the Beatles thread -> Please contribute something

2»

Comments

• fadafada Posts: 1,032
    HEHE the same could be said for chris cornell but he plays live shitty. Why does everyone on dislike the white album? WTF?

Long Long Long
    Helter Skelter
    Glass Onion
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    I'm So Tired
    Bungalow Bill
    Dear Prudence
    Julia

It's a great album for sure there is some filler, when I say filler I mean it in the most minimal way. But to come out with such an enormous amount of material after writing Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, and Magical Mystery Tour is crazy. Those are like 4 of the best albums of ALL TIME. Has anyone ever looked at the track listing of Magical Mystery Tour lately? Its almost like a greatest hits album.
    1. Magical Mystery Tour
    2. Fool on the Hill
    3. Flying
    4. Blue Jay Way
    5. Your Mother Should Know
    6. I Am the Walrus
    7. Hello Goodbye
    8. Strawberry Fields Forever
    9. Penny Lane
    10. Baby You're a Rich Man
    11. All You Need Is Love

and that just goes to show you how talented this band really was. Think about it. The band made "videos" as promotion, Sgt. Peppers was one of the first concept albums. To follow those four albums with the white album, let it be, and abbey road is astonishing. Thank god they knew how to end it when they were on top or they would have been the rolling stones. Even their solo stuff is amazing, All things must pass, Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Ram? The Beatles hands down were the best band ever. If you don't believe me watch the video of Hey Jude when the crowd rushes the stage during the na na na na na na part, because they were so emotionally attached to them.

Magical mystery tour was released as an ep in england ( 6 songs) and the album version in the states
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/dbsongs.html

great site in which each album and its songs have a wee description of who wrote each song and information about that process.

lovely stuff!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    I like enough Beatles songs to fill up one cd. So I made a compilation of all their work that I like, and I listen to it quite a bit. Rather than divide them into "eras," I think they were pretty consisent throughout their career. They always had some good stuff, but there were always a few songs that weren't so stellar.

The cd I made has...

Let it Be
    Dear Prudence
    Rocky Racoon
    We Can Work it Out
    Yesterday
    Help
    Ticket to Ride
    Eleanor Rigby (their best song, in my opinion)
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Penny Lane
    A Day in the Life (one of the most creative songs ever written, I believe)
    All You Need is Love
    Sgt. Pepper
    A Little Help From my Friends
    Hey Jude
    ...and I filled the rest with the best songs from "Abbey Road"
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • I like enough Beatles songs to fill up one cd. So I made a compilation of all their work that I like, and I listen to it quite a bit. Rather than divide them into "eras," I think they were pretty consisent throughout their career. They always had some good stuff, but there were always a few songs that weren't so stellar.

The cd I made has...

Let it Be
    Dear Prudence
    Rocky Racoon
    We Can Work it Out
    Yesterday
    Help
    Ticket to Ride
    Eleanor Rigby (their best song, in my opinion)
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Penny Lane
    A Day in the Life (one of the most creative songs ever written, I believe)
    All You Need is Love
    Sgt. Pepper
    A Little Help From my Friends
    ...and I filled the rest with the best songs from "Abbey Road"

cool cool, and thats whats so great about the Beatles that everyone has their own favorite songs by them because every song was so wonderfully produced they cater to everyones separate interests. I like how you had Dear Prudence on there thats a real obscure choice, as well as rocky raccoon, and am I correct in assuming that you put the side B melody of abbey road to fill the rest?
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Ringo has an awesome solo career.

Check out

Ringo the 4th
    Ringo Rama w Dave Gilmour
    Blues boutique
    Self Titled w lennon, mcartney and harrison

He's still touring too. Check him out for sure. Whats better than Dont pass me by in the flesh? ANd octopusses garden too.
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    you have the unique opportunity to listen to all of these albums in chronological order and witness the development of possibly the best band of all time. listen to them in the order they were released in, but if i were you, i wouldn't do it all at once. let each one sink in. realize, when you get to the rubber soul/revolver era, that you are hearing a band pioneering the face of rock music for a long time to come.

i really wish i could be like you, not hearing any of their material yet. i would have loved to go through the albums chronologically instead of in random order.

have fun!!
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    ANYthing by the beatles is pure gold. period. yes, it is just imho, but yea...i stand by it. seriously. total LOVE for the beatles, pure genius. btw - i ADORE the white album, particularly disc 2..... but it's all amazing! abbey road is pure brilliance, can't go wrong. just listen, enjoy, fall in love....and you'll see.........:)

edit - ooooo, just read dead mosquito's post above me, great advice, do that! really see their growth/progression....sounds like an excellent plan of action.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Magical Mystery Tour! Love that album, esp Blue Jay Way.

Best Beatles album ever...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i like some beatles stuff. and i don't like some beatles stuff.
    when i bought abbey road i was a little disappointed. but that perhaps has more to do with me rather than the beatles. but you know there's no rule that says you have to like the beatles.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    i like some beatles stuff. and i don't like some beatles stuff.
    when i bought abbey road i was a little disappointed. but that perhaps has more to do with me rather than the beatles. but you know there's no rule that says you have to like the beatles.

But there should be.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,851
    "Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out.....they leave the west behind"

the most brilliantly sarcastic song ever
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.