Blackbird

joshlsjoshls Posts: 39
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Have listened to the new Alter Bridge album a few times and I'm blown away! Amazing album. The title track is worth the price of admission alone. What do you guys think of it?
"I'll see you on the other side." - Sleight of Hand

Top Bands
1. Pearl Jam - Vs. , Ten , Avocado , Yield , Vitalogy , Binaural , No Code , Riot Act.
2. Tool - Lateralus , Aenima , 10,000 days , Undertow , Opiate
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Great album, and you're damn right about the title track, 8 minutes of incredible musicianship by anyone's standards.

I know a lot of people lump them in with all the other nu-grunge bands, but none of those bands have anywhere near as good guitar or vocal work, nor the balls to write something as long as eight minutes (or the writing skills to pull it off).

Be prepared to get flamed to death by the way, as usually happens around here..........
  • joshlsjoshls Posts: 39
    Flame suit on. FYI to those that have not heard it, this album sounds NOTHING like creed.

Top Bands
    1. Pearl Jam - Vs. , Ten , Avocado , Yield , Vitalogy , Binaural , No Code , Riot Act.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    joshls wrote:
    Have listened to the new Alter Bridge album a few times and I'm blown away! Amazing album. The title track is worth the price of admission alone. What do you guys think of it?
    I hated Creed and have a suspicion of Alter Bridge but I have to admit that Miles Kennedy is a great singer and Alter Bridge are the lesser of two evils. having listened to that title track on youtube though just makes me ask what I always ask, why do they always have to do these epic, bombastic rock songs? I can almost imagine the clifftop guitar solo video.

don't get me wrong, I'm not flaming. I listened with an open mind. It's just not for me. I also think Tremonti is too highly regarded amongst some people here. people seem to use his shredding skills as evidence of how good he is as a guitar player, in spite of the fact that, as a shredder, he is pretty mediocre. Far better rhythm guitarist than lead.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Not horrible, but it sounds like Creed as a hard rock band, musically. I know its the entire rest of the band, so maybe its the preconceived notions I had goin in. The singer is infinitely better than Scott Stapp.

Blackbird isn't that impressive. It's only 8 minutes b/c each section is so long, not because they are constantly changin parts or doin somethin totally out there. Any of those bands you mentioned that have a guitarist that is a decent lead player could write a song like this.

And yes, while mostly tasteless, Mark Tremonti can shred.
  • magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    Personally,

I'm pretty damn impressed by this song and record.
  • Ive been lsitening to the whole album an average of 4 times day for 4 days. Its awesome.
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Ive been lsitening to the whole album an average of 4 times day for 4 days. Its awesome.

Me, too. I've got tickets to the Seattle show and am looking forward to seeing them again. Myles Kennedy is an amazing singer and performer. I used to see him with the Mayfield Four at clubs in Seattle in the late 90's. Good stuff!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Not horrible, but it sounds like Creed as a hard rock band, musically. I know its the entire rest of the band, so maybe its the preconceived notions I had goin in. The singer is infinitely better than Scott Stapp.

Blackbird isn't that impressive. It's only 8 minutes b/c each section is so long, not because they are constantly changin parts or doin somethin totally out there. Any of those bands you mentioned that have a guitarist that is a decent lead player could write a song like this.

And yes, while mostly tasteless, Mark Tremonti can shred.

Yeah I think a lot of people find it hard to push the Creed connection out of their heads. But musically, if people didn't know it was those guys, listening to a song like Ties That Bind or Buried Alive, I doubt Creed would be the first band to come to mind. Musically I wouldn't say they were any more commercial sounding than Pearl Jam were on Ten, not that I'm saying Blackbird is as good as Ten, but you get what I mean.

And I totally understand why people can't shift the Creed thing, they were a truly shit band. For me though, the shitness was largely due to the singer, musically it was just average meat and potatoes rock - not offensive, so much as just not very imaginative. The new singer, Myles Kennedy, on the other hand, is the absolute polar opposite of Scott Stapp. Not least because he can sing very well, but he's also very down to earth and totally lacks the narcissistic, pious edge that Stapp had.

Having met all of Alter Bridge I can honestly say they really are a nice bunch of guys, even Tremonti who I expected to be full of rock star bull shit, was really cool. They hung around for over an hour after one show I saw, signing autographs and taking pictures with people. I couldn't help asking myself what on earth they were ever doing in a band with a no-mark loser like Stapp.

I think Blackbird, the song, is due a bit more respect too. The song was written for a friend of Kennedy's who died of cancer, I actually find it very moving. The point I was making was that it is not typical for a band of this genre to write a song this long, showing that they want to push themselves as musicians. The beginning part is very Radiohead-esque actually, not a typical influence for this type of band. And actually if you give it a few listens, it does have some fairly distinct passages.

Anyway, I'm not really trying to convince anyone here. I know Alter Bridge aren't necessarily reinventing the wheel, but for a melodic hard rock band, I think they are absolutely at the top of their game. I had to endure a whole 3 Doors Down album in my mate's car a while back, and they are nowhere near the musicians or writers that AB are, and don;t even get me started on Nickelback. Anyway, I'm just trying to explain why I like them.
    I just gave the whole album a spin, and ironically enough, it's the new singers vocal melodies and voice that remind me of Creed more than anything.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I just gave the whole album a spin, and ironically enough, it's the new singers vocal melodies and voice that remind me of Creed more than anything.

Let me first say, I hated Creed. Now let me say, I love Alter Bridge. Myles Kennedy has one of the best voices in rock. Now, i'll say...you need your ears checked. I mean that in the nicest way possible :)
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
    Let me first say, I hated Creed. Now let me say, I love Alter Bridge. Myles Kennedy has one of the best voices in rock. Now, i'll say...you need your ears checked. I mean that in the nicest way possible :)

Not saying its exact, but alotta the music is so far removed from Creed, yet there is still some sorta connection. Could be that some of the vocal melodies work out similarly to Creed, b/c even though music has changed quite a bit, maybe the way they arrange their chord progressions and note choice havent changed much.

What I am tryin to say is you can take some mellow music and take the same thing and make it super heavy or just change the sound and it's naturally gonna have some of the same vocal melodies put over them.
  • joshlsjoshls Posts: 39
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Not saying its exact, but alotta the music is so far removed from Creed, yet there is still some sorta connection. Could be that some of the vocal melodies work out similarly to Creed, b/c even though music has changed quite a bit, maybe the way they arrange their chord progressions and note choice havent changed much.

What I am tryin to say is you can take some mellow music and take the same thing and make it super heavy or just change the sound and it's naturally gonna have some of the same vocal melodies put over them.

It is the same guitar player, so your going to get a lot of the some chord progressions/style.

Top Bands
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:

I see where you're coming from. On the first album, I see that a lot more. Tremonti had most of the lyrics and melodies before Myles ever came on board. I've read he still co-writes with Myles, so that's probably where you're getting the similiarities. I just hate when people talk about Creed so much when discussing Myles Kennedy. The guy is just an amazing talent. He's the reason I listen to Alter Bridge like I do. Tremonti is a good guitarist sure but, Myles is a step above that entire band, I think he's a step above a lot of the vocalists out there today. You should check out his old band Mayfield Four if you haven't already. Their album Second Skin is a good listen.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • People need to listen to Summergirl by Kennedy's old band Mayfield Four, to hear what he is capable of and where he's coming from. Vocally he couldn't be more different from Stapp. This guy on a technical basis is up there with Cornell and Buckley.
    People need to listen to Summergirl by Kennedy's old band Mayfield Four, to hear what he is capable of and where he's coming from. Vocally he couldn't be more different from Stapp. This guy on a technical basis is up there with Cornell and Buckley.

Off subject, but is Cornell really viewed as a highly technical singer? He has quite a range on him, but arent technical more consistent. Don't get me wrong I love that he goes for it, but to me a technical singer can go for it night in and night out and be spot on.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Off subject, but is Cornell really viewed as a highly technical singer? He has quite a range on him, but arent technical more consistent. Don't get me wrong I love that he goes for it, but to me a technical singer can go for it night in and night out and be spot on.
    I kind of agree because he really does have off days, but listening to the studio version of Say Hello 2 Heaven, I don't think I've ever heard a better vocal, so calling him anything other than technical seems wrong.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:

Actually if you've seen him recently on tour you will know he is more consistent now than he has ever been in his career. I've seen him 3 times this year, and his voice was absolutely jaw-dropping, at the end of Say Hello To Heaven, I was speechless. But regardless, he is deemed an incredible singer by most people's standards, I'm sure it probably took him a few takes in the studio to record stuff like Say Hello To Heaven or Slaves and Bulldozers, but when he nailed it, he nailed it like very few singers could ever hope to. Myles Kennedy is very similar in that respect, people who doubt him should listen to the end of Summergirl, or Save Me to see what this guy can pull off, and let me tell you, it's light years ahead of what Chad Kroegar, Scott Stapp etc could ever do.
    Actually if you've seen him recently on tour you will know he is more consistent now than he has ever been in his career. I've seen him 3 times this year, and his voice was absolutely jaw-dropping, at the end of Say Hello To Heaven, I was speechless. But regardless, he is deemed an incredible singer by most people's standards, I'm sure it probably took him a few takes in the studio to record stuff like Say Hello To Heaven or Slaves and Bulldozers, but when he nailed it, he nailed it like very few singers could ever hope to. Myles Kennedy is very similar in that respect, people who doubt him should listen to the end of Summergirl, or Save Me to see what this guy can pull off, and let me tell you, it's light years ahead of what Chad Kroegar, Scott Stapp etc could ever do.

Oh god well yeah. Cornell can belt it. I have heard he's more consistent now, than ever.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Oh god well yeah. Cornell can belt it. I have heard he's more consistent now, than ever.

Well he's just as technically good as a female singer like say Mariah Carey (ok I know she's stupid and whatever, but the girl can sing) and for a male, very few singers can do what Cornell can do, which is why there aren't a load of copycat singers like there were with Vedder. This is why I was so shocked when I heard Alter Bridge, I only checked them out initially to confound my initial thoughts about them, but after hearing Kennedy sing songs like Find The Real and Burn It Down, I was eating my words. Perhaps his voice papers over the cracks in the music for me, I don't know, but singers like him don't come round very often.

Anyway, in case anyone wants to check it out, here is Summergirl by Mayfield Four: http://download.yousendit.com/0D6B6775630C4A62
    I just listened to save me and while, again, it's not my kind of thing musicially speakin, the high pitched vocals near the end were actually very much like cornell's. certainly more than Stapp could ever pull off.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I just listened to save me and while, again, it's not my kind of thing musicially speakin, the high pitched vocals near the end were actually very much like cornell's. certainly more than Stapp could ever pull off.

Oh yeah, Save Me is by no means a good song, no wonder it was an out-take from the album, but the vocals own virtually everyone in the business! That note goes on forever, and then it goes even higher! I dunno, it just impresses the hell out of me :)
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    It's the only cd i've listened to since Tuesday. So much better than One Day Remains in every possible way. My favorites are Blackbird, White Knuckles, Ties That Bind, Come To Life, Buried Alive and Coming Home. I really enjoy every song on the album.

You can actually hear the bass in this album and it really pays off. Phillips has improved a lot as well, much more creative in his drumming than ODR.
  • This album hasen't come out in Australia yet but I've heard most of the songs online. ODR was a very good rock record but this is a vast improvement, at least going by what I have heard so far. I highly doubt any band has put out a better song than the title track this year. Its epic and it is moving in a very real sense. What is impressive is the first part of the solo section (that goes for about a minute) is actually Myles, than Tremonti comes in and does his bit.

While I love Tremonti's section I found Myles' solo to be more soulful and have a bit more feeling to it. How many lead singers (who are not in three piece bands) are capable of pulling off a solo like Kennedy can? Wind-Up actually tried to get Creed back together but the band told them to get stuffed and joined Universal records. It seems Tremonti and co finally have put out an album that lives up to the promise that "My Own Prison" showed, before they started spewing out shit like "Don't Stop Dancing" and "Lullaby".
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    snooze fest.
    It seems Tremonti and co finally have put out an album that lives up to the promise that "My Own Prison" showed, before they started spewing out shit like "Don't Stop Dancing" and "Lullaby".
    My Own Prison (the song, rather than the album) was the only thing Creed ever did that approaches tolerable. I think it's just because Stapp didn't seem to be trying to sound like Eddie in the chorus. Sure, plenty of people have been influenced by him but Stapp just sounded like a drunken frat-boy singing PJ karaoke, badly.
  • Ive come to realise the only thing wrong with Creed was Scott Stapp, the rest are amazing musicians
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Ive come to realise the only thing wrong with Creed was Scott Stapp, the rest are amazing musicians

Truth!
  • I like what I'm hearing...personally I loved Creed when I heard their first

album...Ode and Torn are great fucking songs...I don't care who you are,

but they are. But the shit they tried to pass off as good rock after that

initial album...well you know...it was abhorent. Anyways, Alter Bridge is

bringing me back in...and for the guy that said Mark was a better rhythm

guitar player than lead shredder...I laugh at you...LOUDLY!!!
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • brain of c wrote:
    snooze fest.

What does this post mean? Are you sleepy? Try 8 hours tonight and a cup of coffee tomorrow...maybe then you wont be so snoozy/unaccepting of other people's opinions
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • Agreed this blackbird is a great album and alter bridge is a great band.
    Let me say if you like AB's records..you MUST see them live.
    They kill it. It's too bad people sometimes think Creed when AB is mentioned because they truly blow Greed I mean Creed out of the fackin water.

Myles is an unbelievable talent. Wait to you see him play guitar and sing at the same time. Not sure how he does it. I gotta chance to have a few drinks with Myles and Tremonti after the NYC show last week and they are extremely nice guys. To me this a unique, refreshing, and solid rock band.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra