Scarlett Johannson sings Waits

Rhinocerous SurpriseRhinocerous Surprise Posts: 4,423
edited May 2008 in Other Music
So, yeah. Scarlett Johannson's CD of Waits covers is gonna be out soon, and they've released this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbfFsm2MRes

It's not all bad, I guess. But that's probably more to do with Waits' songwriting than her interpretation. Opinions?
Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I like it. I was expecting her to have some annoying girly, Kylie-esque voice but the fact that she can't sing really suits the song :)

Maybe it's just the novelty but I dig. I'll probably download the album.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • it really sounds like she was struggling to me. i dont think she sounded that good, but at least its not some pop crap from another actress.

however, I would pay to see her live if she hops up and down when she sings.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I would pay to see her live if she hops up and down when she sings

ME TWO
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    release30 wrote:
    I would pay to see her live if she hops up and down when she sings

ME TWO

Why even bother singing...
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I was somewhat impressed.

As if I needed another reason to constantly dream about her.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    That's pretty fucking cool.
  • So, yeah. Scarlett Johannson's CD of Waits covers is gonna be out soon, and they've released this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbfFsm2MRes

It's not all bad, I guess. But that's probably more to do with Waits' songwriting than her interpretation. Opinions?
    and the fact that she's clothed...
  • I should probably have mentioned that it's David fucking Bowie on backing vox.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    I should probably have mentioned that it's David fucking Bowie on backing vox.

Fuck, now that is cool!
  • I should probably have mentioned that it's David fucking Bowie on backing vox.

This was OK... but I'd be more interested in Bowie sings Waits. ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • This was OK... but I'd be more interested in Bowie sings Waits. ;)

At least they didn't let Rod Stewart rub his greasy mitts all over these songs... He damn near ruined Downtown Train for me.
  • At least they didn't let Rod Stewart rub his greasy mitts all over these songs... He damn near ruined Downtown Train for me.

Wow, I'm really lucky I never heard that.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Wow, I'm really lucky I never heard that.
    It's filth. Make sure you never do.

He had a hit with it too, which is more than can be said for Waits :(
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's filth. Make sure you never do.

He had a hit with it too, which is more than can be said for Waits :(

Actually, the royalties probably helped keep Waits afloat, so at least there's a bright side.
    Actually, the royalties probably helped keep Waits afloat, so at least there's a bright side.
    true
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Sounds flat. Still pleasant enough.

As for Rod, yeah he helped Waits gain wider recognition as a blinding songwriter. His version lacked that depth of feeling a fan of the original would want but his macho vocals gave it more upbeat, I remember it, twas long before I heard Waits himself though I'd seen him on Short Cuts.

Rod had some good records himself in the 70's. Nah, serious!
    An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down : A decent 30minutes of music.
  • This was OK... but I'd be more interested in Bowie sings Waits. ;)

me too. and Scarlett could just be naked and sing back up or just be naked. And the cd booklet should just be provocative pics of her. I'm not one to be into celebs at all, but she's impressive.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • great song.... oh man, oh man, oh man

http://idhitit.org/gallery/general041.jpg
    the Minions
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Scarlett could just be naked and sing back up or just be naked. And the cd booklet should just be provocative pics of her.
    Now that would make an immense difference. She ain't short a sheckle or two so whats the problem with showing us a bit of tit?
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    Her voice is completely average, but somehow the effect of the music (there's some over-powering drone over it) actually suits her voice and makes it an intriguing listen.

And also, she's hot.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    this is complete bullshit..some A list celebrity who wants to play musician for a bit...don't worry, it'll be produced and pro-tooled enough to make her sound ok. If she really had any guts she'd try to write her own stuff rather than cover someone that gives her project "cred". Maybe she should focus on improving her own craft before moving on to something else?
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I give her credit for musical tastes. I saw and heard her on stage with The Jesus and Mary Chain at Coachella last year. Not the worst by any means. I'll listen to this offering because of the novelty and the non-poppy, non-cookie cutter song she's singing .
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • thecorythecory Posts: 290
    and the fact that she's clothed...

ohhh not cool.
    Igottago wrote:
    this is complete bullshit..some A list celebrity who wants to play musician for a bit...don't worry, it'll be produced and pro-tooled enough to make her sound ok. If she really had any guts she'd try to write her own stuff rather than cover someone that gives her project "cred". Maybe she should focus on improving her own craft before moving on to something else?

Have you listened to it? Doesn't sound pro-tooled up to me, it sounds pretty raw actually.
  • triangleman12triangleman12 Posts: 193
    I liked it . . . her voice reminds me a little of Sinead O'connor's voice on Nothing Compares to You. I agree with the overall opinion of Rod Stewart's version of Downtown Train . . . ugggghhhH! Everything But the Girl does a good version of the song . . . (here's the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EypUPD7fLBU
  • nepalnepal Posts: 143
    The two covers I've heard so far haven't really impressed me, I mean the songs have some weird 80's sound and she sings like shes bored as hell. Not to mention that they have managed to produce away all the emotion that the original songs have.
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
    Have you listened to it? Doesn't sound pro-tooled up to me, it sounds pretty raw actually.
    Well no, he clearly HASN'T listened to it, otherwise he wouldn't make such prejudiced comments :cool:

I downloaded the whole thing. It's pretty cool. Nothing incredible but good stuff. Sounds like what might happen if Liz Fraser forgot how to sing and the Cocteau Twins released a Waits covers album. Fannin Street is particularly good.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    great song.... oh man, oh man, oh man

http://idhitit.org/gallery/general041.jpg

hahahahahahahaha
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Well no, he clearly HASN'T listened to it, otherwise he wouldn't make such prejudiced comments :cool:

I downloaded the whole thing. It's pretty cool. Nothing incredible but good stuff. Sounds like what might happen if Liz Fraser forgot how to sing and the Cocteau Twins released a Waits covers album. Fannin Street is particularly good.

I just downloaded it now, having heard Falling Down and Anywhere I Lay My Head. So far, it sounds like it could be the soundtrack to her next Lost In Translation-style movie. I'm definitely coming around to her style - I just can't see myself putting it on instead of the man himself.
  • Updated thoughts: I really like her take on I Wish I Was In New Orleans. But that's probably the least re-done song here, so that's not too much of a surprise, really. The rest of the album is actually pretty good, if you don't go into it expecting a Tom Waits record. In fact, between this, and Zooey Deschanel's She & Him album, actress-cum-singer efforts are starting to gain some favour with me.

*Waits for Megan Fox to bring out an album of Bauhaus covers*