Options

Porcupine Tree

omniscientomniscient Posts: 67
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Which PT album is your favourite? I recommend "In Absentia" and "Voyage 34" :p THe band is definetely worth checking out live.I saw them playing with Van Der Graaf Generator and was impressed ,to put it mildly.
11/01/96 warsaw
06/15/00 katowice
06/16/00 katowice
09/22/06 prague
09/23/06 berlin
09/25/06 vienna
06/13/07 chorzow
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Porcupine Tree is one of those bands that are right up my alley but somehow I didn't like them. But they definitely need to be heard and talked about more than some of the bands mentioned here.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    omniscient wrote:
    Which PT album is your favourite? I recommend "In Absentia" and "Voyage 34" :p THe band is definetely worth checking out live.I saw them playing with Van Der Graaf Generator and was impressed ,to put it mildly.

What songs did they play??? I am going to see them with Robert Fripp in Chicago 10/11.

My favorite album is "Sky Moves Sideways". I love the ambient stuff. I haven't heard "Voyage 34" but it is on the way to my house as I type.
    So shines a good deed in a weary world.......
  • Options
    caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
    Porcupine Tree is great! They have awesome songs and albums.

I'm really laking their latest album ("Deadwing"), specially "Arriving somewhere but not here"... 12 minutes of pure bliss...

Everyone check 'em out!
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Options
    lazarus is a great song.the last album is really good, but i don't know ther others.
    it's easy to confuse a great design with life's ripercussions

i'd rather die than give you control
  • Options
    caifan82 wrote:
    Porcupine Tree is great! They have awesome songs and albums.

I'm really laking their latest album ("Deadwing"), specially "Arriving somewhere but not here"... 12 minutes of pure bliss...

Everyone check 'em out!

I just found out that they added another show for Chicago on the 12th. Unfortunately, I will be out of town for that one, but both shows, including the one I am attending on Tuesday, will be recorded for their first live DVD!!!!!!

I AM SO PUMPED!!!
    So shines a good deed in a weary world.......
  • Options
    What songs did they play??? I am going to see them with Robert Fripp in Chicago 10/11.

My favorite album is "Sky Moves Sideways". I love the ambient stuff. I haven't heard "Voyage 34" but it is on the way to my house as I type.

"Voyage 34" is an experimental album(without Wilson's vocals) and definitely worth listening to....Let me know what do you think of it as soon as you have it.
    They played mainly the new songs,i.e.Deadwing(never heard such drums live!),Lazarus,Halo,Arriving Somewhere But Not Here,Shallow.Also She's Moved On,Lightbulb Sun.No "Radioactive Toy"and "Russia on Ice" tho...-my fav ones..You're so lucky to see them with Fripp.I still remember how much fun I had two months ago..Steven came on stage with Blackfield,then the band left and Van Der Graaf Generator gave an amazing performance..Porcupine Tree as the third band with perfect acoustics played an unforgettable show..They're coming back to Europe so I'll check them soon again..:D I hope all of you who are going to see them live in the States will have similar experiences.(They signed Deadwing CD for me too:D)
    Anyone heard Barbieri's solo album? Their side projects are also great.
    11/01/96 warsaw
    06/15/00 katowice
    06/16/00 katowice
    09/22/06 prague
    09/23/06 berlin
    09/25/06 vienna
    06/13/07 chorzow
  • Options
    i like "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Lightbulb Sun" the most!
    Per sognare altri mondi non è mai troppo tardi
    Another world is possible
  • Options
    TTOMOTTOMO Posts: 11
    I don't know anything about these guys and I haven't heard a note of their music, but they have really awesome album covers.
    07/19/98 Vancouver BC
    05/30/03 Vancouver BC
    09/02/05 Vancouver BC

"And where are they now, the little people of Stonehenge? And what would they say to us, if we were here...tonight?"

Go Vancouver Canucks, Go BC Lions!!!
  • Options
    nepalnepal Posts: 143
    So I´m thinking of buying Signify as my first Porcupine Tree album, is it a good choise or do you recommend something else?
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    nepal wrote:
    So I´m thinking of buying Signify as my first Porcupine Tree album, is it a good choise or do you recommend something else?
    I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this as well. I only have Signify. There is something on that CD that keeps me intrigued but I can't say I love it. I would like to know how the others sound by comparison.
  • Options
    nepalnepal Posts: 143
    No Porcupine Tree fans here? I have never really liked Tool, don´t know why, and some of the Porcupine Tree song I have heard sound similar to Tool, not all, but some. So my question is, if I don´t like Tool, are there some particular PT albums I should check out? Just tell me which album I should start out with.
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    viggs20 wrote:
    Porcupine Tree is one of those bands that are right up my alley but somehow I didn't like them. But they definitely need to be heard and talked about more than some of the bands mentioned here.

+1

Deadwing and In Absentia are my personal favorites :)
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    A bump for thsi brilliant band.

If you dig PT, you might want to check out Oceansize too. Two of my favorite bands right now. :)
  • Options
    CynCyn Posts: 21
    I am so excited !!! I have to find a way to go to these 2 concerts !!! Is anyone here going to be there ? I have never been to Germany but I need to find a way. My 2 favorite bands at the same place. A dream come true.
    I can't speak a word of German anyone here speak both English and German so that I could ask you questions so I could figure out if I could make this dream trip come true ?

Is anyone else here as excited about this as I am ???
    "I won't change direction and I won't change my mind, how much difference does it make?"
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    A friend of mine burned me Deadwig, and I loved it!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    I think Porcupine Tree deserves a bump.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    omniscient wrote:
    Damn good band live. I'd recommend any of their albums, but everyone has to see these guys play live at least once before they die
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    They're back! New album coming out next year. Preorders are already up. First song sounds pretty good!
  • Options
    BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    Very exciting!
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 640
    Croos1226 said:
    They're back! New album coming out next year. Preorders are already up. First song sounds pretty good!
    It sounds excellent. For me, noone does this quite like them. Gavin's drumming is insane
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    Agree, new song sounds great, Gavin is a force

• Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 804
    Shame Colin Edwin isn't there, but very exciting nonetheless. Hope they make it down under.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 640
    JT167846 said:
    Shame Colin Edwin isn't there, but very exciting nonetheless. Hope they make it down under.
    Massive shame. I did wonder if it would sound like porcupine tree without him... But those drums and keys... It's unmistakable
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 804
    Yeah Barbieri sounds fantastic on it. Harrison is, well Harrison. Danny Carey and Jimmy Chamberlin are my two favourite drummers, Harrison is fast moving into third at least.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018