live - gnr or pearl pam

IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
edited June 2007 in Other Music
is guns 'n roses a better act on stage or is pearl jam ??
I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
Come step inside my tears
Swim the magic ocean,
I've been crying all these years
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    G'n'R aren't even in the same league as PJ. I presume you are talking about the original G'n'R back in the late 80's early 90's? Sure Axl has that whole rock star shit down pat, but Pearl Jam have a far more extensive catalogue of music, full of far better songs, and they mix their set list up each night so you always get something special. With guns, you basically get what you see, a generic stadium rock performance, high on style, low on passion or anything else. If you are talking about the current incarnation of G'n'R, your question is quite frankly laughable! ;)
  • IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
    G'n'R aren't even in the same league as PJ. I presume you are talking about the original G'n'R back in the late 80's early 90's? Sure Axl has that whole rock star shit down pat, but Pearl Jam have a far more extensive catalogue of music, full of far better songs, and they mix their set list up each night so you always get something special. With guns, you basically get what you see, a generic stadium rock performance, high on style, low on passion or anything else. If you are talking about the current incarnation of G'n'R, your question is quite frankly laughable! ;)
    i am not talking about the current incarnation of gnr.

you have to agree that gnr's presence on stage was awesome, regardless of which of these two bands you like better live.
    I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
    Come step inside my tears
    Swim the magic ocean,
    I've been crying all these years
  • lazygun_99lazygun_99 Posts: 73
    gnr are awesome if you like waiting
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755

i didnt know there were diff kinds of league's with bands...
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Axl Rose at his best is the greatest frontman of all time and Slash fucking rips.
    Pearl Jam is great band also but GnR just has more charisma. As far as leagues go, GnR was up there with Zeppelin and The Stones. They're the last great Rock N' Roll band and no one since can hold a candle to them.

GnR at their best http://youtube.com/watch?v=mE8MCqkeADQ
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VtyqIRMJLCs&mode=related&search=
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_3LsF3UQfug&mode=related&search=
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=a0OxjoD0LpM&mode=related&search=
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=OJ36RuK3MBk
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_ES_XzmDKAc&mode=related&search=
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I saw VR live and heard some live concerts of GNR, but they can't compete with PJ. But GNR is a great band too, off course.
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    is guns 'n roses a better act on stage or is pearl jam ??

You are asking this on a PJ board, what do you think the response is gonna be like?

As for the person who says the old GNR didn't mix their setlist and didn't have passion obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.

The two bands are completely different, its really not fair to compare the two. PJ is by far the more professional live band but the recklessness that GNR displayed live also has it charms. It basically comes down to which band you like more, that is why on a PJ board you will get the majority of people saying PJ is better no matter if they saw another band or not.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i remember watching a live performance of GNR from right when Appetite came out... i was watching it on a tape that this dude i knew stole from MTV while he was interning with them... drinking whiskey at age 20 in the big city for the first time on my own. waiting for a 45 minute subway ride at 2am. GNR killed in that performance. one of my favorite memories. didn't even like the guy that much. this is back in 2000,.. good times. light years ago... glory days.
    i remember watching a live performance of GNR from right when Appetite came out... i was watching it on a tape that this dude i knew stole from MTV while he was interning with them... drinking whiskey at age 20 in the big city for the first time on my own. waiting for a 45 minute subway ride at 2am. GNR killed in that performance. one of my favorite memories. didn't even like the guy that much. this is back in 2000,.. good times. light years ago... glory days.

This is the video you're talking about.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=mE8MCqkeADQ

It's from the Ritz show.
  • AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    Anybody seen an "Appetite for Destruction" show? By far the best cover band I've ever seen. They play for 2 hours + and really kick ass.
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Matty Boy wrote:
    This is the video you're talking about.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=mE8MCqkeADQ

It's from the Ritz show.
    i think this is it. why the fuck hasn't this set been released on DVD????!!!!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    wtf, is this a joke?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Axl Rose at his best is the greatest frontman of all time and Slash fucking rips.
    Pearl Jam is great band also but GnR just has more charisma. As far as leagues go, GnR was up there with Zeppelin and The Stones. They're the last great Rock N' Roll band and no one since can hold a candle to them.

GnR at their best http://youtube.com/watch?v=mE8MCqkeADQ
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VtyqIRMJLCs&mode=related&search=
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_3LsF3UQfug&mode=related&search=
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=a0OxjoD0LpM&mode=related&search=
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=OJ36RuK3MBk
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_ES_XzmDKAc&mode=related&search=

you are crazy, and fuck Axl, I had to wait an hour and a half for them to play their show last November, he's a fuckin jerk! Great show, but PJ has way better, more songs, and they treat their fans 10 times better!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    TheGossman wrote:
    you are crazy, and fuck Axl, I had to wait an hour and a half for them to play their show last November, he's a fuckin jerk! Great show, but PJ has way better, more songs, and they treat their fans 10 times better!

You are right, Axl is an asshole, and Pearl Jam do treat there fans better, but I still prefer GnR's music to Pearl Jams. This thread comes down to personal taste pretty much. I would argue that GnR has more stage presence than Pearl Jam however.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    holtz wrote:
    As for the person who says the old GNR didn't mix their setlist and didn't have passion obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.

how can one be that passionate when playing cock rock?

