New MMJ Album!

Rhinocerous SurpriseRhinocerous Surprise Posts: 4,423
edited January 2008 in Other Music
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/48011-my-morning-jacket-announce-release-date-shows
Pitchfork wrote:
It's been too long since we've heard from My Morning Jacket. Since becoming modern rock mainstays off the success of 2005's Z, they've been picky with appearances and scant with releases. And picky/scant-ness works great if you're trying to build a myth, but it doesn't help us with our hunger for kickin' tunes! Thus, the news of a proper studio follow-up to Z is more than welcome.

The new album is currently untitled, but the band is finishing up its recording and mixing for a June 10 release on ATO. The record's production comes from frontman Jim James and producer Joe Chiccarelli, who has worked with the White Stripes, the Shins, and Brian Wilson. (Hey, maybe this is MMJ's bearded symphony to God?!)

Both the band together and James alone have a few tour dates on the docket as well. The first three are in Texas in March, first with Yo La Tengo and then as part of SXSW. Their final scheduled show is at NYC's Radio City Music Hall for "An Evening With My Morning Jacket".

MMJams:

03-10 Houston, TX - Verizon Wireless Theatre *
03-13 Austin, TX - Austin Music Hall (SXSW)
03-15 Austin, TX - St. David's Church (Jim James solo) (SXSW)
06-20 New York, NY - Radio City Music Hall ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")

* with Yo La Tengo

Can't wait for this. Do I remember an article saying there was a gospel influence on this record?
Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    That radio city show is going to KICK ASS.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• cool. i just recently got into them
  • Sweet! Might have to make an excursion to NYC for that.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    awesome news.....i have the okonokos dvd, and was lucky enough to see them open for pj five times, they are a wicked band. i also found this recently, anybody see it before?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/restlesssoulbdp/IMG_4156.jpg
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More MMJ!!!:D
  • clayton12clayton12 Posts: 337
    my favorite band in the world. god bless them and this album.
  • HOORAY!!!!!! I cant Wait!!!!!!!

They are seriously one of the greatest bands out right now and live they are mind blowing

i hope they do a full tour behind the new record. a summer mmj show would be spectactular!!

here's the Billboard article
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003696553
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Man, I'd love to see that MMJ/YLT show.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    this is exciting.. i am so trying for tickets
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am interested to hear the album. In a review i read before christmas it said the band was working on stuff that sounded like gospel music.....

I'll give them the benifit of the doubt until i hear it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I just got Orchestra tix for the Radio City show......HOLLA!!!!!!!!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Ohh that's awesome, chimpat - have fun! I hope I can get into their SXSW show...

Yes, the new record is supposed to have a gospel influence - I've read that a few different places, but the only link I could find is here:

http://www.relix.com/Features/Daily_News/An_Evening_With_My_Morning_Jacket_at_Radio__City_Music_Hall_200801152706.html
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    chimpat wrote:
    I just got Orchestra tix for the Radio City show......HOLLA!!!!!!!!

i hate you. i was on the website reloading till it said buy tickets, put in 3 tickets, and none were available. changed it to 2 then 1, nothing. i wonder if the presale is limited on how many tickets they can sell.

guess i'll have to wait for a major tour announcement. i never got to see them open for PJ=\
  • from mmj.com

Dear My Morning Jacket Fans,

Our sincerest apologies for the difficulty you had in getting tickets during
    the pre-sale. Honestly, the truth is that the demand pretty much overloaded
    the system. All the tickets we were allow to allot for this process sold
    out in ten minutes. Where this is an encouraging sort of good news thing,
    we're as frustrated as you are right now.

FYI: Live Nation is in no way involved in this show. I'd read on the
    message board that people were blaming them, etc.

That said, the show is going on sale on January 25th and there will be over
    5,000 tickets available. You will NOT have a problem buying them then and
    as we only sold every-other-row for the first 35 rows for this pre-sale,
    kick ass seats will be available.

One last note: As My Morning Jacket and management are sensitive to and
    appreciative for our fans/friends passion we elected to sell ALL seats at
    the same price, $39.50 so as not to make life difficult for anyone who wants
    to come see the band...no matter where they live.

Lastly, you should not have a problem getting tickets to this show. As
    there aren't an infinite number of seats at Radio City Music Hall, there are
    still tons of great seats available for the on-sale on January 25th. Our
    mixed emotions of enthusiasm for the speed with which this pre-sale reacted
    coupled with our empathy for how some folks had difficulty buying tickets is
    palpable.

Thanks for reaching out and we look forward to seeing you at the show!

Kindest Regards,

Mike Martinovich
    My Morning Jacket's Manager
    lephty wrote:
    i hate you. i was on the website reloading till it said buy tickets, put in 3 tickets, and none were available. changed it to 2 then 1, nothing. i wonder if the presale is limited on how many tickets they can sell.

guess i'll have to wait for a major tour announcement. i never got to see them open for PJ=\

I had the same problem, it kept saying "there are no tix available" but I just kept trying. I've been in enough of these presales to know that shit always goes wrong at the beginning, just keep trying. I finally got through at 10:15 with 2 tix.

You'll definitely get tix during the regular on sale date.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,225
    chimpat wrote:
    I had the same problem, it kept saying "there are no tix available" but I just kept trying. I've been in enough of these presales to know that shit always goes wrong at the beginning, just keep trying. I finally got through at 10:15 with 2 tix.

You'll definitely get tix during the regular on sale date.

I did the same thing...kept hammering away and eventually got 2. Should be awesome...
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    couldn't get tix during the presale but I'm gonna try next week during the public onsale. Is that through music today or ticketmaster?