The Watchmen

bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
edited March 2007 in Other Music
One of those bands who I'm still in mourning over their breakup. I was just listening to "Silent Radar" & "Brand New Day" tonight. Any other fans here?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Great band! I saw them live at least a dozen times between '93 and '98. Their live show always kicked ass and Danny Greaves had the best pipes in the business. McLaren Furnace Room is still one of the best debut albums I've ever heard. And I agree, Silent Radar and Brand New Day are both excellent.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I thought "Slomotion" was a hell of disc. I liked the their take on electronica on Disc 1 and as a bonus we got their greatest hits on disc 2. I guess Danny started a new band called "Doctor" which released a disc a few years back but I never checked it out.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    big fan, but never saw them live....just missed them when they toured with Big Wreck. I was drinking and pushing cars out that got stuck in the snow with my friends in the parking lot outside and lost track of time....doh....i felt like such an idiot. Saw Big Wreck though and they were great. :)
    I thought "Slomotion" was a hell of disc. I liked the their take on electronica on Disc 1 and as a bonus we got their greatest hits on disc 2. I guess Danny started a new band called "Doctor" which released a disc a few years back but I never checked it out.

I saw Doctor live once just after their album came out. They were pretty decent actually. A bit heavier than the Watchmen. Danny still sounded great though.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Loved them! I saw them a few times live... I wanna say they opened for PJ at Sun / Mudfest in 93. Man that was a million years ago.
  • One of those bands who I'm still in mourning over their breakup. I was just listening to "Silent Radar" & "Brand New Day" tonight. Any other fans here?

get over it...their singer is an asshole...doesn't deserve to be blessed with that sort of voice...fuck him.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • get over it...their singer is an asshole...doesn't deserve to be blessed with that sort of voice...fuck him.

got a story you're willing to share?
    get over it...their singer is an asshole...doesn't deserve to be blessed with that sort of voice...fuck him.

I couldn't disagree more. I met and chatted with Danny on more than a few occassions, and the guy was a class act every single time. One of the nicest dudes I've ever met. Come to think of it, the entire band were all great guys.

-Tom Waits
  • I also loved these guys. I would love to see them live again. Always a good vibe at their shows.