why I support Scott Weiland right now

bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
edited March 2008 in Other Music
I am not the biggest STP, VR, or Weiland solo fan out there but I do have some thoughts from what I have read about the man & the interviews I have seen.

*He has had an alcohol & drug problem from a very young age. This is not a problem he developed while touring with STP early on in his career or something. It will always be an uphill struggle for him in life and he will always be an addict. With an addiction of his magnitude that was manifested at a young age, relapse is always a concern as every day is a struggle for him

*Scott wants to be/loves to be a "rock star." He knows that rock fans love a rock star who will sacrifice anything (even his own health) to lay it all on the line. He wants to entertain & be adored. I can't image with this ideology how he could stay sober. As much as I appreciate the man/his band(s) music, I almost wish he would leave this lifestyle and go plant trees or something.

*He is torn between his loyalty to VR and his perceived lack of support from some of his VR bandmates and re-kindling his glory days in STP. Like them or not, STP continues to be fairly highly revered among fans of rock music.

*He doesn't want the fans to see something they didn't pay to see at a live show or something they may not want to see. He is asking for a little grace & patience while he gets his shit together. A lot of people would argue for the amount of money he makes and the attention he gets he shouldn't pick up that bottle or reach for that syringe....but in my opinion it just doesn't work that way for him.

I truly hope Scott gets the help he needs but at this rate I don't expect him to make it much longer. Just some thought and if anyone wants to tear them to pieces by all means.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I agreed with everything you said until "at this rate I don't expect him to make it much longer."

I think he's poised to be the next Keith Richards.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I think the fact that he voluntarily went to rehab before it got out of hand is a huge step. I think you raise some very good points. It must be incredibly hard being a recovering addict and being in a band. In the music business drugs are common place and the temptation must be huge.

I think the problem with all these super-groups is that there is nothing particularly organic about it, and each member feels the need to represent their particular style. It was the same in Audioslave, you could tell that musically they were caging Cornell in. For someone who was used to being such a dominant song writer in a band, suddenly having to accept the fact that the guitarist wants to shoe-horn a really indulgent and random solo into this beautiful melody you have just written, must be pretty annoying.

I think Scott is keen to get back to STP because he won't be out numbered in that band, they're all on the same page, so to speak. VR had a fairly decent run, they wrote a hand-full of decent songs, and put on some great high energy shows; but there is no denying that Weiland was far better in STP, and although I'm not a huge fan, the rest of the guys were better in G'n'R. I think for VR to continue with another singer, they would need someone they could mould into their ideal singer, rather than trying to make someone who has a very clear identity, fit.

Purely from a selfish point of view, I'm thrilled that Scott's going back to STP, they're an incredible band and I'm sure they still have some decent records in them.
  • mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    I support Scott forever because I think he's a great artist and STP has made some incredible music, the last VR was pretty decent too. To get on point, when you're in a rock band as big as VR or STP, you can surround yourself with people you want to hang out with. You have every possiblity and ability to hire a completely sober road crew, staff etc. So, while rock music is definitley a volatile lifestyle, that really isn't an excuse for the seemingly never ending drug problem he has. The bottom line was echoed above, the man is an addict, thats the only explanation he has to give. That doesn't excuse ingnorant or out of line comments he makes but, that's why the struggle continues.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • I support Scott forever because I think he's a great artist and STP has made some incredible music, the last VR was pretty decent too. To get on point, when you're in a rock band as big as VR or STP, you can surround yourself with people you want to hang out with. You have every possiblity and ability to hire a completely sober road crew, staff etc. So, while rock music is definitley a volatile lifestyle, that really isn't an excuse for the seemingly never ending drug problem he has. The bottom line was echoed above, the man is an addict, thats the only explanation he has to give. That doesn't excuse ingnorant or out of line comments he makes but, that's why the struggle continues.

exactly.I agreed with you
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • cmon guys enough with the patronage, he has bullshitted his fans and family so much

hes been in jail
    hes a fucking millionaire
    he doesnt get up and go to work like us

he cuts his shows short, he dicks his bandmates, he has been in the buz long enough to know not to pull the shit he did in that show

he is no rookie

when has keith richards done any of the shit weiland has, never

its not just drugs he is a mental case

very creative though

you guys sound as if your talking about ed
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows