i've figured out the best thing about R.E.M.

bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
edited February 2008 in Other Music
everybody's got their own distinctive opinion about the album's they've put out

i think the disparity is great
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    I saw them live in 2004 and I just wanted to hear orange crush and that was about it. throughout the rest of the show i was like eh. but hey if you like them that's cool i respect your musical preferences.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    medicine hat. awesome.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    only a fool would dismiss REM outright. i love some of their songs, but they don't "grab" me on a daily basis at all.

great band, no jiggity no doubt
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I love the diversity of the music they've done.
    out of time
    monster
    new adventures
    up
    etc.

each album is different and each is great !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The greatest thing currently about them is they are taking the national and modest mouse out as their opening acts on their tour and i'm going to see a show like this:

national
    modest mouse
    rem

Hell yeah :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I pretty much agree. People seem to like different R.E.M. stuff. I like about 90%. There are a few things (most of "Up" for example) that I don't care for.

The one thing most fans seem to agree on, though, is that "New Adventures in Hi Fi" kicks ass. That album's legacy seems to grow over time. I bought it when it was new and I can say, over a decade later, that it still gets better every time I hear it. I had to do a lot of driving today for work and I listened to it start to finish. What a classic.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I tend to agree.. I prefer their work in the 80's and early 90's but new adventures is a classic album so much quality on that one. Possibly their last great album. They have a dylan/young thing about them where they never stay in one place and always move on to something different. I love that in a band.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I tend to agree.. I prefer their work in the 80's and early 90's but new adventures is a classic album so much quality on that one. Possibly their last great album. They have a dylan/young thing about them where they never stay in one place and always move on to something different. I love that in a band.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I agree with Glasshouse...it's a great band with amazing songs and cds but it's not music i'll hear at a daily basis..sometimes (yes i said sometimes) it can get a little boring. The first era contains the best albums in my opinion.