I'm not saying G'n'R were awful or anything, and if stadium rock is what you are out for, then they are perfect - but personally I put them in the same bracket as bands like Bon Jovi - a lot of grandstanding and working the crowd, and not so much raw passion.

Pearl Jam are completely different, hence why I think they are in a different league/different level (whatever you want to call it), because they can illicit the same rapturous response without the need to do all that other stuff, so for me there is a greater sense of depth because they are totally focused on the music and not so much the performing side of it.

As for Axl being the best frontman of all time, I think you are forgetting Freddy Mercury, who as both a singer, and performer wiped the floor with him.

I'm not saying G'n'R were awful or anything, and if stadium rock is what you are out for, then they are perfect - but personally I put them in the same bracket as bands like Bon Jovi - a lot of grandstanding and working the crowd, and not so much raw passion.

Pearl Jam are completely different, hence why I think they are in a different league/different level (whatever you want to call it), because they can illicit the same rapturous response without the need to do all that other stuff, so for me there is a greater sense of depth because they are totally focused on the music and not so much the performing side of it.

As for Axl being the best frontman of all time, I think you are forgetting Freddy Mercury, who as both a singer, and performer wiped the floor with him.

Freddy Mercury and Queen are a little to gay for my taste. You obviously don't know much about music if you put GnR in the same league as Bon Jovi. Are The Stones and Zeppelin also too cock rock for you?
  • Well, first GnR have to actually play the show instead of cancelling it :D
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Freddy Mercury and Queen are a little to gay for my taste. You obviously don't know much about music if you put GnR in the same league as Bon Jovi. Are The Stones and Zeppelin also too cock rock for you?

Oooookay... How is the majority of Queen's stuff any more "gay" than G'n'R's songs? And I'm a huge fan of Guns and Bon Jovi, and I'd put them in the same league as Bon Jovi. Big stadium songs, fun, not much more to it.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    lazygun_99 wrote:
    gnr are awesome if you like waiting

lol
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ok, Guns N' Roses was MUCH better than Bon Jovi.

Secondly, that Ritz show kicks ass.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Oooookay... How is the majority of Queen's stuff any more "gay" than G'n'R's songs? And I'm a huge fan of Guns and Bon Jovi, and I'd put them in the same league as Bon Jovi. Big stadium songs, fun, not much more to it.

Hey now, don't compare Axl to Bon Jovi or he'll punch you in the face ;)
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200

Which one? Axl or Jovi? :D

Also, I watched that video everyone keeps talking about. If I saw more of the band instead of just Axl I'd be able to tell you if it was any good. But from what I saw, I'm sorry, Pearl Jam has way more presence on stage.

All it was was Axl doing his little.......I don't know what else to call it, wavey dance.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412

I can totally see the comparison..........both outdated bands
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • You're on a Pearl Jam message board! What answer do you think's goin to be more popular?????????????!!!!!!!!
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734

Yeah, this is cock-rock for sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYYfl3RtCns

When Bon Jovi rants like this, then yeah. This is a rant that Vedder woulda done in the early 90's. For real.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    You're on a Pearl Jam message board! What answer do you think's goin to be more popular?????????????!!!!!!!!

Thats what I said. Its pointless to have any discussion on here comparing PJ to another band, there are people on here who would argue that PJ doing Last Kiss for an hour would be a better concert than seeing Zep in the mid 70's in their prime.
    holtz wrote:
    Thats what I said. Its pointless to have any discussion on here comparing PJ to another band, there are people on here who would argue that PJ doing Last Kiss for an hour would be a better concert than seeing Zep in the mid 70's in their prime.

You're absolutely correct. I just find it funny that some people on here think that GnR is a one dimensional cock rock band that's comparable to Bon Jovi. Have you guys ever heard Civil War, Catcher In The Rye, or Estranged? Those songs are the height of cock rock.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    comparing GNR to Bon Jovi is crazy, while I like both bands, I think GNR had something BJ didn't, attitude. They were a band that could make great music and kick your ass at the same time, and BJ however was mostly a band for chicks. But I totally dislike Axl and Slash, Axl has reported so many times now that Chinese Democracy is going to come out for over 10 years. He is an asshole and treats fans like they are shit! I had to work at 8 the next morning after I saw him and his new band, and he didn't come out and play till probobly midnight or 1 and I had to drive 2 hours back home. GnR was great in the 80's though!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • GnR's Live At Tokyo DVD is pretty good, although the stage is a bit bloated with the horn players and extra honky-tonk piano player. If you are comparing charisma, I'll take GnR over PJ.

You can call GnR "cock rock" all you want. I've heard more than a few people call Pearl Jam "frat boy rock", so different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    You can call GnR "cock rock" all you want. I've heard more than a few people call Pearl Jam "frat boy rock", so different strokes for different folks I guess.

Yeah, I agree.... I don't see how a band like GNR is labeled as stupid cock rock, but Led Zeppelin somehow dodges that label.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win