Michael Stipe comes out....i think

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited April 2008 in Other Music
and he did in in a pretty clever way:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MuHayrdAP_k
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Did he?

Doesn't matter a god damn thing. If that was his coming out, it WAS clever!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PrePre Posts: 17
    He did once say at the Rock and Roll HoF the following: "I'd like to thank all our girlfriends... and boyfriend."
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    he came out of what? the closet? um, I don't think there's ever been any secret that he's gay. at least for the last 15 years it's not been a secret. he is pretty open about it.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well i can't say i've read or seen every interview he's ever done, but the ones i have he has always been vague....well, good for him either way
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    well i can't say i've read or seen every interview he's ever done, but the ones i have he has always been vague....well, good for him either way

I can't quote particular interviews I've read over the years, but the most recent one I saw he said something to the extent that people should not live in the shadows or deny who they are or something like that. but even before that, I think he was pretty open. I think on vh1 "behind the music" which was probably 10 years ago now, he was open about being gay.
  • pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    He's been out of the closet for years, I thought. I remember on the R.E.M. "Behind the Music" he said "Uhhh....I thought people knew I was gay in 1983 when I was posing for pictures wearing make-up", or something along those lines.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    pjfan85 wrote:
    He's been out of the closet for years, I thought. I remember on the R.E.M. "Behind the Music" he said "Uhhh....I thought people knew I was gay in 1983 when I was posing for pictures wearing make-up", or something along those lines.

these words you speak are true.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    and he did in in a pretty clever way:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MuHayrdAP_k

Its been known for a long time.....that was very clever!
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    MLC2006 wrote:
    he came out of what? the closet? um, I don't think there's ever been any secret that he's gay. at least for the last 15 years it's not been a secret. he is pretty open about it.

I didn't think it was a secret either!!! :)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    pjfan85 wrote:
    He really said that? makes him sound as ignorant as a homophobe :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I think he was coming out when he made this song.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pwXSqWVXACE
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    He really said that? makes him sound as ignorant as a homophobe :D

That's exactly what I was thinking.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison

I don't know why everybody hates that song, I think it's a great song, even the video. surely not their best song by any stretch, but still a very good song.
  • pjfan85 wrote:

yeah.
    "i thought it was pretty obvious in 1983, when i was wearing eye liner, but ..."

i still love his classic, "labels are for cans" line.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    StuffnJunk wrote:

vague is usually a pretty good indicator that someone ISN'T heterosexual.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Didn't he describe himself as an "omni-sexual" or some such once upon a time???
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • PrePre Posts: 17
    tybird wrote:
    Didn't he describe himself as an "omni-sexual" or some such once upon a time???

He has said that's been attracted to and has had relationships with men and women.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    I don't know why everybody hates that song, I think it's a great song, even the video. surely not their best song by any stretch, but still a very good song.

i love that song!
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Genius.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Isn't Nightswimming about him coming out? So I've heard...and just a beautiful fucking song too.
  • Isn't Nightswimming about him coming out? So I've heard...and just a beautiful fucking song too.

Nightswimming is just about drunk kids in Athens having fun getting naked and swimming in creeks late at night on weekends.

:D

Labels are for Cans.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • I saw a "pop up video" but it was an SNL episode in which REM was the musical guest an Michael Stipe appeared in a skit. A bubble popped up and said he admitted to being bisexual. So this isn't exactly a secret...
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    vague is usually a pretty good indicator that someone ISN'T heterosexual.
    good point!
  • toastertoaster Posts: 152
    Haha, it was a clever way to do it indeed. I was a little surprised that many were so shocked about him coming out, though.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387

Its actually about Prozac and its popularity in the early 90's......my friend called her daily dosage her shiny happy pills.
    He also had nothing to come out of he's been quietly out for years.Stipe doesnt have an obsession with his sexuality.Its everyone else that does and why in 2008 does sexuality still grab headlines?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”