albums that you would rather own than greatest hits comps?

edited April 2008 in Other Music
if i had a choice between only having one of a bands albums, or their greatest hits album, most of the time i'd take the greatest hits, except:

Bruce Springsteen: Born in the USA (no downbound train = automatic fail. his greatest album sucked)
Alice in Chains: Jar of Flies (would hate to miss Down in a Hole or Rooster but this album is just too perfect).
Smashing Pumpkins: Siamese Dream (the greatest only has 3 Dream songs? pass)

id still take PJs greatest hits over the albums, though that would hurt. i'd miss out on Porch and most of the No Code greatness, but at least i'd get half of Ten and the best parts of Vs, Yield and Vitalogy. but a two disk set isnt fair.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    AIC= Dirt, Jars of Flies, AIC/S-T/Tripod. If a band makes at least three classic albums or the ones YOU really liked, there's no need for a greatest hits. just a waste in my opinion.

Soundgarden- their last three are great. sorry can't get into their 80's stuff.

All Beastie Boys studios. Don't get their Greatest Hits...

All Rage ATM's 3 90's albums.

First two Oasis + the Masterplan.

...more others...can't think at the moment
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Almost all the bands I know have one or more albums which are massively better than their Greatest Hits compilation.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • LongRd. wrote:
    AIC= Dirt, Jars of Flies, AIC/S-T/Tripod. If a band makes at least three classic albums or the ones YOU really liked, there's no need for a greatest hits. just a waste in my opinion.

yeah but if you could only have one? I'd take Jar over the compilation of the rest i think.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    MrSmith wrote:
    yeah but if you could only have one? I'd take Jar over the compilation of the rest i think.
    Oh oops i didn't know the thread's idea.
    but I think I got it....let's say I was to going somewhere afar and only able to take a certain amount of albums along???

I'll revised my list----
    AIC = Tripod over anything else.
    Soundgarden = Badmotorfinger over anything else.
    Beastie Boys = Ill Communication over all.
    Rage ATM = S-T debut. :)
    Oasis = The Masterplan, b-sides compilation.

I don't these two bands have a greatest hits but if I only get to take one of their albums to abroad, well...
    NIN = Pretty Hate Machine
    Radiohead = Kid A

For Pearl Jam....I'll take the Benaroya Hall live CD's. :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Dark Side of The Moon
    The Downward Spiral

Not to say that Floyd's other output isn't good, but DSOTM is perfection.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    U2 :Achtung Baby
    ....they've many great songs outside that album obviously, but it'd do.
  • suns22suns22 Posts: 94
    Sublime: Self-titled (though I would miss Bad Fish a lot)
    San Antonio '03
    Houston '03
    Dallas '03
    Hopefully more to come in TX.......some day.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Definitely agree with the pumpkins and Siamese Dream. Not one skippable song on that album. There are several on the greatest hits.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I'd have ANY pink floyd album over an attempted 'Greatest Hits' from them You can't take their songs out of context without severly hampering their greatness.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    for me personally, I'd take

Green Day - Dookie
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    STP - Core

over any greatest hits compilation that has or could be produced.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Led Zeppelin~"Physical Graffiti"....damn, I would miss a ton...but that's the album.

Primus~"Frizzle Fry"
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    suns22 wrote:
    Sublime: Self-titled (though I would miss Bad Fish a lot)

I'd have to go with 40oz to freedom over self titled.
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    Hmmm...let's see:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    Elton John - Madman Across the Water
    Led Zep - Physical Graffiti
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side and The Wall
    The Who - Who's Next
    Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited and Freewheelin'
    The Band - The Band
    The Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Amorica
    The Clash - London Calling
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    King Crimson - Red, Discipline
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Pearl Jam - every album, but Ten if I had to pick one
    Steely Dan - The Royal Scam and Aja
    Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle, and Born to Run
    Neil Young - Everybody Knows, Harvest, Tonight's the Night, and On the Beach

The problem is that there are so many 'hidden' treasures on the above albums that would never make a "Greatest Hits" compilation. A local rock station used to play "Deep Cuts" every weekend and it was mind-blowingly awesome. 10th Avenue Freezeout followed by Long Distance Runaround followed by Gettin' In Tune, etc. It was great and I really miss that kind of programming...stupid media consolidation...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    DOSW wrote:
    Almost all the bands I know have one or more albums which are massively better than their Greatest Hits compilation.

agreed.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    DOSW wrote:

Yeah I'm not much of a fan of Best Of's or Greatest Hits, they never quite do the band justice, and inevitably if I like a band, I would want to hear the songs in the context of the album anyway. But for the sake of this thread, I'll agree with others on Siamese Dream - the term masterpiece doesn't even begin to describe that album. I'll say the same for Afghan Whigs' Black Love too.
  • tough call between a Primus Greatest Hits or the Brown album. I love all their popular songs.