

Son Volt's first record came out sometime in 1995 or 1996. It is called "Trace" and is excellent. If you love Uncle Tupelo as much as I do, you will really dig this record. It was included on many "Best Records of the Year" lists for the year that it was released. Check it out.
    Yes, there really is a dog.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Amazing band! Anodyne and Still Feel Gone are great records. A couple of years ago I bought their "Anthology '89-93" CD. Lots of great stuff on there.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    UT was a great band. I love listening to those songs. I'm hoping Jeff will pull out a couple old Tupelo songs on his solo tour!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Trace is a great record, I think I like Straightaways a bit more, though. Maybe just because of "Caryatid Easy"...what a great tune.

I'd bet on Jeff pulling out some UT on the solo tour, he did "Black Eye" and "Acuff Rose" on the Sunken Treasure tour, after all...
  • SchmaktSchmakt Posts: 207
    I agree that Jay was the driving force behind UT as well. I almost always liked the Jay songs and almost always hated the Tweedy songs.

Didn't Tweedy try to still Jay's girlfriend or something once too?

I couldn't get into Jay's solo album at all tho... Trace was good, but the last Son Volt record was so-so... I don't really care about Wilco much at all; still think Jay's got it.

If you like UT, check out http://www.castironfilter.com
    They also did a really great cover of Moonshiner... I don't really like that song, but one of my favorite versions is here:
    http://cp05.ionhosting.com/~schmakt/files/Cast%20Iron%20Filter%20-%202004%20(06-02)%20-%20Disc%202%20-%2010%20-%20Moonshiner.mp3

Also, check this version of Aeroplane Over the Sea :)
    http://cp05.ionhosting.com/~schmakt/files/Cast%20Iron%20Filter%20-%202004%20(06-02)%20-%20Disc%201%20-%2008%20-%20In%20the%20Aeroplane%20Over%20the%20Sea.mp3
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway