Just blew the dust off my Midnight Oil discs

bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
edited November 2006 in Other Music
I sure miss these guys. I still can't choose between "Diesel & Dust" & "Blue Sky Mining" as my fav album. Those were the days when rock songs actually carried a message
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    What a great band!

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Love these guys! My favorite album is Red Sails in the Sunset but Diesel and Dust and Blue Sky Mine are both excellent! Think I'll listen to some right now. Thanks for the suggestion.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    One of my favorite rock bands of all time! I was lucky enough to see them live once back in 1993 when they played a double-bill with The Tragically Hip on the Another Roadside Attraction Tour. Easily one of the most powerful live shows I've ever witnessed. Peter Garrett is one of the greatest rock n' roll frontmen ever. The dude is an absolute force of nature. So much passion and energy.

You guys should check out their biography "Beds are Burning" by Mark Dodshon. It's an awesome read. Lots of great stories and anecdotes from each band member about their career, starting with their early days playing sweaty clubs in Sydney all the way up to their final gig at the WAVEAID benefit show in 2005.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    'Truganini' is a big favorite of mine.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    brhf9 wrote:
    'Truganini' is a big favorite of mine.
    same here. that one along with Bushfire.
  • All hail Warne Livesay!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I sure miss these guys. I still can't choose between "Diesel & Dust" & "Blue Sky Mining" as my fav album. Those were the days when rock songs actually carried a message

OMG! Midnight Oil! I saw those guys when I was travelling in Australia a loooooooong time ago (it was then I was INXS for the first time as well!!)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Blue Sky Mining is one of my favs.:D
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    direwolf74 wrote:
    One of my favorite rock bands of all time! I was lucky enough to see them live once back in 1993 when they played a double-bill with The Tragically Hip on the Another Roadside Attraction Tour. Easily one of the most powerful live shows I've ever witnessed.

I was there and I agree! That day has been etched into my memory. Great performances that day by both bands!
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    "One Country"...I love that song..can't remember what album its on.