INXS-Switch (the new album)

bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Anybody picking this one up next week? I'm on the fence, haven't heard or read any reviews yet although the first single has that classic INXS feel to it imo. I wonder how many time the Hutch' has rolled over in his grave?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    Well you have 13 weeks where the shows were on... then an extra 7 weeks because Dave Navarro was a host... and then you have about 14 more weeks because I think if he was still alive he would be drinking from Brooke Burke's fountain. So 34 weeks total of grave spinning
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • BUENA wrote:
    Well you have 13 weeks where the shows were on... then an extra 7 weeks because Dave Navarro was a host... and then you have about 14 more weeks because I think if he was still alive he would be drinking from Brooke Burke's fountain. So 34 weeks total of grave spinning

fuck that's funny!! Hutch sure did like the ladies
  • I actually picked this up today at Best Buy ( I assume they put them out by mistake). Without comparing it to the Hutchence era, it is a strong effort. I've only listened to it a couple of times, but "Afterglow", "Remember Who's Your Man", and "Never Let You Go" are all standouts so far.
  • was INXS an actual band before the show?
    there'll be time for laughin'
    there's no time to cry
    soon i will be leavin'
    look me in the eye
    no matter what's in front of me
    it's your face that i'll see
  • was INXS an actual band before the show?

Yes, throughout the 80's and through some of the 90's. Their lead singer Michael Hutchence commited suicide around '97. They were more of the alternative 80's sound and had diversity throughout their career. In an attempt to recreate the band, the remaining band members made a show to find a new lead singer. Which I believe should have never happened, or at least the way it happened. Itr truly disgusts me..it's almost as if they are trying to make an exact replica of Michael, but fails to impress because he doesn't have the same charisma that michael had. They were an amazing band in that time, however.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Just got their greatest hits today at Best Buy for $4.99 and I liked what I heard! Although I didn't get a chance to listen to all of the songs.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • twin1twin1 Posts: 902
    I was a huge fan of INXS in the 80's. I saw them twice in concert. I have their greatest hits cd and love it. They will always be one of my favorites. I like their earlier stuff alot better than the later stuff when they started going down hill and personal lives really messed up their "art" and moral. I will say I thought they were amazing, the energy and optimism of their lyrics and songs. I always think of "can't we all just get along" when it comes to them, unity and acceptance of everyone in a happy, optimistic way, not overlooking bad things but choosing hope for daydreams. It is rather sad and tragic that they were like a shooting star and Michael Hutchence killed himself like too many gifted artists. I recently got the INXS story to story: the official autobiography that I have started reading.
    Our love must not be just words, but True Love, which shows itself in action,
    No one needs a smile more than someone who fails to give one,
    After you die...you know how to LIVE!
  • How can they still call themselves INXS? What an insult to Michael...when a band member dies, that's the end of the band, plain & simple. If they were gonna do the whole "find a new singer" shit, they should have at least changed their name.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • How can they still call themselves INXS? What an insult to Michael...when a band member dies, that's the end of the band, plain & simple. If they were gonna do the whole "find a new singer" shit, they should have at least changed their name.

That's what I thought at first too. On the other hand, Michael was the one to take his own life and fuck up the careers of his bandmates as well so I think it is kind of a double edged sword

How is that any different from a band member quitting a band. If that's the case Pearl Jam should have changed their name about 15 years ago
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    How is that any different from a band member quitting a band. If that's the case Pearl Jam should have changed their name about 15 years ago

pearl jim.

I only agree with this logic when its someone like Hutchence who was in essence INXS. They were average musicians with a larger than life frontman who made them who they were. I kinda think the same with AIC but not so much.
    What a fucking shame a lot of people will pick up this new album and not know they used to be a band, and how good they were.
    Its been 8 years, but I still believe...PJ in NZ 06!

"No matter how cold the winter, theres a springtime ahead'
  • been a digging!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • brain of c wrote:
    pearl jim.

Pearl Ham
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    How can they still call themselves INXS? What an insult to Michael...when a band member dies, that's the end of the band, plain & simple. If they were gonna do the whole "find a new singer" shit, they should have at least changed their name.

So what about Metallica, Feeder etc, etc it's not like their the first band to do it.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Hmm not so sure about this. For me Michael was such a huge part of the reason I liked INXS, I don't know that I want to listen to new songs recorded under the old band name. What's the singer like?
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Any band that goes on a reality show to pick their new lead singer should be sent immediately to the money whore, has-been corner of the room and forgotten forever.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-