Rick Danko/The Band

Rhinocerous SurpriseRhinocerous Surprise Posts: 4,423
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Listening to It Makes No Difference... This man could sing.

The Band: what a... um... band. The Last Waltz is just superlative-defying.
Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I definitely LOVE the Band.

I also love the tribute album that was just released this year. The Last Waltz is probably the best music documentary ever made. I might be biased. I grew up listening to the Band. Just a lot of great music.
    Cock Fight.
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Listening to It Makes No Difference... This man could sing.

The Band: what a... um... band. The Last Waltz is just superlative-defying.

agreed but you should read interviews with the other band members about how much they hated Robbie... hated how he came off looking like the band leader / mistro when everyone ignored him...all the time singing into an unplugged microphone on the DVD becuase his voice wa soo bad!!
    gives you a new perspective on the DVD once you know that..

Danko and the drummer were the true gems of the Band..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    agreed but you should read interviews with the other band members about how much they hated Robbie... hated how he came off looking like the band leader / mistro when everyone ignored him...all the time singing into an unplugged microphone on the DVD becuase his voice wa soo bad!!
    gives you a new perspective on the DVD once you know that..

I read about that, yeah. It was weird, because that DVD was my introduction to the Band, and I did think Robbie was the band leader.:p Wasn't it pretty much his idea to break them up at that point too?

And yeah, I love Levon Helms' vocals on The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. That song is probably one of the most epic I've heard.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    locked wrote:

the drummer? LEVON HELM you mean. :D

i can not begin to tell you what this band means to me. i remember when i was much much much younger catching the last waltz on the television very late at night and thinking it was the best thing i'd ever seen. since then i have always been of the opinion that they were the quintessential american band. and i don't mean US band(considering 4/5 of them are canadians) i mean american band. i loved the multi instrumentalists they were. i loved that they had three singers. i loved the way they barely tolerated robbie. i loved richard manuel and i cried when he killed himself. when rick died it was another blow. i loved the way my heart literally tears when i hear richard sing tears of rage. i think garth hudson is the sweetest thing any band could ever add their band. his organ on "chest fever" is just great. THE BAND are quite simply, the epitome of what a band should be. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    The Last Waltz is probably the best music documentary ever made.

Saw Levon Helm a couple of months ago at the Beacon Theater in NYC
    Awesome show

You can pay to go to Levon's ranch in upstate NY and watch him jam out with his friends, very cool
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    And yeah, I love Levon Helms' vocals on The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. That song is probably one of the most epic I've heard.
    awesome drummer, singer and possesser of one of the best names in music :) he was born to play americana with a name like Levon Helm
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    funny, i've been listening to 'big pink' at work this morning. my fave song from them now is 'when i paint my masterpiece'. i think dylan helped write it, but whatever.
  • daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    cc10106 wrote:
    funny, i've been listening to 'big pink' at work this morning. my fave song from them now is 'when i paint my masterpiece'. i think dylan helped write it, but whatever.

he didnt help.. he just wrote it. its about Dylan on the road in europe.. love that song. love the Band..
    maybe most underrated band ever.
    I change by not changing at all.
  • I was just watching the Last Waltz DVD there... Is it just me, or does Rick Danko seem to have influenced some of Richie Sambora's (Bon Jovi guitarist) stage mannerisms? (And cowboy hat predeliction)
    I was just watching the Last Waltz DVD there... Is it just me, or does Rick Danko seem to have influenced some of Richie Sambora's (Bon Jovi guitarist) stage mannerisms? (And cowboy hat predeliction)

well i don't know. would any guitarist in their right mind and worth their salt, want to emulate a bass player? ;):D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    well i don't know. would any guitarist in their right mind and worth their salt, want to emulate a bass player? ;):D

he was a guitarist at first actually. when joining the band/the hawks he had to play bass.
    Levon Helms book "this wheels on fire" is an interesting read :)
    I change by not changing at all.
    daanarts wrote:
    he was a guitarist at first actually. when joining the band/the hawks he had to play bass.
    Levon Helms book "this wheels on fire" is an interesting read :)

i am well aware of the history of the hawks/the band. i know what a gifted musician rick danko is and i know that ronnie hawkins groomed him as a bass player. but i highly doubt that any influence he may have been on richie sambora was through him being a guitarist is all i'm saying. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • i am well aware of the history of the hawks/the band. i know what a gifted musician rick danko is and i know that ronnie hawkins groomed him as a bass player. but i highly doubt that any influence he may have been on richie sambora was through him being a guitarist is all i'm saying. :)

Well, it wasn't so much as a musician, more just the kinda way he acts on stage. I dunno, I think I was drunk last night... Damn gin.