Thoughts on Modern Times

edited August 2006 in Other Music
What an album....blew me away from the first listen. Love Nettie Moore, Ain't Talkin and When The Deal Goes Down.

Your thoughts?
the needle & the damage done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    i like it too.although some of the songs have the standard blues thing going, which has been done since the 50's. but then again he doesnt have to be new all the time.
    i need another couple of listens
    I change by not changing at all.
  • daanarts wrote:
    i like it too.although some of the songs have the standard blues thing going, which has been done since the 50's. but then again he doesnt have to be new all the time.
    i need another couple of listens
    Dylan is one of the few guys who I think transcends the standard blues songs..

he's written some of the best "standard" sogns ever.

*hums Meet Me in the Morning* :D

I have it but haven't listened yet.. saving it for later today!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I think the album completes the trilogy that began with Time Out of Mind. Though there isn't a song as immediately engaging as Not Dark Yet on Modern Times, I'm already finding this album the most rewarding of his releases, since 1997. There are times when you'd wish Dylan had been more economical with his words (one doesn't always need so many images to illustrate one theme), and there are occasions when the old-timey pastiche sounds a little excessive, and too much like self parody, to be successful. (Love and Theft covered that ground adequately enough, I feel. Anything more after that, risks being superfluous or boring.) But overall, Modern Times is far and away my favourite album of the decade, so far.

Standout tracks? Working Man's Blues #2, and Nettie Moore, I feel.