Beck - Modern Guilt

CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
edited July 2008 in Other Music
New album produced by Danger Mouse comes out next week. DM did a great job with The Black Keys, I'm hoping he helps Beck too. The last two Beck albums have been good but he hasn't delivered anything great since "Sea Change", both "Guero" and "The Information" fell off for me not too long after they came out.

I think the whole thing is streaming on his Myspace, anybody listened to it?

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the other thread on this, I looked but didn't catch it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,580
    heard it a few times today. it's pretty good. wished it was kinda more then 30 minutes.
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I've listened to the album about 5 times already (no lies) since about 5 o'clock today. (leaky leaky)

And well, It's AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG... It's an amazing album all around, DM is a GREAT person to pair Beck up with, I love him anyway he does amazing things in the studio (the lastest Black Keys album anyone?)

sidenote: I will say that the single kind of reminds me of Beck singing an Of Montreal song, which isn't that bad is it?
  • Yeah, picked this up today on the way home from work, great album after one listen. Danger Mouse's production is on point as usual, and Beck stayed as creative as ever. This has actually turned out to be a pretty great year for new music, I definitely had my doubts in January but am very glad to be wrong.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Is it better than The Information? I thought that album sucked horse balls.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    just picked it up today after resisting the leak. Really enjoyed it after 1.5 listens. DM did a great job on the record and it def has its own character which is what I think helped make Mutations and Sea Change such special records for me.

Current favorites are Modern Guilt and Volcano but I'm sure it will change as each song sounded better on round two so far

excited!!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Went to see Beck in Manchester last Wednesday - anyone know what happened to his old band?? I know the bass player's now playing for NIN.

Crowd were a big disappointment compared with the last time I saw him. Such a shame - I think it affected the gig quite a bit for him.
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Love it. The Guero-Information sound was abandoned for something completely fresh, yet again. Beck just continues to reinvent himself after all these years to remain one of the most relevant acts around. Only listed once so far but I really like Chemtrails. Sounds like a Shins song.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    JWBusher wrote:
    Is it better than The Information? I thought that album sucked horse balls.

Great question and couldn't agree more. Anyone?
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    jambayleaf wrote:

I've only listened to it once, so my review may change with repeated listens... but it's definitely not as great as I was hoping for. Beck is my favorite artist, so I hold him up to very high standards. I'd say it's about equal to the Information. I thought there were some good songs on the Information, but overall it wasn't that strong.. and after first listen I feel the same way with Modern Guilt. Not a big fan of the programming that Danger Mouse put down on it... it's too machine-like, there's not enough warmth to it. The music that Beck came up with is pretty good, but I was hoping for more of a Midnight Vultures/ Odelay vibe to the overall sound. Give me the Dust Brothers!:D

Like I said, I've only listened to the whole album once though..
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Bought this today and so far it's only so-so. I liked the Information better.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • well, after several spins and trying to digest the lyrics and mood and even the graphic design of the package, it's obvious that beck is not in a very good mood these days. very introspective, tho not as somber as sea change. although this is nothing like previous beck albums, it is closest in tone to mutations. lyrically, it's fairly bleak. references to drowning and endlessly searching for impossible answers, these are not tunes to party to. the beats are usually cold and disconnected. although a few tunes are upbeat and sound like beck having fun, the lyrics are usually a downer. not in a bad way, i appreciate anything beck puts out. i have no preconceived ideas of what his new records should be. he's a true artiste with a personal philosophy behind each release, and this successfully carries on the tradition. there's a few tunes that might make it onto the radio, but this will probably be one of the dark horses of the beck catalog. which is fine by me. maybe next time he'll party a little more.
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    I think it might be Beck's best since Sea Change. The only dissapointing thing is that it's very short.
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    jambayleaf wrote:
    I like it much more than The Information. The Information was way too long and completely scattershot between good songs and average songs. Modern Guilt is in a completely different mood, so the albums aren't really comparable musically, but the one thing Modern Guilt has is consistency. All 10 tracks on MG are quality, it reminds me a lot of another Dangermouse album from this year in that manner, The Black Keys "Attack and Release".

While the musical styles of The Informaiton and Modern Guilt are too far apart to compare specific musical qualities, I can definitely say I think Modern Guilt is the better album between the two.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Upon further listens.. I'm still not that impressed. I don't think I like Danger Mouse. The Black Keys album was pretty good... but I CAN'T STAND Gnarls Barkley!!! That is the worst fucking music to my ears
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • mtildenmtilden Posts: 62
    suns22 wrote:
    I think it might be Beck's best since Sea Change. The only dissapointing thing is that it's very short.

I think that's actually a big plus. The Information was way too long. He could've trimmed Guero too.
    "Go fuck yourself"
    -Dick Cheney

"Are you taking over or are you taking orders"
    -Joe Strummer 1952-2002

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
    -George Orwell
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    mtilden wrote:
    I think that's actually a big plus. The Information was way too long. He could've trimmed Guero too.
    I agree. I generally try not to discriminate against albums based on length, but Beck's last two have both felt really bloated to me. Modern Guilt's length is one of it's many charms in my book.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    this is the best album of the year so far. i can't believe evil urge's run was so short...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Yeah...I love his new album...especially "Walls" (the backing music is just genius) and "Replica" (I love the drum-and-bass style of the song).