U2 and Mary J. Blige

kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
edited June 2006 in Other Music
WTF?

Fell asleep on the sofa after watching "Life Wasted" on VH1. I wake to Bono and Mary J. Blige, MJB to her rich friends, warbling U2's "One." Way to ruin a great song, boys. Man, the Edge needs to put a stop to all this silliness. And Larry Mullins Jr. needs to use less hair jelly. His carbon footprint must be pretty big. Bono's carbon footprint is probably among the world's biggest. And I will never forgive him for ruining RITFW in Toronto. It was cool to see him on stage and all, but why couldn't he duet with Ed like he apparently is with Mary J. Blige, MJB to her rich friends. Rich people suck.
I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
(Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
Next Stop: ???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I heard the audio of that performance (U2 & MJB) and I kinda like it.

Too bad Bono couldn't sell Rockin' in the Free World as well in Toronto.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    not as good as the original but i like this version...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Mary J Blige sucks, i was disgusted when i heard about this, being the massive U2 fan that i am.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • The original version of this song is one ( no pun) of my fav songs of all time and although this version is sanctioned by the band, it disgusts me that Bono would want to do this to U2's masterpiece.

It really makes my blood boil, the original is perfect, simple but heartbreaking lyrics delivered by Bono at the top of his game and the band providing a sublime musical backdrop to Bono's poetic verse.

It recently won a pole for best lyric of all time, maybe that's a little strong but for me it's just perfect, a lyric that is universal and shows the band putting a roof on their music and not doing widescreen ( Joshua Tree) for once.
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    It's just wrong........... :(
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    Im soo fucken sick of people ruining great songs! I mean if your going to cover such widely renowned songs at least do it well.. i swear first it was avril lavigne doing a half ass cover of bob dylans knocking on heavens door now its bloody Mary J. Blige doing well lets just say a less than half decent cover of "one"!! And the fact that Bono not only allowed her to ruin such a great song but the fact that he actually did a duet with her really makes me loose some respect for the guy!!
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • disgusting, fucking disgusting!
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i cringe.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I like it. It's not as good as the original, granted, but her passion is undeniable, and she does have an incredible voice.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Is this some live version, or did they re-record it?? Whatever it is, it sounds like a bastardization of the song.
  • She's got passion, fair enough
    but her style doesn't suit the music
    although I'm not a huge fan of U2
    that was a really good song

and now it's the most cringeworthy thing I'v ever heard
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Well, "One" is basically a soul song. It sounds like it could have been written by Otis Redding. I'm sure she heard something like that in it, and wanted to interpret it a little more that way. I haven't heard her version, and I doubt I will, however I think it is a cool idea. I like it when people interpret songs in different ways. Maybe its not that great, but I think it is cool that she is trying something differnet like that.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    kidapollo wrote:
    WTF?

Fell asleep on the sofa after watching "Life Wasted" on VH1. I wake to Bono and Mary J. Blige, MJB to her rich friends, warbling U2's "One." Way to ruin a great song, boys. Man, the Edge needs to put a stop to all this silliness. And Larry Mullins Jr. needs to use less hair jelly. His carbon footprint must be pretty big. Bono's carbon footprint is probably among the world's biggest. And I will never forgive him for ruining RITFW in Toronto. It was cool to see him on stage and all, but why couldn't he duet with Ed like he apparently is with Mary J. Blige, MJB to her rich friends. Rich people suck.

yea, it sucks...

really got a kick out of the hair jelly comment :)

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    I'm not totally against the idea of U2 (or any band for that matter) collaborating on an old song like "One". HOWEVER, I really dislike Mary J. Blige and happen to think she's one of the most overated female vocalists ever. "One" is one of my favorite U2 songs...i'll stick to the original.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'm not totally against the idea of U2 (or any band for that matter) collaborating on an old song like "One". HOWEVER, I really dislike Mary J. Blige and happen to think she's one of the most overated female vocalists ever. "One" is one of my favorite U2 songs...i'll stick to the original.

See i can understand just not liking her, and i'm not sure how you rate a vocalist, but she has a lot of power and range - not to mention most other female singers in her genre sing about banal bollocks, at least she gives it some 'soul' which is surely the point...
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    See i can understand just not liking her, and i'm not sure how you rate a vocalist, but she has a lot of power and range - not to mention most other female singers in her genre sing about banal bollocks, at least she gives it some 'soul' which is surely the point...

A lot of power and range I agree with 100%. Like most R&B singers do, she goes off on one of her solos or something and its very common for her to get off key. Her music definitley has more depth than 99.9% of other artists in her genre, she just isn't a good singer to me.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!