My fav Oasis album is "Be here Now"

bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
edited November 2007 in Other Music
i don't understand why the majority didn't get it. dropping buzz-bombs like "D'Ya know what I Mean?", "My big Mouth", the title track & etc. i never got into the big ballads of "What's the Story Morning Glory" although i liked "Definitely Maybe".

i don't know if my musical taste is that bad or i just like the bros. Gallagher songwriting while they're on smack. am i that wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    that album doesn't deserve the shit it takes. yes, it's over the top and a lot of the songs are longer than they need to be. but those songs still kick the shit out of 90% of the other albums released that year. dyou know what i mean is amazing. i think part of the problem was the gallaghers had gone so far with their cocaine fueled egos and excess people couldnt wait to rip it. i think guns'n'roses face the same fate with use your illusion.
  • They fucked up and missed their window.....coulda had it all, but couldn't keep it together. Are they even still releasing new material?
    "It's all happening"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Still better than the many bands best but I think its their second worst album (after DBTT) I just think the most of the songs have are unnecessarily long, many recycled parts, and some are just plain bad and boring. You have inspired me to listen to this tonight though since I havent listened to it for awhile.

Best songs on the album

Dont Go Away
    DYa Know What I Mean
    My Big Mouth

I actually think some of the b-sides are way better than the album cuts
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Still better than the many bands best but I think its their second worst album (after DBTT) I just think the most of the songs have are unnecessarily long, many recycled parts, and some are just plain bad and boring. You have inspired me to listen to this tonight though since I havent listened to it for awhile.

Best songs on the album

Dont Go Away
    DYa Know What I Mean
    My Big Mouth

I actually think some of the b-sides are way better than the album cuts

you're insane if you think dbtt is the worst album they've done. it's the best they've released since morning glory.
  • you're insane if you think dbtt is the worst album they've done. it's the best they've released since morning glory.
    I agree with that. Be here now and Standing on the Shoulders... had flashes of greatness but weren't near as consistently good as DBTT. Heaven Chemistry was pretty poor overall IMO.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Still better than the many bands best but I think its their second worst album (after DBTT)

surely you mean SOTSG??!?!?

DBTT is one of their best... OOTB!!!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    After DM and WTSMG aren't all their all albums just regurgitated lesser versions of those. Thats what they sound like to me. They are way too samey and formulaic to ever be a great band. Influenced as opposed to influential.
    I would like to see them live though in one of those 'have a few beers and chant out anthemic choruses for ninety minutes' kind of situations.Pop songs with the volume turned up and a bit of Manc obnoxious attitude just for the sake of it. Pleasant enough without being too taxing.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
    DBTT is boring as hell. The songs are too simple, I dont like the sound (no heavy songs on the album), and it just completely lacks standout tracks. There arent any songs on it that I would put amongst their best. The album also hosts one of their worst songs Let There Be Love.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

DBTT is boring as hell. The songs are too simple, I dont like the sound (no heavy songs on the album), and it just completely lacks standout tracks. There arent any songs on it that I would put amongst their best. The album also hosts one of their worst songs Let There Be Love.

you're nuts. keep the dream alive, a bell will ring, turn up the sun, mucky fingers, are all better than anything off heathen chemistry. track for track, dbtt owns that album. it also lacks the excessive bombast of be here now. i happen to like standing on the shoulders of giants, it's in the top tier.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    just give me morning glory.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Yuk,the dreaded/ "BLOATED" oasis album that led

to their ruin! Be Here Now SUCKS!
  • Be here now is fuckin awesome, probably my fave as well, though I do love morning glory. Don't believe the truth, in my opinion, is by far the worst they have ever done
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    you know there is nothing in this universe that could ever convince me that wonderwall isnt the best song ever. i know its not but that doesnt matter. i love it. and champagne supernova is, imo the perfect drunken karaoke song. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Be here now is fuckin awesome, probably my fave as well, though I do love morning glory. Don't believe the truth, in my opinion, is by far the worst they have ever done

Glad that somebody agrees, I would take the best songs off of all their albums over the average - crap songs on DBTT. Turn Up The Sun and Importance Of Being Idle are the only songs I even care to listen to on that record anymore. DBTT just grew stale so fast, I have no desire to listen to it anytime soon.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    be here now is good, but whats the story morning glory is by far the best oasis record.

I think that most of the stuff after be here now is very mediocre
    IMHO
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    this was the album that made me stopped listening to Oasis.

terrible, terrible album.

Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory, & Master Plan are classics.

Heathen Chemistry was OK..
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I don't get the hate for Be Here Now either. Some of the songs are dragged out a bit, but there are some good tunes on that record.
  • Be Here Now is a GREAT album, and I would say DBTT is their best work since BHN.

worst album has to be SOTSOG, although I'm not a big fan of the Definitely Maybe sound either. its a bit artficial punk to me.

The Girl in the Dirty Shirt is one of my favorite Oasis songs, DYKWIM is awesome, the title track is great, and I loved the extended All Around the World until AT&T kind of pissed on it. Magic Pie is great too. Fade In/Out and the acoustic Dont Go Away makes the 97/98 tour my favorite to listen to.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
    I think SOTSOG is their third best album easily. It has a couple crap songs but the good ones do more than make up for it, I wish every Oasis record after the first couple had as much experimentation and originality as this record. Gas Panic, Roll It Over, Who Feels Love, Go Let It Out, Sunday Morning Call, and Where Did It All Go Wrong are all amongst some of their best work. Even Little James has a good sound to it and a few good lyrics if you can get past some of the bad ones.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    yeah i like the album alot, haven't listened to it for a long time but d'ya know popped up on my ipod the other day & reminded me of it. always liked 'i hope i think i know' too.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • I think Oasis should go back to the big sound they had on Be Here Now and SOTSOG. If you combined the best songs off those albums you'd have the best Oasis album ever.

Fucking in The Bushes
    Go Let It Out
    Gas Panic
    Stand By Me
    Fade In-Out
    D'You Know What I Mean
    Don't Go Away
    Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is
    Where Did It All Go Wrong
    All Around The World