I've got a confession to make......Nirvana related

Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Ok....so I just realized something tonight.....I liked Nirvana more then I ever liked Pearl Jam.

Now that is not to say I hold anything against them, because well.....its fucking Pearl Jam!!!!

I was watching Live Tonight Sold Out........the new DVD by Nirvana, and I had to stop and think......wow man, this band was the fucking best.

That's not to say I dislike Pearl Jam ya'll. Just that I hold a strong belief that if Kurt hadn't killed himself that Eddie would have.

Would I have felt bad about that....you know it, and I respect the guys for carrying on in everything they have, but I can't help but think what if it was the other way around???

Would Kurt and Nirvana still be around today?? I hope and pray that they would, but I highly doubt it.

So to that I praise Pearl Jam for sticking it out! For making it out of the '90's and being the best Rock Band on the PLANET!!!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• say 10 hail mary's and 2 our fathers... rethink it once more and you'll be forgiven. everyone has their own opinion...mine is no fuckin' way nirvana comes close to being as good as PJ and I seriously doubt Ed would be as cowardly and kill himself ever!!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    Live Tonight Sold Out was a great video. Back in the day, Muddy Banks of the Wishkah got more CD player time than Vitalogy or Vs. This was before No Code was released. Actually, I had a cassette player back then.

After No Code was released, I pretty much stopped listening to Nirvana. I think that may have been because they had stopped making music, and I had burned out on all of their stuff. Still, when I listen to their stuff now, the mood is too angstful for my palette. I think that's the same reason why I don't listen to metal anymore. It's too high-strung for me. I think I need to listen to relaxation stuff or jazz instead.
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    I don't think that Nirvana would still exist if Cobain were still alive. They weren't really big friends like the Pearl Jam members are. And they hadn't that musical horizont like Pearl Jam have.
    Sorrry but they'd never have survived the 90's
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    luxpjamer wrote:
    They weren't really big friends like the Pearl Jam members are. And they hadn't that musical horizont like Pearl Jam have.
    Sorrry but they'd never have survived the 90's

From what I've read, Krist and Kurt were very close before they were famous and Dave and Kurt were also good friends when Dave first entered the band. I think the relationship between the three were friendly and amicable before that blood-sucking leach of a women "the one who should not be named" starting warping Kurt's mind and then the problems between the band members happened.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    How can a band that pretty much only had 2 major albums be better than a band that has been around for 15 years?

Meh, it's all opinion I guess....
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    smarchee wrote:
    From what I've read, Krist and Kurt were very close before they were famous and Dave and Kurt were also good friends when Dave first entered the band. I think the relationship between the three were friendly and amicable before that blood-sucking leach of a women "the one who should not be named" starting warping Kurt's mind and then the problems between the band members happened.

Yeah that's surely the eason but at the end they weren't friends anymore and that's the point I meant....
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Yeah, that's about right, towards the end it was just a disaster, the relationship between all of the band members. From the many books I have read, the time Dave and Kurt lived together before recording Nirvana and for a little time afterwards after were happy times for both of them. It seemed the starting point for problems was when Krist wasn't invited to the wedding in Hawaii because CL wasn't thrilled with how Krist's woman felt about her
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • I hate comparisons between PJ and Nirvana. In my opinion Cobain is overrated and you cannot compare the rantings of Cobain to the lyrical genius of Vedder. Nirvana only remained in the limelight because Cobain killed himself which added some mystique to the band. Don't get me wrong some of their songs are really great but lets not try to compare. I'm sorry to offend.
    11/5/93 Indio, CA;11/6/95 SD; 7/13/98 LA; 10/24/00 LA; 10/28/00 SB; 4/1/03 CO; 6/2/03 OC; 6/5/03 SD; 9/2/05 BC; 7/9-10/06 LA; 10/21/06 Bridge; 12/9/06 Oahu; 10/27/07 Bridge; 4/12/08 Eddie; 6/30/08 Mansfield; 9/30/09 Universal; 7/9/11 Eddie; 11/23-24/13 LA; 11/26/13 Oak.;10/22/13 CO
  • Nirvana today would be like The Cure, NIN, or even Everclear, same main guy, different musicians come and go
    Strictly for my ninjas
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Nirvana made some genius music, but you can't compare them to PJ. I'm not saying one's better or worse, but they were totally different.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Ok....so I just realized something tonight.....I liked Nirvana more then I ever liked Pearl Jam.
    that's OK, we can't all be perfect, now can we? ;)
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Thorns2010 wrote:

That's not to say I dislike Pearl Jam ya'll. Just that I hold a strong belief that if Kurt hadn't killed himself that Eddie would have.

