Trompe Le Monde - Pixies

nocodelover22nocodelover22 Posts: 108
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Best album of the 90's? I'd say it's right up there. Anybody else just adore this album like I do?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    I can never decide on these best album of whenever things, but yeah TLM is brilliant, like everything they did...well almost everything. Trompe le monde does have on it probably the only Pixies song I don't like, (I believe in) Space, "jefrey with one f" that one. Awful.

Found this strange clip of them playing trompe le monde on the letterman show circa. 1991...mmmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwyO6sCGEWE
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i wouldn't say i adore it cause i have this love/hate/mainly respect, but don't care for them much thing for the pixies. trompe le monde was the first album of theirs i listened to and that was only on recommendation. ive listened to 2 and a half other pixies album but TLM is the one i listen to the most out of what i have.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Trompe Le Monde is a solid album. I really like Planet of Sound, The Sad Punk, Alec Eiffel, U-Mass, and Subbacultcha. I don't think I would place it anywhere near the top albums of the 90s and I still like Surfer Rosa more, as far as best Pixies albums go.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I don't know if its the best album of the 90's but it certainly is a great one. Most people who have listened to The Pixies say this not the best cd, but hell what would you expect after they released such monster albums like Surfer Rosa and Doolittle. Anyway i'm sure this would've been the best cd of any other band if it wasn't The Pixies
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Django wrote:
    Found this strange clip of them playing trompe le monde on the letterman show circa. 1991...mmmmm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwyO6sCGEWE

What the fuck was that?!!
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I certainly like Trompe Le Monde, but it makes sense why it was the last Pixies album. Black Francis' creative stranglehold was palpable, and this fact takes away from my enjoyment of it.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • reznors edgereznors edge Posts: 136
    Love this album! I went through a little period where all I listened to was Sonic Youth and Pixies. I can't say it's as good as Surfer Rosa, but many of my fav Pixie songs are on it. Moterway to Roswell is beautiful. Their songs never failed to lift my spirits just a bit.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Love this album! I went through a little period where all I listened to was Sonic Youth and Pixies. I can't say it's as good as Surfer Rosa, but many of my fav Pixie songs are on it. Moterway to Roswell is beautiful. Their songs never failed to lift my spirits just a bit.

Motorway to Roswell is anthemic, my favourite Pixies album not a song I dislike, but in a decade of so many amazing albums I couldn't say it was number 1, In Utero, Dirt, BadMotorFinger, V's, Far Beyond Driven, The Bends and thats just the tip of the iceberg.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    Brainofdz wrote:
    What the fuck was that?!!

An example of an amazing performance by a freaking sweet ass band!
    Plus an example of David Letterman being around a long time when he says "popular new CD format"
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • nocodelover22nocodelover22 Posts: 108
    smithnic wrote:
    An example of an amazing performance by a freaking sweet ass band!
    Plus an example of David Letterman being around a long time when he says "popular new CD format"

It IS a pretty nice performance BUT....Davids not even drumming! He's air drumming to his own song. Fucked up.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    It IS a pretty nice performance BUT....Davids not even drumming! He's air drumming to his own song. Fucked up.

I think he's shaking maracas, or the like .... Joe doesn't even get the solo, the guy in Paul Schaeffer's band does (I remember Will Lee on bass, and Anton Figg on drums, can't remember the guitarists name in Schaeffer's band) ... that's a shame.

I saw LoudQuietLoud on Sundance this past weekend .... it was, pretty sad actually.

And they skipped their HUGELY successful performance at Coachella, which was a shame, because that was probably their biggest show of that 2004 tour.

Anyway ... UMass is one of my favorite Pixies songs, so, TLM is always solid in my book.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Surfer Rosa is my favorite Pixies album. Trompe Le Monde is forth for me, behind SR, Doolittle, and , I know it's an EP, Come On Pilgrim.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff