Dredg

joshlsjoshls Posts: 39
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I just picked up their newest album. It has blown me away! Amazing band Can't wait to hear their first two albums. Anybody else a fan?
"I'll see you on the other side." - Sleight of Hand

Top Bands
1. Pearl Jam - Vs. , Ten , Avocado , Yield , Vitalogy , Binaural , No Code , Riot Act.
2. Tool - Lateralus , Aenima , 10,000 days , Undertow , Opiate
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    You really need to get El Cielo. Amazing amazing amazing. I've been in love with this band for years and they just never catch on. They're always right there on the verge, but never break in. However they have a very very loyal and stable fanbase right now where they can play some decent sized clubs and they tour quite often. They're also amazing live, so you can never miss with this band. I'm glad to see a new band.

But yeah I recommend El Cielo first. Then get Lietmotif. Lietmotif is a bit edgier and harder and the insert has a nice story to read while you listen to the album, but El Cielo is a masterpiece to me. Keep on listening and let me know what you think. Dino is probably one of the best drummers around too. Blows me away live everytime. Has such a simple set yet has more sound coming out of it than any drummer out there.
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    i absolutely LOOOOOOOVE the album 'catch without arms'....they're really underrated....tho i never seem to get into their older work...guess i'll need to give 'el cielo' a few more listens
  • El Cielo is sheer brilliance.

I've been into this band for about four years now and I've seen them live twice. Wonderful!

It's a shame they haven't made it big.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I just cannot see the brilliance that so many pepole appreciate in el cielo. It just sounds so tame.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    Echoes wrote:
    I just cannot see the brilliance that so many pepole appreciate in el cielo. It just sounds so tame.

Do you like their other work? Leitmotif or Catch Without Arms? Since all three albums have three different styles, do you like one of those better?
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    Do you like their other work? Leitmotif or Catch Without Arms? Since all three albums have three different styles, do you like one of those better?

Catch without arms had some good poppy songs, but I haven't listened to Leitmotif. I am not exactly hella motivated to, either. I'll throw on El Cielo from time to time because someone bought it for me and I really really want to give it a very fair chance
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i've only heard ode to the sun and bug eyes. singer and guitar sort of sounds like bono/u2. ?
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Echoes wrote:
    Catch without arms had some good poppy songs, but I haven't listened to Leitmotif. I am not exactly hella motivated to, either. I'll throw on El Cielo from time to time because someone bought it for me and I really really want to give it a very fair chance

The Canyon Behind Her!

That song moves me to tears.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like these guys i saw them earlier this year.

Great live show. Lots of energy.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    You really need to get El Cielo. Amazing amazing amazing. I've been in love with this band for years and they just never catch on. They're always right there on the verge, but never break in. However they have a very very loyal and stable fanbase right now where they can play some decent sized clubs and they tour quite often. They're also amazing live, so you can never miss with this band. I'm glad to see a new band.

But yeah I recommend El Cielo first. Then get Lietmotif. Lietmotif is a bit edgier and harder and the insert has a nice story to read while you listen to the album, but El Cielo is a masterpiece to me. Keep on listening and let me know what you think. Dino is probably one of the best drummers around too. Blows me away live everytime. Has such a simple set yet has more sound coming out of it than any drummer out there.

i used to love leitmotif.. that album is fucking great.. never liked any of their other stuff...
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Dredg is fucking brilliant...love everything by them. Gavin & Drew have contributed 2 songs on the new album by The Sound of Animals Fighting.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    I saw them years ago (supporting Alien Ant Farm, who the ex-missus liked, but at least AAF had decent support).

I was impressed - on first listen they reminded me of less heavy Tool. Ive always kept an eye out for them but never bought anything, What should I buy?
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Leitmotif.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • joshlsjoshls Posts: 39
    Just ordered their first two albums. Can't wait to give them a listen!
    "I'll see you on the other side." - Sleight of Hand

Top Bands
    1. Pearl Jam - Vs. , Ten , Avocado , Yield , Vitalogy , Binaural , No Code , Riot Act.
    2. Tool - Lateralus , Aenima , 10,000 days , Undertow , Opiate
  • jaygreen12jaygreen12 Posts: 166
    JSP552003 wrote:
    i absolutely LOOOOOOOVE the album 'catch without arms'....they're really underrated....tho i never seem to get into their older work...guess i'll need to give 'el cielo' a few more listens

Same here. Their newest album is far superior to anything they have done. It is also a bit more mainstream.
    6/03/06-East Rutherford II

The One and Only
  • They're an incredible mix of styles and talents, I mean, any band whos drummer plays piano during a song gets a point from me (bug eyes). They have sucha unique, brilliant sound from blending their own unique stuff with things from their influences, you here the tool, the radiohead, but you also hear something uniquely them at the same time.

Maybe pearl jam will have dredg open for them, we'll get to see two of the best bands on earth together :P
    PearlJam134.gif