Sonic Youth. What's good for a beginner fan?

i_am_a_wishlisti_am_a_wishlist Posts: 628
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Ok so I wanna hear some Sonic Youth but I don't know where to start. Older stuff, middle stuff or newer stuff. All I know is Teenage Riot. Any recommendations?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    can't go wrong with
    Dirty
    Goo
    DDN
    Sister
    Washing Machine
    Experimental Jet Set,Trash and No Star
    Sonic Nurse
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • A friend of mine bought a Chinese version of their latest album "Sonic Nurse". It contains a "Greatest Hits" disc and, of course, the "Sonic Nurse" disc. If you can find that double disc anywhere that wouldbe a perfect start.

When I want to get introduced to a band, I normally look for a Greatest Hits album. I think some of the Youth's earlier records is a bit difficult to get 'hooked' on if you don't know the band very well. So my advice to you, look for a Greatest Hits and the "Sonic Nurse" album. It's a great record and it has the track "Stones" which is brillant!

I saw Sonic Youth live at this years Roskilde Festival and they were awesome. One of the highlights of the festival alongside Foo Fighters and a Danish band called MEW.
    PJ in Danish:
    www.pearl-jam.dk
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    A friend of mine bought a Chinese version of their latest album "Sonic Nurse". It contains a "Greatest Hits" disc and, of course, the "Sonic Nurse" disc. If you can find that double disc anywhere that wouldbe a perfect start.
    yup in China..most new releases come with a bonus disc of greatest hits to try and improve album sales
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • I got to really know them trough the a thousand leaves album.
    Great album and not too difficult.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    I got to really know them trough the a thousand leaves album.
    Great album and not too difficult.

Goo or Dirty.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • i started with "A Thousand Leaves" but i think that album is a little too abstract to start with.

instead i would pick up either Goo, Dirty, Daydream Nation or Experimental, Jet Set, Trash and No Star. these are their late 80's early 90s albums. if you want a recent album, pick up either Murry Street or Sonic Nurse
    'sometimes i have everything, yet i wish i felt something'
  • i started with daydream nation.

maybe the best way is to hear a bunch of their best before getting an album though? :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Murray Street is good (probably my fave)
    Sonic nurse is descent
    Jet set trash and no star is really good I love the track (Bull in the heather)
    I didn't really care for Washing machine
    ____________________________________-
    I still need to hear a thousand leaves but Sunday is a great song off that album
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Daydream Nation
    A thousand Leaves
    Washing Machine
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • XiangXiang Posts: 73
    Sonic Nurse would be a great start. It gives you a good idea on both the artistic noise and the more rock versions of the band...
  • Ok so I wanna hear some Sonic Youth but I don't know where to start. Older stuff, middle stuff or newer stuff. All I know is Teenage Riot. Any recommendations?

The dvd with all their videos is a sweet way to start!!!!
  • spnkrispnkri Posts: 137
    I personally like Rather Ripped the best.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    rather ripped is probably the most accessible (not in a bad way). The songs are shorter, nothing gets overly abstract. It gives you a good taste of the sonic youth sound. It's like an Amuse Busch.

If you want to go for the classic Sonic Youth Album, get Daydream Nation.

If you want to venture into the Abstract Sounds, I would go for Washing Machine. It doesn't seem to be an overall favorite, but it's definitely in my personal top three albums. The Diamond Sea is one of my favorite songs of all time. Becuz, Unwind, and No Queen Blues are all outstanding songs.

And Kim Deal of the Pixies/ Breeders does a guest spot on Little Trouble Girl.

Hell I'll say it, Washing Machine is one of my favorite albums of all time.

It's one of those albums where everytime you listen to it, it gets better and better, you always pick up on something new or hear something in a way you've never heard it before. It never gets stale or old. It's the perfect blend of traditional rock and abstract/noise rock.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    Daydream Nation, Goo & Dirty are all good choices.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I like Goo, Daydream Nation , Ciccone Youth, Murray Street, and Sonic Nurse.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    in this order

sister
    daydream nation
    confusion is sex/kill your idols
    goo
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Daydream Nation and Screaming Fields of Sonic Youth..this last one is a compilation of the "best" songs from basically the first 3 - 5 albums