Time Out Of Mind vs Love & Theft

edited July 2006 in Other Music
Which do you think is the better album?
the needle & the damage done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Time Out of Mind is a masterpiece.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • ChillimanChilliman Posts: 18
    who are these bands... have you guys ever heard chocolate starfish & the hotdog flavoured water, this album is the best metal album ever!
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    Love And Theft is the far superior album in my opinion. The lyrics are fantastic (although some of the lines he may have borrowed) And the musicianship is incredible. One of the best sessions bands in the world.
    The album contains almost nothing but masterpiece songs.

Whereas, Time Out of Mind's lyrics are often criticized for being sub-par.
    And the only great songs on the album are "Love Sick" "Standing In The Doorway" "Trying To Get To Heaven" "Not Dark Yet" "Make You Feel My Love." The other 6 songs just sound a bit weak compared to those (although I've tended to always really like Dirt Road Blues for some reason)

Dylan (imho) has only made 4 absolutely perfect album (as in they couldn't be any better if he tried, and I'm not saying his other albums aren't masterpieces because most of them are) But as for truly perfect:

Highway 61 Revisited
    Blonde On Blonde
    John Wesley Harding
    Love And Theft
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    toom is it for me
  • You listed the best songs on TOOM without saying Not Dark Yet?

Anyway, both are incredible and i won't choose.

I suppose you guys know Dylan's new album will be out in August right? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    You listed the best songs on TOOM without saying Not Dark Yet?

I suppose you guys know Dylan's new album will be out in August right? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I can't believe I forgot the best song on the album. Thanks for pointing out my stupidity.

That's ok, I'll choose for you. That's 2 for "Love And Theft"
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    time out of mind for me. altho i adore love and theft as well. can't wait til august 20 when i get to see him again!
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    L&T was a real disappointment to me after TOOM. I still can't really objectively listen to L&T to this day.

Time Out of Mind it is. Such a great album, and the first to get me to really notice Dylan outside of his popular songs.
  • Erm, I like what the poet Patrick Kavanagh said: "Tragedy is underdeveloped comedy, not fully born." TOOM is sometimes self-sorry tragedy, with some occasional elements of self deprecation lightening the mix. L&T is the voice of recuperation and a newborn aesthetic of not giving a shit after being nearly dead, giving way to a lovely, ironic world overview. L&T is closer to the best moments of Highway 61 than the grunge-friendly TOOM. It's younger than TOOM (insert My Back Pages quotation here).
  • Thanks for all the responses...I'm leaning towards 'Love and Theft', what with Highway 61 being my favourite Dylan album. I imagine I'll end up buying Time Out Of Mind as well...I'm a sucker for Bob Dylan.
    the needle & the damage done
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Can't go wrong with either one, but they are very different albums. I'd have to lean to L&T as well, although its close.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Time out of mind, it has make you feel my love, love sick, not dark yet, standing in the doorway, trying to get to heaven, highlands, all masterpieces.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Love 'em both. You can't go wrong with either of them and you CERTAINLY couldn't go wrong with both of them.

If I must choose only one, I'd say Love & Theft by a slight margin. It's more cohesive.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020