Are tribute bands better than "the real deal"?

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited August 2007 in Other Music
To name a few :

Atomic Punks=Classic early Van Halen
Sticky Fingers=Rolling Stones
Wild Child=The Doors
Dark Star Orchestra=Classic Grateful Dead Shows

The only ones I have seen to compare is the GD tribute band and DSO has been fantastic everytime!
My point is that having seen the grateful dead in their late years,dark star orchestra is better than late GD.If one was not in existance to experience the original(youthful version),sometimes the copy can suffice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I saw Aussie Pink Floyd, if you heard an Audio clip of them not knowing they were a cover band there is NO WAY you would know it is not the real deal. They were amazing.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I agree with Aussie Floyd. I've seen Aussie Floyd and Roger Waters, and Aussie Floyd was better. The did DSOTM better than Waters did.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Saw Itchy Fish (Pearl Jam) and Stinkfist (Tool). No reason to see a tribute band if the real deal is together and touring...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    pjl44 wrote:
    Saw Itchy Fish (Pearl Jam) and Stinkfist (Tool). No reason to see a tribute band if the real deal is together and touring...

Word up,but notice all that I have listed are either defunct,disfunctional or deceased.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Back in Black- They are an AC/DC cover band. I swear to you that if you didn't know they were a cover band, you'd think you were seeing AC/DC. The lead singer sounds like Bon scott one minute and Brian Johnson the next. I saw them open for April Wine, Jackyl and Night Ranger. The lead singer had some vocal problems a few years ago, but have since heard thy are back in business!
    I thought "dirty Frank" was great too. I'm glad they made the trip to Houston! I hear they wanna do it again and are shooting for January! :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    i've never really been impressed by cover bands no matter how good they sound. i simply can't be impressed by bands that do nothing but play someone else's music. Not much artistic talent involved.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    cornnifer wrote:
    i've never really been impressed by cover bands no matter how good they sound. i simply can't be impressed by bands that do nothing but play someone else's music. Not much artistic talent involved.
    It's like classical music. You yourself don't put much creativity, but to sound exactly the same as a unit is quite impressive.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Black Dog in NJ is an awesome Zep tribute....I mean AWESOME
    Also, Facelift is an incredible Alice in Chains band.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    I saw Dark Star Orchestra once and was very impressed. Even members of the Grateful Dead have sat in with them on past shows. There is definitely some merit to be given to GOOD cover bands.

Back in the day we use to see this band that covered old Genesis and Max Webster(awesome!!) and I've seen Hendrix and Stones cover bands as well...bottom line is it's a fun night out....especially if the real deal isn't in town.