Richie Sambora

Rhinocerous SurpriseRhinocerous Surprise Posts: 4,423
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Yeah, yeah, say what you will about Bon Jovi, but there's no doubt in my mind that Richie Sambora is an excellent guitarist - and in my opinion, a better vocalist than Jon Bon Jovi. He certainly has more substance to him than any of the other "hair metal" guitarists that came out around the same time. Just listen to his solo album Stranger in this Town - a very blues-influenced album.

Anyone agree/disagree/want to chime in about my "credibility"?
Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Richie's a good guitarist (and vocalist) but he doesn't really have a very unique style. He's definitely a lot better than most other pop-metal guitarists though. Stranger in this Town really isn't that great IMO... it feels very dated.

And I don't care what anyone says... the solo in Wanted Dead or Alive is pretty awesome.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I'd agree that he doesn't have a unique style, but I was watching Bon Jovi live in Wembley last night on VH1, and it just hit me: sometimes it's just nice to see a really good guitar player livening up some decent pop-rock songs. For example, Always is one of their most popular songs, and for me, it was middle-of-the-road, at best. But at that concert, Richie just ripped it up, and it made the song something special. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8XfKnDPlg

Stranger in This Town... Well, you say dated... For me, it just kinda captures a moment in time. Just imagine going from New Jersey, a very boisterous pop-metal record, to SITT, a compartively subtle, understated album. Completely different to anything Bon Jovi had even attempted up to that point, and I feel Richie pulled it off rather well.

Too bad Jon Bon Jovi seems to have pretty much stifled Richie on the last few Bon Jovi albums.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    Yeah, yeah, say what you will about Bon Jovi, but there's no doubt in my mind that Richie Sambora is an excellent guitarist - and in my opinion, a better vocalist than Jon Bon Jovi. He certainly has more substance to him than any of the other "hair metal" guitarists that came out around the same time. Just listen to his solo album Stranger in this Town - a very blues-influenced album.

I agree richie sambora is a great guitarist,i dont like admitting it but jovi was the first band i ever listened to back in 88, and i was abit obbsessed with them, dont tell anyone tho.my brothers and sisters never let me live it down.i listened to stranger in this town a few weeks ago, and it does sound a bit dated but its still a great album.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    He's decent. The 'Dead or Alive' solo IS cool.

And as cheesy as it is, the whole cowboy hat/throw he's got going on during that song is pretty cool.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • dave grolschdave grolsch Posts: 730

the guy is real talent,back in the day before he was really famous" yeah i am that old and recall them opening for kiss in 84" his solos were excellent and i remember several reviews comparing him to the greatest( van halen etc),excellent singer,nice fella as well(ask skid row),bon jovi are massive,but coulda been cool,your"cred" fooked
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    DOSW wrote:
    Richie's a good guitarist (and vocalist) but he doesn't really have a very unique style. He's definitely a lot better than most other pop-metal guitarists though. Stranger in this Town really isn't that great IMO... it feels very dated.

And I don't care what anyone says... the solo in Wanted Dead or Alive is pretty awesome.

I can't even listen to 'dead or alive' anymore because it's always used to plug that 'deadliest catch' show, which I believe is all the Discovery channel airs nowadays.
    I used to like the song though. It goes to show how selling out ruins a song for some people.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • i think he is a better vocalist than jon.

and a good guitarist, but hes not rated that highly because of the band hes in being, well, naff, in recent years.
  • Was anyone watching the UK Music Hall of Fame back in late 2006? My favourite moment of that was when they were inducting Bon Jovi, and they spent 5 minutes talking about Jon, then the first mention of Richie got a far bigger ovation from the crowd. I don't know why it made me happy, but it did.:D