Debate topic: Music is much better now than 10 years ago.

Sloth2Sloth2 Posts: 277
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I'm arguing the negative. That music in 97/98 was better than today.

The fact that Yield was released on 3 Feb 1998 won't be enough to get over the line, so if anyone has any ideas, feel free to help

:D
"I hope they feed you in jail" - Ed V to a stage intruder 18/02/2003 Melbourne.

High Above
i'll break the law
if it's illegal to be in love
leave the hatred on the cross
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i recall music 10 years ago being pretty lame. at the time, i was listening to all early 90s stuff (grunge) or classic rock. around that time it was all live, fuel, and second rate nirvana/pearl jam knockoffs. there is a lot of really great and exciting music coming out now.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Gettin' jiggy wit it, na na na na na...
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Definitely today. I can't think of any good bands to come out late 90's.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • There are always good bands around if you just take the time and look. No matter what decade.
  • Collin wrote:
    Gettin' jiggy wit it, na na na na na...

I was in a pub in Cambridge in 1998, where Syd Barrett was having a quiet pint. When that song came on the big MTV screen, he downed his beer in one and fucked off, sharpish.
  • i agree, i think the state of Rock music today is in much better shape than it was ten years ago, this time ten years ago i was prediciting the death of rock. then rock music went into its dark ages 1997-2001, when the crappiest of crappiest music surfaced, excluding a few notable ones. but since roughly 2001 rock music a made a comeback in a good way and artits seem to be getting back to music that is more emotional, socially aware, and political./ and plus alot more indie bands have broken thru and made their mark then there were in the late 90s
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    There are always good bands around if you just take the time and look. No matter what decade.

absolutely true
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    hard to say... i remember a LOT of crappy music from back then... BUT alot of the bands i listen to now that have broken up or are popular right now were getting started back in 1997 but i just didn't know about them.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Well some great albums released 97/98
    Radiohead Ok computer
    Built to Spill- Perfect From now On
    Neutral Milk Hotel- In an Aeroplane over the Sea
    Modest Mouse- Lonesome Crowded West

Overall i think the music now is better. Becasue besides some indie stand outs lik the ones above the music was very matchbox 20, Creed, Limp Bizcut etc. Very bad.

I think their are more good bands getting exposure now adays.

BUT i find their is always good music from every period if you look hard enough.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Well I agree that theres always good music somewhere if you look.
    But as for the mainstream theres not much that I like, and I think that most are all pop trend bands. BUT ten years ago music was: N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, and so many other crappy so called "Artists" that I think the whole industry is in better shape now. But as for rock, I dont see many new bands or artists in the mainstream (but thats not usually the best place to look anyway). I'de say there is plenty of other good stuff coming out its just not easy to find. But I have to stress how much I think that alot of the bands around now are trends.

Peace!

EDIT: Funny thing, I just notice that almost all my sentences start with "But". lol
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape in 1997
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore came out in 98 (that pretty much marks the end of The Smashing Pumpkins for me though others don't even like Adore).
    Nada Surf - THE PROXIMITY EFFECT in 1998
    Death Cab for Cutie - We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes came out in 2000

Some of my favorite bands got started in the late 90s early 2000s
    The Anniversary
    Pinback
    The Shins
    The Decemberists
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    i recall music 10 years ago being pretty lame. at the time, i was listening to all early 90s stuff (grunge) or classic rock. around that time it was all live, fuel, and second rate nirvana/pearl jam knockoffs. there is a lot of really great and exciting music coming out now.

ah, great bit of sarcasm
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Sloth2 wrote:
    I'm arguing the negative. That music in 97/98 was better than today.

The fact that Yield was released on 3 Feb 1998 won't be enough to get over the line, so if anyone has any ideas, feel free to help

:D

you must be crazy 10 years ago was 90's era and it's one of the best for me!

but then maybe my post is a waste of time if you're are a secret Bullet for my valentine fan...................... ;)
  • I'm not sure music is better today but it is FAR more accesible and easier to procure and discover. Which is probably why it feels like there is more of it.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I too think that accessibility has a lot to do with the conception that music is better today. I know that in the late '90's I still discovered my music via the local "alternative" rock station. On the rare occasion I could catch 120 minutes on MTV I'd find some slightly more interesting stuff (that's how I discovered Pavement just as they were about to break up!), but for the most part I didn't really have any idea what all was out there in term of independent music.

When it comes down to it there's no way to objectively determine if one year is better than another musically, but it's interesting to contemplate none the less.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    The musical revolution of the early-mid 90s has yet to be duplicated...meaning there hasn't been another musical revolution worth it's weight since. Late 90's music sucked in general. Late 00's is much the same.
    I love to turn you on
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    genie wrote:
    ah, great bit of sarcasm

i wasnt intending to be sarcastic? music in 97 wasn't very good (though the dude that pointed out perfect from now on and lonesome crowded makes a good point) i didn't think. i wasn't listening to new music in 97. i was listening to older stuff like classic rock or the seattles scene of a few years prior. i do listen to new music now and there are a lot of exciting new artists right now.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    There's always going to be good music, and I always find it annoying when people say "music isn't what it was 20 years ago" or whatever (mainly old stuffy music critics who can't get their arse out of the 60s)

But what with stuff like Myspace and Youtube, it's so much easier to discover more bands, so I guess you could say we have a larger variety of artists that are been played on the radio than we did ten years ago. Whether that's good or not, I dunno.
  • jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    muppet wrote:
    But what with stuff like Myspace and Youtube, it's so much easier to discover more bands, so I guess you could say we have a larger variety of artists that are been played on the radio than we did ten years ago. Whether that's good or not, I dunno.

Agreed. Gotta love the internet. As far as variety, I'm of the opinion that variety is always good, especially musically. Except country. Screw those rednecks. ;)
  • the 90's was a great time of music..ten years and more ago the music was better but it's true there are many good bands around the world now and they deserve the opportunity to be heard...
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"