*.*.*.official R.E.M. thread baby.*.*.*

bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
edited August 2007 in Other Music
i've seen plenty of other great bands have threads in here but let's talk anything & everything R.E.M here.

fav albums, videos, tour memories, songs, anticipation for the new album, etc. i know there are enough PJ fans in here feelin' the love for the boyz past, present, & future. let's fire it up baby!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    i love rem! i had a 2 hour flight this morning and i think i listened to the great beyond about 10 times.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Low Desert!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Probably my second favorite band of all-time.

My favorite album is New Adventures in Hi-Fi and my concert highlight was being in the front row at the Richmond show in 1995.

Even though I've liked each of their last three albums a little less than the one before, they still make amazing music and the back-to-back-to-back efforts of Automatic for the People, Monster, and New Adventures in Hi-Fi ranks as one of the best runs in music history if you ask me.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    Probably my second favorite band of all-time.

My favorite album is New Adventures in Hi-Fi and my concert highlight was being in the front row at the Richmond show in 1995.

Even though I've liked each of their last three albums a little less than the one before, they still make amazing music and the back-to-back-to-back efforts of Automatic for the People, Monster, and New Adventures in Hi-Fi ranks as one of the best runs in music history if you ask me.
    make that Out of Time, Automatic for the People, and Monster and I agree with you :)
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    really looking forward to the new album :D anyone catch any of the dublin shows?
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    the stuff posted on youtube was really promising from the Dublin shows. i was really enjoying "Until the day is done"

my top 3 songs:
    1. Leave
    2. Crush with Eyeliner
    3. Orange Crush
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    the stuff posted on youtube was really promising from the Dublin shows. i was really enjoying "Until the day is done"

my top 3 songs:
    1. Leave
    2. Crush with Eyeliner
    3. Orange Crush
    1. country feedback :D:D:D:D:D
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • itsevobaby wrote:
    1. country feedback :D:D:D:D:D

For one song only, I couldn't agree more!
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I liked how they changed shit up with the Monster album - that drew me to them, and now I'm a pretty big fan of all of their work ( STill hate the end of the world though!)
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    I love all the albums but this one sticks with me most often! Dinner side/Supper side :)

Swan Swan Hummingbird-hoorah! we're all free now.
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    Reporting to R.E.M. thread. I think my screenname mandates it.

Really impressed with the bootlegs I heard of the new material from the Dublin shows. Hopefully this pans out into a good album, possibly even a great one.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    Big R.E.M. fan, they're probably my favorite band. I've seen them 7 times, went to NYC in 2003 to see them at the Garden. The day before the show, they were playing outside of the "Today" show at Rockefeller Plaza, so I went down there at 5am, waited in line, and got to see them there as well!

Favorite album for a long time was Monster, but now it's probably Automatic For the People or New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Fave song is The One I Love, it's simple and yet cryptic at the same time.

Up was pretty good, I thought Reveal was 2/3 of a great album, and Around the Sun was mediocre. I hope they do an album that shocks the hell out of everyone, like they did with Monster back in the day.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    REM- easily one of my favorite bands, but I do favor their older stuff.

my favorite tracks:
    Orange Crush
    The Great Byond
    Losing my religion
    strange currencies (Horrible album though)
    It's the end of the world....
    Lotus
    Ebow the letter
    Drive
    Man on the moon
    Bang and Blame
    bad day
    Daysleeper
    Night swimming

These songs rock!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Leave
    Country Feedback
    Final Straw
    Walk Unafraid
    Perfect Circle
    Nightswimming
    New Orleans Instrumental No 1
    Let Me In
    Low
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    country feedback and dont go back (to rockville) are my fav rem songs. cant wait for their new album!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i love Country Feedback and i think Monster is a great album... listened to it again after not hearing it for years and i think Peter had just found a new guitar toy and wanted to use it on every song, but i love

"What's the Frequency, Kenneth?"
    "Star 69"
    "Bang and Blame"
    "Let Me In"

i also love New Adventures... beautiful album

this thread makes me want to get some new live concert dvd's :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    dunkman wrote:
    i love Country Feedback and i think Monster is a great album... listened to it again after not hearing it for years and i think Peter had just found a new guitar toy and wanted to use it on every song, but i love

"What's the Frequency, Kenneth?"
    "Star 69"
    "Bang and Blame"
    "Let Me In"

i also love New Adventures... beautiful album

this thread makes me want to get some new live concert dvd's :D
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth? is the song that got me into REM....great song!
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    speaking of concert dvds, anybody got some fav moments from "Road Movie", "Tourfilm", or "Perfect Square"?
  • pjforeverpjforever Posts: 14
    my daughter, paige was born on 11/5/04. i went to see REM at Madison Square Garden on the night of 11/4/04. My wife stayed home because she "wasn't feeling well". her water broke upon my return from the show. REM will always be with me, and so will my daughter.
    look into the eyes of the fallen.....you got to know there's another..another..another..another..way.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    embrace wrote:
    I love all the albums but this one sticks with me most often! Dinner side/Supper side :)

Swan Swan Hummingbird-hoorah! we're all free now.

Agreed.. I was all over this band from their show at BU in 1984 up through their "green" tour in 1989 (Boston garden and great woods)

they lost me after Monster when Berry quit the band..

did anyone see how hard he was hitting the drums at the rock and roll hall of fame show?? holy god..

BTW> I have an amazing SBD of their great woods show in Sept. of 1989 mansfield, mass. that I got directly from their soundman when I was at the show (long story)>>
    I have given copies to very few people and would love to send it to one person to "spread". to fellow REM / PJ hardfcore fans..
    volunteers?

I wish I had a good copy of their second night at the Wang thearter in 1986>> I had 4th row center (yes, scalped) and that was one of the top five concerts I have ever been to.. I have a shitty audience recording but if they ever want to release a vault show.. man that is the one...
    Stipe's voice was mint..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • i think they have lost something without bill berry
    but i love rem

saw them in concert twice and listen to mostly everything, except maybe around the sun and automatic for the people (makes me too sad, memory thing)

I heard electrolite in a restuarant the other day and started grinning like an idiot...

which live dvd would you recommend i buy if i were to only afford one?
  • i think they have lost something without bill berry
    but i love rem

saw them in concert twice and listen to mostly everything, except maybe around the sun and automatic for the people (makes me too sad, memory thing)

I heard electrolite in a restuarant the other day and started grinning like an idiot...

which live dvd would you recommend i buy if i were to only afford one?
    personally I'd go with Perfect Square. some complain it is a little too slick on the production but it is a good mix between the new & old stuff and the venue in Germany is beautiful
  • Hi Jammers !

It's good to see a Thread about REM ! I'm A HUge Fan Since 1991 ! Saw Them 3 times : Toulon (France) 95Vienne( France )03 Marseille(France) 05

The best was the best-of tour in 2003.Some people say that the band sounded as its best in This year.I'd Agree cos' they really had a amazing sound at that time great setlist too ! Saw Glastonbury 2003 on vid and It's really amazing !

Best Albums : Out Of Time Automatic for the people But I like all their stuff !

Saw on You Tube many of the new song that they played on Dublin a month ago
    and I'm really exciting about their new stuff

Another Marvellous moment : The induction on Rock'n Roll Hall Of Fame By Ed
    I Almost cry !
    "Actually we could do a commercial for Dodge, Can't Find A Better Van"
    E.V
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• embraceembrace Posts: 849
    I am no longer on top of it with them as I once was, but I do feel that Michael Stipe is amazing and such a creative genius. They had a special "magical genius" as berry-buck-mills-stipe and when that changed I didn't rebel because Berry was gone it was just different and I fell away. Strangely these days I can listen to their later and new albums and still get great satisfaction and stand firm that REM is one of the great bands of my lifetime.

Just to add how fitting I found that Ed inducted the band that has been a part of my lifesince I was 9...with a speech that said everything (almost without saying it) Kind of "the evolution of my music foundation." The combination of Stipe and Vedder is truly genius collision.
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Find the River is such a beautiful song.

"The river to the ocean goes,
    a fortune for the undertow
    none of this is going my way"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"