reverend Horton heat 11/5/06 Middle East Boston!

momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
edited November 2006 in Other Music
Ok so I am going to see them on my birthday 11/5 in Boston at the Middle East. Love this club. I am so excited to see them but I have not heard enough of them. Anyone suggest a MUST HAVE prior to my adventure Sunday night???
Let's Go Red Sox!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Awesome. I hear they are still great live.
    I saw them in 1998 on the Warped tour and thought they were excellent. Do youknow what year Taz Bentley officially quit the rev as their drummer. For the life of me, I can't remember if he was playing drums or not. I was too far back to see.
    Also, Taz Bentley is now the drummer for the Burden Brothers and the Lead singer Vaden todd Lewis was the singer for the Toadies, so if you're looking for a cool new rock band, check them out in case you are wondering what Taz has been up too.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • I know of the Toadies. Big fan actually. I know NOTHING about Reverend other than he's got a lot of respect in the industry. I have seen a video clip of Galaxy 500 and that song sounded fun. My husband has a dvd of them live and in color that I started to watch but then my 3 year old decided Nemo was more important :-)

I am thinking I am in for a great show. He just looks like such an entertainer. I am just looking for any recommendations for something to listen to between now and then.

The show is only like $20 at the Middle East in Boston. That place is so awesome for seeing bands. I have seen the Melvins, Helment, Mr. Bungle (I think? I could be mixed up with the Avalon) and Less Than Jake.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    Lucky 7 is a great album to get.
  • I love the Reverend, it has been a while since I have seen them but they put on a great show.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I've never seen the rev. live but his music kicks ass. I heard good things though.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • thanks! I am really looking forward to going. Especially since it is my birthday. I will take a look at the albums that were recommended and see if I can download a few songs. I am not completely clueless to what or how he plays but I really only know 1 or maybe 2 songs but it did totally kick butt!

I now have just found out that I am also going to the Black Crowes this Saturday night in Worcester and then next Saturday night I am going to Ziggy Marley in North Hampton. So 3 shows in 7 days, not bad for this old lady!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Dude its the reverend, it don't matter, just go pick some stuff up. They have a new drummer, lost the good one to the Supersuckers, but that's the breaks. Jimbo is the man on the bass!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Dude its the reverend, it don't matter, just go pick some stuff up. They have a new drummer, lost the good one to the Supersuckers, but that's the breaks. Jimbo is the man on the bass!

Perhaps Dudette would be better :-) I know it's the Reverend. I just am just feeling a little lost not knowing much before I go. I am thinking at this point I am just going to go and just be blown away. Monday morning I'll throw down some cash on some cds, maybe they will have some there.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    momofglynn wrote:
    Perhaps Dudette would be better :-) I know it's the Reverend. I just am just feeling a little lost not knowing much before I go. I am thinking at this point I am just going to go and just be blown away. Monday morning I'll throw down some cash on some cds, maybe they will have some there.
    Holy roller would be an excellent album to get if you are really trying to get into the band. It's a 24 song greatest hits collection and will give you a little from each album up to that point. I wish that "the devil's chasing me" had been on this but aside from that this is a great album. It's got their version of the Johnny cash classic folsom prison blues.
    Be sure to let us know about the show, and what albums you end up getting... I'm interested to know.
  • I certainly will let you all know. I am just so excited. I have not been to the Middle East since Helmet and the Melvins and that show totally kicked butt! I remember doing a congo line with a few of the guys in Helmet after their show was over and the house band upstairs was just freaking great. Like 10 people in a space of about 2 feet with a tuba, big stand up bass, other horns etc good times!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • How incredible that was! I mean really, what a honor it was to see that band and just inches away from me. The Middle East is one of the better places to see a show. I was up front the whole show, from opening act until the last song! I shook Jimbo's hand just before they went into the Jimbo song. Jim said happy birthday to me and took my request to play Galaxy 500 and at the end of the night threw a pick at me. They played an Elvis tune, well you know what I mean, not that Elvis wrote his own stuff, but That's alright Mama.

Beforehand, we had fabulous food, with lots of drinks:-) We had such a right on waiter! Since it was my b-day I ordered a round of jager shots in which he preceeded to tell us how fucked up we were going to get from drinking them! Yummy middle eastern coffee. Very strong! He was just the coolest, he got us downstairs, cut the whole line that was outside. The opening act was called the Legendary Shack Shakers. VERY COOL band! Spoke with the singer and the bass player after they got off the stage. Definitely worth checking them out, perfect match with the Reverend.

I wish I could say that he played this song or that song but I just do not know them all. I know Blue Sky is what he opened with. I know he played a song about a fucked up ford. Some song with a jack daniel's reference. I am so sorry, I promse the next time I see them I will know what song is what. I did end up getting Holy Roller and Smoke Em if you Got Em prior to the show but only got about 6 songs before we got into town. I did purchase his Christmas cd at the show. Bought a great hoodie for cheap $$.

Now my husband wants me to take a night off from work so we can head up to Burlington VT to see them on Wednesday. I am still on the fence about it, but I will certainly see them again in Boston if they comes, which I know they will be back for sure.

So I hope this works for my review for the people that were interested.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • thanks for the review! I am jealous.
    I knew you would have fun... the rev horton heat = Good times. :D
  • it really was just a great time. I went to the Black Crowes the night before and that was a kick ass show too. Everything about this weekend was just so smooth. I mean everything. With parking within 50 feet from the door. From being able to run a bar tab watching the Crowes and The Reverend. From hanging out with great friends and my hubby. To meeting some really great new people too. It was a great birthday weekend. The only thing that went wrong was the Patriots lost to the Colts yesterday but at least I did not have to see it, I only heard about it.
    Let's Go Red Sox!