Scratchin a LetterScratchin a Letter Posts: 2,303
edited December 2006 in Other Music
A day that a big part of music died...

Thinking of you John.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0031
    WHAAHYEAH!!
  • I really wish I would have been around when he was. There are days where I wonder what he would be doing with the state of todays world.
  • It's also the day I was born!
    Strangely I've always felt a connection with Lennon. Not in a weird way, but in a musical way. I'm a huge lennon fan. More lennon than the beatles.
    Wish I coulda seen him play too!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    Anyone going to Strawberry Fields today in NYC? I think ill stop by after work, I'm a big fan of his/the Beatles and I want to pay my respect. I remember the first time I walked past the side entrance to the Dakota building where he was shot, it was very weird.
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I heard "Instant Karma" this morning and it gave me chills. Peace John Lennon, we need ya here more than ever!
  • nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    R.I.P. John. We all miss you very much.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one
  • ABC NEWS video with the full coverage of the event :
    http://www.myspace.com/eddievedderpj

RIP John .... we miss you
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    It really is strange that he's dead (even though he and I were never alive at the same time). I've found myself reading the book The Beatles Anthology, and listening to them a lot lately. I group up very much on the Beatles, but for the most part in the last 4 years, they have been absent as part of what I would listen to regularly. However, over the last 6 months I have very much started listening to them a lot again. I wish I could have seen them perform.

You had a great impact on the world John. Thank you.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Rest In Peace.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    john lennon will forever be missed. many of us were not around before his death, but his music has forever impacted us. that's the greatest testament to his musicianship -- his creations are timeless.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    It's amazing to see the level of respect and admiration for the Beatles/Lennon even today, especially in the younger crowd who weren't even around when he was killed. Really, no other band comes close to matching up.

I quote a David Gilmour song, 'Murder', in which it is said to be his response to Lennon's killing, although the lyrics (especially how the killing occurred- shooting vs stabbing) leave it somewhat up to the listener to apply. I find it apt, and it is not surprising that I think it is one of his strongest solo songs.

RIP, John.

Some of them standing, some were waiting in line
    As if there was something that they thought they might find
    Taking some strength from the feelings that always were shared
    And in the background, the eyes that just stared

What was it brought you out here in the dark
    Was it your only way of making your mark
    Did you get rid of all the voices in your head
    Do you now miss them and the things that they said

On your own admission you raised up the knife
    And you brought it down ending another man's life
    When it was done you just threw down the blade
    While the red blood spread wider like the anger you made

I don't want this anger burning in me
    It's something from which it's so hard to be free
    But none of the tears that we cry in sorrow or rage
    Can make any difference, or turn back the page
  • I'm a huge Lennon fan too. So sad:( I know what you mean Yosi, I wasn't born until after he died either... but its strange, I almost feel like I miss him.
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I was only a month and a half old, when Lennon was brutally taken away from us, but I know the impact that he had on everyone who was touched by his music. My older brother was a HUGE Lennon fan (he still is) and when he tells me when he first heard about it, he said he was devestated and he could not believe it that wonderful man was taken by some psycho! From my brother, i grew up w/the Beatles and John Lennon solo stuff. The stuff he wrote w/ and w/o the beatles are truly amazing and beautiful. Gimme Some Truth and Mother are powerful songs!

I still wish he was still around b/c the music world, in fact, the WHOLE world needs Lennon today!

RIP John Winston Ono Lennon

:(
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Given the option, I would have taken those bullets for John. He meant more to the world then I ever will. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

So many that live and have no impact. John deserved better.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i'm so glad he was born. may he rest in the peace he so deserves.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • He was just one out there on his own...

Sadly there's not really been anyone like him since...

RIP John.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Given the option, I would have taken those bullets for John. He meant more to the world then I ever will. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

So many that live and have no impact. John deserved better.

That is very nobel of you. We need more people who would think selflessly so I am sure you make a big difference to the people around you.

I just wish his song imagine could be realized in real life so no more people would have to die needlessly.