Huh?

I think each person's character has been revealed by the life he has lead. I don't mean to critique either person by saying that. But I don't see how it makes any sense to say if one hadn't killed himself then the other one would... Unless there was some REEEAAALLY Freaky "Non-Compete" clause in their "Voice of a generation" contracts.

;-)
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    IDgotI wrote:
    Huh?

I think each person's character has been revealed by the life he has lead. I don't mean to critique either person by saying that. But I don't see how it makes any sense to say if one hadn't killed himself then the other one would... Unless there was some REEEAAALLY Freaky "Non-Compete" clause in their "Voice of a generation" contracts.

;-)

The reason I said that was from everything I've read from around that time, Ed was very very unstable in his life. And I think Kurt killing himself made Ed stop and think 'woah, we have to pull back, otherwise it could happen to me'

I mean look at it, Kurt dead in April '94, Vitalogy comes out in December and it was a very very dark album, bitching about the fame of it all. Yes they started pulling back before then, after Ten blew up so huge, but they didn't really start pulling away until after Kurt died.

At least in my opinion.
  • Otis64Otis64 Posts: 41
    Nirvana is no match to Pearl Jam live in concert. PJ on their worst day could own Nirvana in the live department.
    It's Gonna Be A Long Walk Home
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    'If Kurt hadnt killed himself then Eddie would have' (???)

I like Nirvana but not in the way i love Pearl Jam. They are two completely different sounding bands though.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I remember back then when someone asked me who I thought would still be together in 10+ years, I said Nirvana. It seemed to me that PJ might break up due to the way they were handling the publicity at the time. In a strange way I think that maybe Kurt's death may have helped PJ in that they slowed down and backed away. It was a wake up call of sorts. It's all very sad, but I am glad that PJ are the ones that survived. I can't imagine the last 10+ years with out PJ, and don't even want to think about them not being around. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The two bands couldn't be more different, and I think it's ridiculous to try to compare them. Neither band was better than the other. Nirvana made some genius music back then, as did Pearl Jam. I'll bet if Kurt hadn't blown his head off, he'd still be making music as a solo artist. The last TV interview he did was with Erica Ehm on Muchmusic, and I distinctly remember him saying that "In Utero" would be their last 3-chord grunge album and that he wanted to go in a more acoustic direction on their next album. I like to think that if he had lived, he'd have a career similar to Paul Westerberg or Tom Waits where he'd just be quietly going about his business, making records whenever he felt like it. He certainly wouldn't be as renowned or legendary as he is in death.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Otis64 wrote:
    Nirvana is no match to Pearl Jam live in concert. PJ on their worst day could own Nirvana in the live department.

Nirvana was pretty good live, but yeah good point :D
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • well some certainly want to be abused.

i like nirvana a lot, but i love pearl jam. don't think i could ever settle on a ultimate favorite between PJ, led zeppelin, soundgarden, neil young or AIC. those five are the absolute tops for me and i still find it amazing that 3 of the five are from the same place at the same time. in a certain, critical, worldly sense i believe that PJ is the best band to ever come from the US.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Where exactly are you going with this?

Thorns2010 wrote:

Now that is not to say I hold anything against them, because well.....its fucking Pearl Jam!!!!

I was watching Live Tonight Sold Out........the new DVD by Nirvana, and I had to stop and think......wow man, this band was the fucking best.

Would I have felt bad about that....you know it, and I respect the guys for carrying on in everything they have, but I can't help but think what if it was the other way around???

Would Kurt and Nirvana still be around today?? I hope and pray that they would, but I highly doubt it.

So to that I praise Pearl Jam for sticking it out! For making it out of the '90's and being the best Rock Band on the PLANET!!!!!!!!